Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-10-2018, 03:46 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Connecting ring trouble - D FA 150-450 lens ... too heavy? What to do next ?

Help needed for someone who is not a member here ... hoping this will be allowed ?

The lens has been a (almost) permanent fixture on a K3.
The gear is, most of the time, handled "hand held".
No grip on the camera.
Never been dropped, banged on hard surfaces, etc ... well taken care of.

The camera shows the infamous "F ---" thingy, indicating that the connection is not quite "secure".
She has to move/nudge it a little bit from side to side and it starts functioning as expected but it reoccurs quite steadily.

She went to the camera shop and was told that the "connecting ring" of the lens is not making full contact with the camera and that would be because of the weight of the lens/manner of handling the gear ... i.e.: too much up/down or side tension between the lens and the camera which slowly causes damage to the connecting ring (of the lens).

I have told her to test with other lenses and see if there is a similar problem, to make sure it is the lens and not the camera that has a problem.
(I will have further news about that a bit later today - possibly in an hour or two).

Whether it is a connecting ring problem from the lens or the camera, it will need to be fixed.

Once "repaired", what would be the best setup to avoid stress at the connection between the lens and the camera?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion/help.

05-10-2018, 03:57 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think with bigger lenses you are supposed to hold the lens, not the camera. At least that is what I do.
05-10-2018, 04:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
I think with bigger lenses you are supposed to hold the lens, not the camera. At least that is what I do.
I'm quite certain that she knows how to handle it . Her technique is quite good (this I know for sure).
All I need to know: "setup" to avoid further problems once repaired ... if there is such a thing.
05-10-2018, 04:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Used the lens with K5 and a grip a good amount, have not experienced any anomalies so far.
I am very careful when setting down the combo on a hard surface to minimize any undue stress on the K-mount or the lens barrel.

edit: by any chance, have the screws loosened up some?

05-10-2018, 04:31 PM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I have had my copy, usually on a K 3 and usually hand held left hand supporting the lens, right hand on the camera controls

noticed no problem

except once or twice the lens didn't " feel " right and there was a problem focusing.

just remounted the lens, taking care to make sure I did it nice and tight and problem disappeared

may I suggest the OP post a question and a link about this in this thread and request input from members who have been using the lens?

Post your HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW pictures! - PentaxForums.com
05-10-2018, 05:20 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
may I suggest the OP post a question and a link about this in this thread and request input from members who have been using the lens? Post your HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW pictures! - PentaxForums.com
Done!
BTW, I have just realized that I started that thread as well ...
05-10-2018, 05:44 PM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Lens Loops - System Connector | OP/TECH USA

Lens Support Adaptor - additional support for heavy lenses | OP/TECH USA

Might help but you need to go to a strap system

05-10-2018, 05:51 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Has she done the ‘clean the contscts’ thing yet? If she views the connected mount surfaces from the side, is there excessive play?
05-10-2018, 05:55 PM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Done!
BTW, I have just realized that I started that thread as well ...
small world indeed
05-10-2018, 06:09 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Has she done the ‘clean the contscts’ thing yet? If she views the connected mount surfaces from the side, is there excessive play?
I am waiting for further info ... we have a 2 hours time difference and has probably just returned from work.
I'll make sure to ask that as well.
Thanks !

Edit: new info ... yes, the contacts were cleaned and yes there is a bit of wiggle from side to side.

Last edited by jpzk; 05-10-2018 at 06:32 PM. Reason: More info
05-10-2018, 08:04 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am waiting for further info ... we have a 2 hours time difference and has probably just returned from work.
I'll make sure to ask that as well.
Thanks !

Edit: new info ... yes, the contacts were cleaned and yes there is a bit of wiggle from side to side.
FWIW I often use a monopod attached to the lens foot with my 70-200, which is also a beast.
05-10-2018, 08:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The camera shows the infamous "F ---" thingy, indicating that the connection is not quite "secure".
She has to move/nudge it a little bit from side to side and it starts functioning as expected but it reoccurs quite steadily.
User Tjompen1968 has encountered similar issue with both the DFA zooms. See the post by Tjompen1968 Uneven sharpness in DFA 70-200mm - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com There is video also.
05-10-2018, 08:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Help needed for someone who is not a member here ... hoping this will be allowed ?

The lens has been a (almost) permanent fixture on a K3.
The gear is, most of the time, handled "hand held".
No grip on the camera.
Never been dropped, banged on hard surfaces, etc ... well taken care of.

She went to the camera shop and was told that the "connecting ring" of the lens is not making full contact with the camera and that would be because of the weight of the lens/manner of handling the gear ... i.e.: too much up/down or side tension between the lens and the camera which slowly causes damage to the connecting ring (of the lens).

I have told her to test with other lenses and see if there is a similar problem, to make sure it is the lens and not the camera that has a problem.
(I will have further news about that a bit later today - possibly in an hour or two).

Whether it is a connecting ring problem from the lens or the camera, it will need to be fixed.

Once "repaired", what would be the best setup to avoid stress at the connection between the lens and the camera?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion/help.
I use the OP/TECH USA Lens Loop that @Aslyfox mentioned, attached to the OP/TECH USA Utility Strap–Sling XL Quick Adjust (Utility Strap?-Sling & Utility Strap?-Sling XL Quick Adjust - Neoprene Quick Release Camera Shoulder Strap | OP/TECH USA). The Lens Loop goes around the base of my FA*400 f/5.6 to support the weight of the lens, rather than the weight of the lens hanging from the camera body's mount. The Lens Loop is connected to the Utility Strap-Sling XL Quick Adjust. The neoprene part of the strap goes over my left shoulder, and the camera-lens combo hangs by my right hip so I can raise it with my right hand. See the photos on the page with the Lens Loop. Lens Loops - System Connector | OP/TECH USA
I have found OP/TECH USA's products to be durable.
05-10-2018, 08:56 PM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I have yet to try the lens loop by Optech although I have bought it.

I sometimes carry the bigger lens: the D FA * 70- 200mm F2.8 and the D FA 150-450mm cradled in the crook of my left arm across the front of my body with the Optech US utility sling slung over my neck as well
05-10-2018, 10:08 PM   #15
Pentaxian

There is always a bit of play between the lens and body. I had this "F"two times. The first time was after mounting the lens in cold humid weather. The second time, I cleaned the mount with alcohol and it works reliably since then. Up to 1.5Kg lens, it's no big deal to carry the lens via holding the body. I would hold carry a 2Kg+ lens via the camera body, and even less doing so with a 500mm or 600mm f4 lens.