Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2018, 05:48 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
"Broken" dirt in the way? My "broken " phone will power on an off until i make better contact to my leads i soldered on to charge it.

05-08-2018, 06:01 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
"Broken" dirt in the way? My "broken " phone will power on an off until i make better contact to my leads i soldered on to charge it.
OK. I buy that.
The K100D switch is rotary in nature for power on-off.
The contacts are sliding, making physical contact and in effect self cleaning to a greater degree than a push button switch in a phone
that will also perform the same function but to lesser effect.

edit: I take that back. Modern push button switches use carbon pads to contact the traces on the PCB, providing zero self cleaning action.
05-08-2018, 06:43 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The only reason I went with the CR-V3's is i found 3 pairs on a closeout sale for dirt cheap.

Personally, based on what I learned recently when figuring out some power weirdness on a K-r, I would buy a set of the Ikea's.

I will try to find time in the next day or so to take some voltage numbers off the different AA's and CR-V3 I have so you have some real numbers to work with.
05-08-2018, 06:54 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by YeOldePentaxian Quote
The only reason I went with the CR-V3's is i found 3 pairs on a closeout sale for dirt cheap.

Personally, based on what I learned recently when figuring out some power weirdness on a K-r, I would buy a set of the Ikea's.

I will try to find time in the next day or so to take some voltage numbers off the different AA's and CR-V3 I have so you have some real numbers to work with.

I didn't know that Ikea had CRV3's, are the batteries from that furniture store actually worth it?

05-08-2018, 07:17 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ikea have rechargable AA's.
05-08-2018, 08:21 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok myth busting time.

I own a k100d and k100d super. Both work fine with any AA battery type I put in them. The pattern is a little odd so pay attention to ensure it is right. Also there are no rechargeable cr-v3 batteries that are safe. The voltage is too high. (7.2v vs 6v) the reason AA works is they are in series 1.5x4=6v...

Alkaline work but have a very low lifespan. AA nimh work well. AA lithium (disposable) work about as well as cr-v3 both last about 2x what fresh nimh lasts but with longer shelf life due to no self discharge.

If the batteries are in right, you have a dead unit. It may be simple or complex to fix. Who knows.
05-08-2018, 10:44 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like it needs a circuit board that is no longer available. From my experience, this is the most common failure on Pentaxes of this vintage. I think that this is kind of what Ex Finn. is trying to say.

05-09-2018, 12:55 AM   #23

You might think of getting an ac adapter and trying it without battery's. This would tell you if it was the camera or the battery's
05-09-2018, 04:49 AM   #24
Veteran Member

My K100D Super works with one set of Varta Ni-Mh (for a few shots), but not anymore with the Amazon Basics ("battery depleted" message as soon as you turn it on), which can provide a lower voltage even when fully charged (tested with a multimeter).

It's like it needs a higher tension that before. Never investigated more thoroughly, don't use it anymore. Could be some kind of dissipation/drain (don't know which is the proper translation for "dispersione elettrica") in the electronics.
05-09-2018, 04:57 AM   #25

Do you put freshly charged rechargeables into the camera and turn it straight on? I read somewhere (may have been on here) that sometimes you may need to put the batteries in and wait a little while before you turn the camera on.
I'm sure someone who has a better memory than me or knows where to find the reference will be along shortly.
05-09-2018, 07:19 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My own experience with my K100D Super is that if the camera has not been switched on for a while I either get a blank lcd screen on switching on or low battery indication. I use lithium AA's. First time it happened I took the batteries out, cleaned off all surfaces on batteries and camera, replaced the batteries...nothing! I took the batteries out and cleaned around again, replace the batteries, waited for 5 minutes (always a good idea if I am getting stressed), switched on and the camera came to life showing full charge. I used the camera for a while to make sure that any capacitor it might have retained a charge, switched off, left it for a couple of hours then switched it on again, still working. I don't use my K100D Super much but when I do I go through the same rigamarole to get it working. Do not worry, the camera may come to life if you keep trying.
05-09-2018, 07:50 AM   #27

Original Poster
I left the batteries in it overnight and it still acts the same at least it remembers the aperture and shutter speed that I set yesterday. Since I do not have the original K-AC10 will a standard 5mm cable work?
05-09-2018, 01:09 PM   #28
Pentaxian

I just cleaned my battery terminals on my k100d thanks to this thread. I had to take the bottom off because of a jammed door. Now I don't have any new batteries to put in it but it turns on enough to show 0 battery level.
Pedroax, before it shuts down does it show the battery level on the top lcd?
05-09-2018, 02:43 PM   #29
Pentaxian

My experience with the K100D mirrors many of the points made above. I got to the stage of hardly using the camera. It was always dead if left for any length of time, and newly re-charged batteries might take a shot or two and then the camera shut down. I once was taking photos at a samba carnival, and was constantly switching the camera off for a few minutes, then back on for a couple of shots before having to repeat the process. I tried normal non-rechargables, but they only lasted a short while. The camera was replaced by others with a dedicated battery rather than the AAs, which I had originally thought would be an advantage. I have not experienced any battery problems with those later cameras.

Anyway, I kept on checking on the web, and saw the CR-V3 battery mentioned. I bought a pair, and the camera responded well to the extent that I made it available to one of our grandsons to use when he comes out with us. The use is only occasional and that first set of CR-V3s is still in the camera and working. Probably only 100 shots or so, but over an extended period of 18/24 months. I now take the camera on holiday as an emergency back up and don't expect it to give problems. I've found that the CR-V3 batteries appear to have solved the problem for me.
05-09-2018, 06:11 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Although it sounds like you found the problem, I'll, share my experience last year with a new-to-me, used K100D. It would start and shut down immediately. I don't remember exactly but I think there was a low power warning. I tried lots of things but mainly I checked the batteries and found that they were a little low (kept for flashlight use) so I opened a new package, checked the voltage and put them in. Still a similar problem. I took them out, wiped them down, and reinserted them but this time very carefully under bright light. The battery case has, in my opinion, a strange pattern whereby the two positives are next to each other in the middle with the negatives on the outside. I used Duracell copper top batteries and they have worked well ever since. I can't say for certain if it was the batteries, an incorrect insertion of the batteries or wiping them and the contacts down. Interestingly it only happened, like in your situation, right after buying it, which in my case was off of Ebay. I don't know if my experience if of any help to you but it does seem that the K100D is somewhat finicky when new batteries are installed. I have no idea why it happened to us both when the camera was just purchased used. Good luck.