Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2018, 08:37 AM   #1

Pentax KS2 kit lens (18-50) focus and shooting issues towards 50mm

Hello,

I have had a Pentax KS2 for a little less than a year. It's my first DSLR, and I'm rather satisfied with it.

But suddenly (about 2 weeks ago), the kit lens started not working properly, but only at certain focal lengths:
  • 18-20 : OK
  • 20-40 : autofocus not working in view finder (hunts without result), but ok in live view and manual focus.
    • In the viewfinder, the focus indicator in the overlay that is on when the subject is in focus blinks rapidly yet not regularly.
  • 40-50 : acts as if the lens was retracted (not possible to shoot nor focus)

I was about to send it for repairs, but they asked to get the camera too, and I am supposed to shoot pictures at some event this week, so I was not thrilled with the idea.
I then cleaned the contacts, as it seemed to be an issue with the communication between the camera and the lens, and everything was working fine again !
Then, today (after a week and a half), the same issue arose, and it worked correctly only one time, at random, when I took the lens out and put it back in.

The other lenses I have are an old K-mount 50mm lens, which works fine (and focus indicator is properly lit up when subject is in focus), and a Sigma 70-300 (screwdrive AF) which is working fine albeit it uses less contact pins.

I'll probably send for repairs after I'm done with my event, but if I could use my 18-50 lens for shooting, that would be a lot more easier, and therefore if anyone has an idea on how to solve the issue, I'd be glad to hear about it !

If you need more information, please let me know !

05-07-2018, 02:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the same lens/camera combo as my smallest zoom lens/camera kit. So far, AF has been great- no issues. But it has not had extensive use. I have used other lenses more often on the K-S2. I am wondering, if you have other lenses is the AF is fine with them?

The repair facility wanting to test your camera/lens together is not a bad idea, but it does sound like a lens issue to me, so far.
05-08-2018, 01:15 AM   #3

Original Poster
The only other AF lens I have is the Sigma 70-300 DG APO, which is using screwdrive AF if i'm not mistaken, but therefore it is a different focus mechanism than the Pentax 18-50, isn't it ?
And unfortunately, none of my friends are using Pentax, so I cannot test the lens on another body...

And yes, I agree that it seems like a lens issue !
05-09-2018, 09:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes the focus mechanism is different with screw-driven lenses. Since you cleaned the lens contacts and it worked for a while, this seems to indicate the lens contacts might be defective in some way, or less likely, the camera's lens contacts for this type of lens.

05-13-2018, 10:16 AM   #5

Original Poster
Well, that is the conclusion I reached, and my event is over, so I will soon send it for repairs !
Thanks for your time anyway !