Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2018, 07:20 PM   #1

It's been a while - issue with SR making photo blurry

Hi guys/gals,

It's been a while since I've signed up. I can't believe that I've been utilizing this amazing resource for so long (close to a year) without finishing my registration to the forum. I look forward to interacting with this forum and contributing what I've learned in the last couple of years of being a proud pentax owner.

However, there is something specific that I'm stumped on that I want to ask the forum. I'm not sure if it's best to do it here or look for a more specific page to ask it in, but perhaps the admin that responds to this can help me out at least with directing myself to the appropriate place to ask this. I'm having trouble with my K-3's sensor stabilization. On a regular occasion (1/10 photos), particularly on the fist shot of exposure bracketing, the sensor stabilization freaks out and vibrates in the x plane, to the point where the image is beyond usable. I've updated the firmware, and have turned sensor stabilization off, but I still am getting this issue.

I'm having a particularly hard time with this because if I sent the camera in for repair (a flat $300 fee that I'm sure most people are aware of) the K-3 has depreciated enough to where I would have a rough time justifying that vs buying another used K-3 or perhaps a K-3ii since I take photos that would take advantage of the star tracker in that camera.

Any advice would be great, thanks!!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
05-03-2018, 07:50 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
that looks terrible! Sorry for the problem.
Have you trie to repeat under same condition, with SR turned off?
And, i know you are supposed to turned the SR off if camera is on tripod, but you can try it on tripod, SR on, and repeat what you did.
these two test can help finding out if the blur is caused by SR issue or camera shake.
05-03-2018, 09:45 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cmpoirot Quote
I'm having a particularly hard time with this because if I sent the camera in for repair (a flat $300 fee that I'm sure most people are aware of)
Belated welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Yes, that looks terrible! In regards to the cost to fix. My understanding is that $300 (currently $325) at Precision is a general cost estimate and not a flat rate. You could call them to confirm. If you are interested in replacing and don't mind buying not having warranty, Roberts Camera (usedphotopro.com) has several K-3 and K-3II (body only) in "mint-minus" condition at very attractive price points ($516 and $700).

https://usedphotopro.com/brands/pentax?cat=670&used_pro_condition=5677

(I have no connection or relation to Roberts Camera.)

In terms of figuring out what the problem might be, a general starting point is to ask about the battery brand, age, and whether it is fully charged. Strange behavior is often the result of voltage "sag" under load. If a battery grip is attached, that may also create power problems. The second consideration is in regards to exposure to moisture. Although Pentax cameras have environmental seals, those seals will resist water, but may or may not prevent moisture incursion. Much depends on what part of the camera got wet and how long it was exposed. "Crazy-acting" cameras often have a compromised component or circuit and for reports on this site, the behavior is often accompanied by evidence of moisture discovered inside the camera when sent for repair. I'm not saying this is the case, only to be prepared if there is any chance water damage might have occurred. The cost is the same to replace a bad board regardless of the cause.

Steve
05-04-2018, 12:02 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Have you verified that the "SR activated" symbol lights up in the viewfinder before you capture the shot?

On a K3 it should not take more than a couple of tenth of a second after you half press the shutter. It is only after the symbol lights up that the SR system have collected all the data from the motion sensors necessary to predict camera shake.

If you press the shutter all the way down at once to capture the shot, something like this could happen (at least theoretically).

Is it always in the beginning of a sequence of shots this happens? Or is it more random?
It could perhaps be a bad battery, so if you have several batteries you can check if it happens on all of them.

Another thing to try is to do a factory reset of the settings.

05-04-2018, 01:46 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Steve
Is the batterygrip causing problems on other pentax cameras, eg KP? I would like to have a longer batteylife, but not problems regards
05-04-2018, 02:16 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is utterly unacceptable. My K-3 never did anything like that.

Have you had similar problems with Pentax lenses, or just this Sigma 17-50? I had a copy of that lens and it worked very well on my K-01 and K-5 at the time. If it doesn't happen with Pentax lenses, a firmware update on the Sigma might be helpful.

Steve's mention of third party batteries is also worthwhile.
05-04-2018, 09:50 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by niels hansen Quote
Steve
Is the batterygrip causing problems on other pentax cameras, eg KP? I would like to have a longer batteylife, but not problems regards
The "problems" revealed through troubleshooting requests have not been related to the grips per se, but usually involved a mix of good/bad batteries, battery in grip only, a third-party grip, damaged contacts, grip/camera mismatch, and/or poorly seated grip. When a grip is part of the mix, the reflexive suggestion is to take the grip off and see if the bad behavior goes away.

If you are not having problems, go forth and be happy.

Steve
05-04-2018, 10:28 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thanks