Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2018, 11:23 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 17
Setting up Lightroom in Windows 10 - saving photos on different drive

Hi having decided to take the plunge into lightroom and photoshop i have purchased a shinny new desk top with a 256gb SSD and a 1T hard drive. Lightroom etc are loaded onto the SSD for speed of use but i see that the image files will also save there and i think it will fill the SSd up quite quickly. This may sound like a school boy question but does anybody have any advice about the setting i need to move the files to the larger drive. I have looked at moving the default window pictures file but that might create some conflicts, well that is what the university of google suggests. Sorry if this is a bit of an idiot question but any advice gratefully received.

05-01-2018, 12:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,731
From a real "non-geek":

I load my image files (from the SD cards) to the SSD then just transfer them to the HDD after having done the appropriate PP, if needed.
The "keepers" go to an external drive and I flush out the unwanted ones. In your case you could just keep your "keepers" in the on-board HDD.
Not automatic, but that's how I do it.

I'm sure someone will offer a much easier/faster/more efficient way to do it ?
05-01-2018, 12:05 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,237
QuoteOriginally posted by RussH Quote
but i see that the image files will also save there and i think it will fill the SSd up quite quickly.
That is strange. Are you saying you have user account files on the SSD? Lightroom itself should install to the Programs directory (should be on the SSD) with the default catalog location being on the HDD* in the user's account directories (i.e. something like c:\Users\me\Pictures\Lightroom). The picture files themselves are then stored somewhere else such as c:\Users\me\Pictures\photos\2018\5_1_2018 for photos taken today. All of this is configurable and none is set in stone, though getting it straight early on is preferable to changing things later.

There are several things that are important in regards to best practice and file management:
  • Put your source files (mostly files from your camera) in a well-known location where they will live until you need to move them to a new computer or cloud storage
  • Put your Lightroom catalog folder where it will be fairly immune from accidental deletion or modification
  • Don't mix source (imported) files with exported (edited) files or Lightroom's catalog files. They are all important but different. Your edits (edit instructions actually) and management structure are the concerns of the catalog, your source files are sacred, and your edited output is the reason you are doing all of this. Treat all three separately in your backup strategy
  • Have a backup strategy. The Achilles Heel of Lightroom is the centrality of the catalog. If it gets lost or corrupted much is lost. This is particularly true when you get more comfortable with the program's image management, collections, and virtual copy features. The same is true of your source and output directories.


Steve

* The catalog is written to frequently during editing and not a good thing to do to your SSD.
05-01-2018, 12:17 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,237
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I load my image files (from the SD cards) to the SSD then just transfer them to the HDD after having done the appropriate PP, if needed.
This might work well when doing culling* prior to import to Lightroom, but files once imported should generally not be moved. The SSD does provide an incredible boost to "read" performance, but as noted by the OP, one runs the risk of quickly filling up the SSD with files that are seldom read. For example, my directories of photo files (both source and edited) are about 1.5 TB at present with about half of that being generated since I built the computer.


Steve

* Assuming there is little concern about SSD life due to write/delete actions.

05-01-2018, 12:38 PM   #5
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 17
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
From a real "non-geek":

I load my image files (from the SD cards) to the SSD then just transfer them to the HDD after having done the appropriate PP, if needed.
The "keepers" go to an external drive and I flush out the unwanted ones. In your case you could just keep your "keepers" in the on-board HDD.
Not automatic, but that's how I do it.

I'm sure someone will offer a much easier/faster/more efficient way to do it ?
Thanks that sounds like a reasonable go around

---------- Post added 05-01-18 at 12:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is strange. Are you saying you have user account files on the SSD? Lightroom itself should install to the Programs directory (should be on the SSD) with the default catalog location being on the HDD* in the user's account directories (i.e. something like c:\Users\me\Pictures\Lightroom). The picture files themselves are then stored somewhere else such as c:\Users\me\Pictures\photos\2018\5_1_2018 for photos taken today. All of this is configurable and none is set in stone, though getting it straight early on is preferable to changing things later.

There are several things that are important in regards to best practice and file management:
  • Put your source files (mostly files from your camera) in a well-known location where they will live until you need to move them to a new computer or cloud storage
  • Put your Lightroom catalog folder where it will be fairly immune from accidental deletion or modification
  • Don't mix source (imported) files with exported (edited) files or Lightroom's catalog files. They are all important but different. Your edits (edit instructions actually) and management structure are the concerns of the catalog, your source files are sacred, and your edited output is the reason you are doing all of this. Treat all three separately in your backup strategy
  • Have a backup strategy. The Achilles Heel of Lightroom is the centrality of the catalog. If it gets lost or corrupted much is lost. This is particularly true when you get more comfortable with the program's image management, collections, and virtual copy features. The same is true of your source and output directories.


Steve

* The catalog is written to frequently during editing and not a good thing to do to your SSD.
The windows default folders are in the C drive (ssd) but I had not checked for the lightroom files. I will take a look before I do anything drastic. Thanks for the advice. Russ
05-01-2018, 01:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian
khardur's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW Massachusetts
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,534
Upon initial install, Lightroom will prompt you to create a catalog file. That will be the default file, where you chose to install that is where it will reside until you change it.
Somewhere in the preferences / File Handling is where you can set where backups are stored (point this to the external drive with lots of extra space). Also yes I'd move the live catalog file to the external as well. It can get quite large.


Pro tip: Don't use the "Import" function in Lightroom. It does too many things at once and it's slow. It's trying to move your files from the SD card, keyword them, create catalog entries, create previews all at once. (though this is not as noticeable on a newer computer).
What I do to import is
1) create the dated folder in my Lightroom directory.
2) Copy/paste the images from the SD card into the folder directly through Windows.
3) In the Library view, I go to the "Folders" section along the left. Hit the + sign, and browse for the folder of images I just copied.
When you select your folder, the import window will pop up, and instead of "copy" you're just "add" files to the catalog, and you can apply import settings and keywords all the same..

This method works MUCH faster than copying the files from the SD card through Lightroom, and is especially noticeable if you're doing an event or something and you've got 500+ photos to add all in one shot.
05-01-2018, 01:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
mattt's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Niagara
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,017
Don't forget, for files already added to your catalogue, use Lightroom to perform the move from the SSD to the HD. Not a big deal on a new machine but making a move outside if lightroom can cause grief trying to match up the lightroom sidecar to the image file on more full / mature machines.

I actually have been saving my images to two pocket drives as I go. One is a working copy and the other a back up. Easy to set up. Watch a few of Julianne Kost's tutorials from Adobe

http://www.jkost.com/lightroom.html
05-01-2018, 01:34 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,237
QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
When you select your folder, the import window will pop up, and instead of "copy" you're just "add" files to the catalog, and you can apply import settings and keywords all the same..
Cool! I was unaware to this "backdoor" way to do the import.* FWIW, I too don't import directly from the SD card. I copy the folders with the images to my desktop where I do some EXIF editing (I manually edit unsupported lenses into the metadata). I then use the LR import view to batch copy the files into my photos "tree" where they go into folders by capture date with modified file names and batch-appropriate tags and initial import processing.

I am curious, have you ever tried using Lightroom's watched-directory feature?


Steve

* This is at least partially because I use LR to write the directory and file names and because I am pretty strict about doing writes/deletes on my LR image "folders" (those mirrored in LR for imported files) except from within the program. It is too much trouble to reconcile changes to the catalog, otherwise.

05-01-2018, 04:25 PM   #9
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,201
I use a Windows 10 machine with a solid state drive as well as a secondary large harddrive. There's nothing preventing you moving your "Pictures" folder from the C drive to another drive. In my case, my Windows "Pictures" folder is located in my OneDrive folder which lives on my D drive, so, not only is it not clogging up the (smaller) SSD but it's also automatically backed up to OneDrive in the cloud. Lightroom has no problem accessing the files in the D drive / OneDrive folder. I likewise save the Lightroom catalogue to OneDrive.
05-01-2018, 04:55 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Wingincamera's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Spanaway, WA. USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 747
My computer setup is similar to the OP's with two drives on my laptop, an SSD, and 7200 rpm HD. My SSD drive or C drive contains the OS and all installed programs. All data from those programs are stored on the second HD. The way khardur explained his procedure is faster for moving the files from the SD card to the computer. If I am importing a large number of pic's that will have the same name and other description that is what I do. When LR imports them I have LR rename the files with the subject title first followed by the number the camera has assigned the file. But this does not work if an event or from my church. Example, if at church I would have taken pictures of the Worship Team, maybe the Tech Booth, Welcome Table, children's rooms other scenes. I do not want them all to have the same name, so I use LR to download them in sections, renaming each group of similar pictures with the name that describes the subject. An example would be during a baptism service: Libee with Karissa 7287_20180422.DNG
Another example, the picture "53 Night Prayer Healing 5525_20180209.jpg" is located on the "D" drive in this folder: D:\Pictures\2018 INDIA TRIP\India Church photos\Feb 09 Fasting Prayer, Night prayer service.

My LR catalog is located on the SSD drive with LR, and the LR catalog backup file is on my data drive (D) in the Picture folder. In addition to this, I do regular backups to two different USB drives, of both the OS drive and the D drive,
05-02-2018, 05:36 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
lsimpkins's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 304
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I use a Windows 10 machine with a solid state drive as well as a secondary large harddrive.
Mark, my system is set up much like yours - SSD for OS and operating programs and HD for all my data files. It works well with LR.

To the OP - there is no problem Importing via LR directly to the HD. In the Import dialog, you can specify exactly what drive and directory you want the images to go to directly from the SD card using the Copy option in the Import dialog. I actually import to a "Temporary" subdirectory under Pictures by date of capture. Once I have culled and edited, I move (via LR) the keepers to their "permanent" directory which I create in LR also under Pictures. Other workflows are probably just as effective, but this seems to work for me.
05-07-2018, 09:46 AM   #12
Pentaxian
khardur's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW Massachusetts
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,534
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

I am curious, have you ever tried using Lightroom's watched-directory feature?

Steve

* This is at least partially because I use LR to write the directory and file names and because I am pretty strict about doing writes/deletes on my LR image "folders" (those mirrored in LR for imported files) except from within the program. It is too much trouble to reconcile changes to the catalog, otherwise.
I don't use a watched directory feature. Is that in Lightroom CC? I refuse to go the subscription route. I don't need yet another monthly recurring payment.
I'm using LR 6.6 or somewhere whatever the latest non-subscription 6 version is.

I have presets set up when I export DNGs to jpg for editing that they automatically add to catalog, etc. I'm pretty big on keywording everything upon import and using smart collections to organize into specific assigments and/or family stuff.
05-07-2018, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,237
QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
Is that in Lightroom CC?
It is an older feature going back a few versions. The other name is "auto import". This is not a feature that I use, but it might be useful to you. You can designate a folder to watch as well as one to import into along with associated settings. To set it up:
Library Module > File > Auto Import...
Steve
05-10-2018, 11:02 AM   #14
Pentaxian
khardur's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW Massachusetts
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,534
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is an older feature going back a few versions. The other name is "auto import". This is not a feature that I use, but it might be useful to you. You can designate a folder to watch as well as one to import into along with associated settings. To set it up:
Library Module > File > Auto Import...
Steve
ahh I'll look at that.

I know if I in a memory card the import dialog box pops up.. I still find doing the move through Lightroom to be slower than moving the files first, and then importing those folders. (because usually I'm only doing one day at a time... so it's not really anything much in the way of extra steps on my part to make one folder and then copy/paste files.)
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
advice, backup, camera, catalog, drive, files, lightroom, lightroom in windows, management, output, pentax help, photography, question, source, ssd, strategy, troubleshooting
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-1 tethering with Lightroom CC on Windows 10 matewka Pentax K-1 15 05-20-2016 12:36 AM
Lightroom compatability with Windows 10 bugman Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 10 03-09-2016 02:01 PM
Using Lightroom with catalog and photos on external drive Riverlady Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 11 06-27-2015 05:42 AM
Saving EV compensation for different lenses on K-30 dcpropilot Pentax K-30 & K-50 7 02-26-2014 12:35 AM
Help...2 different cameras, same lens, 2 different results. Photos attached. Hope9811 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 11 08-01-2013 04:50 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:05 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top