Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2018, 02:54 PM   #1

K100D immediate shutdown

I just got a K100D that refuses to turn on.

At first I tried normal duracell AA batteries and it would quickly flash and then shut down. Then I cleaned the contacts with rubbing alcohol, no difference. I tried rechargeable duracell batteries (the green looking one) and it was the same as before. Energizer lithium batteries made no difference as well. Finally I went out and got the white eneloop rechargeables and it still made no difference. The camera still shuts off as soon as I turn it on. The bottom of the camera has 6volts written on it and most of the batteries have 1.2 volts written on them, is there any other type of AA cell that will work in it?

05-08-2018, 03:29 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pedroax Quote
I just got a K100D that refuses to turn on.

At first I tried normal duracell AA batteries and it would quickly flash and then shut down. Then I cleaned the contacts with rubbing alcohol, no difference. I tried rechargeable duracell batteries (the green looking one) and it was the same as before. Energizer lithium batteries made no difference as well. Finally I went out and got the white eneloop rechargeables and it still made no difference. The camera still shuts off as soon as I turn it on. The bottom of the camera has 6volts written on it and most of the batteries have 1.2 volts written on them, is there any other type of AA cell that will work in it?
do you have a copy of the manual?

here is a link to it

www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k100d.pdf

it indicates that you can use nonrechargeable cr-v3 batteries and a AC adapter as well pg 26 and pg 28

here is a link to user reviews

Pentax K100D - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

good luck

please keep us posted

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-08-2018 at 03:36 PM.
05-08-2018, 03:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

is there any other type of AA cell that will work in it?
If the camera was functional the energizer lithium's (talking about the ultimate silver ones with blue writing) would power it up without any problem.
05-08-2018, 03:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The camera still shuts off as soon as I turn it on.
Just to make sure... You did insert the batteries correctly? I messed up once inserting one backwards.

05-08-2018, 03:38 PM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Just to make sure... You did insert the batteries correctly? I messed up once inserting one backwards.

you are not the only one to do have done that

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-08-2018 at 04:20 PM.
05-08-2018, 04:19 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I used white Eneloops in my K100D for years. Then it came to a point where the whites wouldn't fire it up, (probably due to the number of charge cycles or amp hour capacity) but CR-V3's would.

Alkalines don't cut it.

Black Eneloop's or the Ikea Ladda 2450's will still work in my camera.

YMMV
05-08-2018, 04:28 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The sort of behaviour you describe really dented my interest in taking photos for quite a period. Eventually, I bought another camera(K30), which used a different battery. However, I subsequently bought crv3 batteries for the K100D, and these have worked flawlessly and for an extended period. Non-rechargeable, though.

05-08-2018, 04:30 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Sometimes rubbing alcohol isn't enough. I had to soak my nikon sb28 flash battery door in vinegar and scrub with baking soda. I left batteries in my k100d and from corrosion need to do the same. I just haven't figured out how yet.
05-08-2018, 04:33 PM   #9

Original Poster
Do you really think the CRV3 batteries will outright solve my problem? I only got this camera because it was a cheap deal and had a CCD sensor it looks like it will be expensive to run it off of those batteries, unless the rechargeable CRV3 batteries are a good investment.
05-08-2018, 04:34 PM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you really think the CRV3 batteries will outright solve my problem? I only got this camera because it was a cheap deal and had a CCD sensor it looks like it will be expensive to run it off of those batteries, unless the rechargeable CRV3 batteries are a good investment.
owner manual says no to rechargeable cr - v3

don't know why
05-08-2018, 04:41 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

CRV3s solved my problem with batteries. They last a very long time.......about a year. The AAs don’t last long at all even if you get them working.
05-08-2018, 04:50 PM   #12

Original Poster
All the contacts in the battery compartment and on the compartment lid are clean and shiny and the eneloops are new. I still have faith that this thing will eventually work because in the slit second that it is on I can change the shutter speed in manual or the aperture in AV with the back wheel on the top status screen. I am thinking that all of the internal capacitors and such are dead from sitting for a long time with no batteries in it. If i were able to find a K-AC10 or similar cable do you think that it would give the internal electronics a jump start?
05-08-2018, 05:01 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Could be the power switch somehow failing to maintain the on position.
05-08-2018, 05:05 PM   #14

Original Poster
Before I pull the trigger on some CRV3's does a dropped camera exhibit the same tendencies as mine? The man I brought the camera from is extremely trustworthy but he could have lied about the k100 being dropped. I believe that it might have been dropped because the lens he sold to me with the camera has supposedly been dropped on its own that very day.

---------- Post added 05-08-18 at 05:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Could be the power switch somehow failing to maintain the on position.
If I took it apart do you think I could see if the switch is broken, or possibly fix it somehow?
05-08-2018, 05:33 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if the switch is broken
It is then broken and the camera should not power up at all.
If it is intermittent and needs cleaning or such, then you would not have the same symptom over and over again.
Something else is going on.