Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2018, 05:43 PM   #1

Help to see if autofocus fine tuning looks alright.

So I ordered the FA 77mm through Amazon with Adorama as the third party seller. Package arrived with water damage to box and also to the lens box inside. So I returned that one and ordered one shipped and sold from Amazon. It came today in the thin padded envelope packaging (I've ordered supplements and shoelaces that even come in a box with the air pouch packaging but somehow an $800 lens doesn't deserve it). So I put it on the tripod and set up the Lens Spyder autofocus calibration tool. It was rear focusing so I kept adjusting it this image is +10. Also I don't think that it is decentered but wanted to get the forums opinion as well. Does it appear acceptable or should I contact Amazon again and get another lens shipped out? Thanks for the help.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
04-26-2018, 06:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BullsOnParade81 Quote
So I ordered the FA 77mm through Amazon with Adorama as the third party seller. Package arrived with water damage to box and also to the lens box inside. So I returned that one and ordered one shipped and sold from Amazon. It came today in the thin padded envelope packaging (I've ordered supplements and shoelaces that even come in a box with the air pouch packaging but somehow an $800 lens doesn't deserve it). So I put it on the tripod and set up the Lens Spyder autofocus calibration tool. It was rear focusing so I kept adjusting it this image is +10. Also I don't think that it is decentered but wanted to get the forums opinion as well. Does it appear acceptable or should I contact Amazon again and get another lens shipped out? Thanks for the help.
Its hard to tell at this resolution. You should be able to tell if the sharpest focus is centered around the 0 line. It looks to be a bit back focused as far as I can tell since the back 6 is definitely clearer than the front 6 but that's better than front focused in my opinion. How far from the target were you? The Lens Align protocol is 8.3 feet per 100mm of focal length which should be right for the Spyder Lens Cal also.

After looking a bit more it seems that the back 1 is the actually in better focus than the 0 is and better than the front 1.

Larry

Last edited by Larrymc; 04-26-2018 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Additional comment
04-26-2018, 07:11 PM   #3

Original Poster
Here are the same images cropped (should have done that from the beginning sorry).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
04-26-2018, 07:16 PM   #4

The 1 above the 0 is clearer.

04-26-2018, 08:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here are the same images cropped (should have done that from the beginning sorry).
Same as before it still looks a bit back focuses. Its close but still back focusing and you are at +10 so no leeway at all. I'd send it back.

Larry
04-27-2018, 01:18 AM   #6
Forum Member

It looks like you placed the small target close to the ruler in the middle of the frame, under the center focus point.

If I did that with my K5IIs, the focus points being so big, I might actually be focusing on the ruler rather than the target.
I also know that in doubt, it loves focusing on the background. I guess the K1 doesn't behave like that as much though.

Maybe try focusing on the big target, just to be sure your camera isn't focusing on the ruler. I know the K1 focus points are smaller,but it is worth trying, in my opinion.
04-27-2018, 02:35 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjsaure Quote
It looks like you placed the small target close to the ruler in the middle of the frame, under the center focus point.

If I did that with my K5IIs, the focus points being so big, I might actually be focusing on the ruler rather than the target.
I also know that in doubt, it loves focusing on the background. I guess the K1 doesn't behave like that as much though.

Maybe try focusing on the big target, just to be sure your camera isn't focusing on the ruler. I know the K1 focus points are smaller,but it is worth trying, in my opinion.
Your right I aimed at the small target. I’ll try the larger target today and see if there is a difference. Thanks

04-27-2018, 09:12 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your right I aimed at the small target. I’ll try the larger target today and see if there is a difference. Thanks
Regardless of where you aimed, the lens is still back focusing quite a bit. Put the red dot on the center of the large target then take a series of shots de-focusing manually each time toward the shallow range (not toward infinity). Use a wireless shutter release or a wired shutter release and wait just a bit after de-focusing to allow for tripod oscillations to stop. Some say to turn off shake reduction but I have found that shake reduction actually helps with shutter speed you have been using. Also you need a lot of light on the target.

Larry
04-27-2018, 10:25 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Should take one using live view, as this shouldn't be affected by front or back focusing, then you can compare your vf shots to it. It should give you an accurate representation of what it should be.
04-27-2018, 10:33 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dick897 Quote
Should take one using live view, as this shouldn't be affected by front or back focusing, then you can compare your vf shots to it. It should give you an accurate representation of what it should be.
I did use live view.
04-27-2018, 11:03 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I did use live view.
For all of them ? Or just as a comparison shot ?
04-27-2018, 11:10 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dick897 Quote
For all of them ? Or just as a comparison shot ?
For these two. Didn’t have too much time to play with the lens. Hopefully more time today.
04-27-2018, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

For these two. Didn’t have too much time to play with the lens. Hopefully more time today.
From what I can remember, live view shouldn't be affected by front or back focusing, to do with pdaf and cdaf as far as I know.
If you're having issues with live view focusing, I'd say send it back.

I might learn from this thread too as I could be wrong.
Good luck and fingers crossed
Derek
04-27-2018, 05:15 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm sort of confused. Were you using the viewfinder when you shot the last two shots here or were you using live view? If you were using Live View then A/F fine adjustment doesn't affect Live View. View Finder focusing via the A/F Module is affected by A/F fine adjustment because the procedure is actually making minute adjustments of the Focus Module.
04-27-2018, 05:32 PM   #15

Original Poster
Yes it had been a while since fine tuning autofocus and I was trying to do it through live view that I rarely even use. When I got home I set it back up on the tripod and got it to +5. Still may be a little back focused but so may try +6. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by BullsOnParade81; 04-27-2018 at 05:56 PM.