Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2018, 08:51 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Sensor cleaning marks on a used sony I got today, is it bad?

I got a used sony a6000 body on a good deal and just got it tonight and it has some cleaning marks and probably sensor dust. Here is an image. The marks can only be seen at an angle and not clearly visible if you stare straight. Is it bad or normal. I'm thinking of shooting the sky at low aperture (F16) to see it brings any spots. But before that I'd like some advice. Thanks

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
05-01-2018, 09:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

If the frame looks uniform when taking a single color photo then I doubt there's any problems. Make sure you also try extreme iso and long exposure shots to stress the sensor.

But depending on how good of a deal it really was I might still consider talking to the seller about it.
05-01-2018, 10:11 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Are they cleaning marks, or just an indication that it was never cleaned, but should have been? They kind of look like something got on the sensor.
05-01-2018, 10:13 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
If the frame looks uniform when taking a single color photo then I doubt there's any problems. Make sure you also try extreme iso and long exposure shots to stress the sensor.

But depending on how good of a deal it really was I might still consider talking to the seller about it.
Thanks for the update. I got it for 259, body only with box and accessories. Either way I'll call them tomorrow and update them. I ordered 2 cameras and both of them came today and both of them have issues ...

---------- Post added 05-02-18 at 12:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Are they cleaning marks, or just an indication that it was never cleaned, but should have been? They kind of look like something got on the sensor.
yes, they could be anything. They did mention that the sensor was clean, so it was either cleaned or not inspected properly.

05-01-2018, 10:53 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those look like scratches on the cover glass to me.

Steve
05-01-2018, 11:45 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
So I'm assuming it will affect the image quality?
05-02-2018, 12:08 AM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
QuoteOriginally posted by donpjt Quote
So I'm assuming it will affect the image quality?
I'd have to agree, there's a possbility those are scratches. They could, however, be merely smear marks.

I would talk to the seller and explain the situation. Assuming you're confident in doing so and have the necessary supplies, ask if they're happy for you to perform a full wet clean of the sensor. You might find that the marks disappear. If they don't, or if you don't want to go to the trouble and potential risk of a sensor clean, I'd suggest you're better off returning the camera.