Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2018, 07:33 AM   #1

Dead battery deleting all photos? k3ii

Long story short my battery died while shooting a 6 minute exposure yesterday. I went to import photos this morning and I only have the 6 from after changing my battery. Im pretty sure I never clicked format card because I never saw the progress screen. I was using a relatively new 128gb sandisk ultra something. Ive used batteries till they were dead many times before with no issues. Has anyone experienced this? I'd like to be able to narrow down the cause of this, currently working on file recovery.

edit: Recovered photos from over a month ago, zero photos from yesterday so I didn't accidentally format card.

Last edited by Greenneck; 05-20-2018 at 08:00 AM.
05-20-2018, 07:37 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If it was in the middle of writing to the card when it lost power then it has quite possibly caused a corruption to the file table. Basic file recovery should find the data.
05-20-2018, 08:22 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3II has two cards slots. Any chance the photos are on the other card?
05-20-2018, 08:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Unless explicitly selected on the computer, formatting doesn't over-write existing information beyond the partition table, so pictures and other files are often still recoverable by software that scans all memory locations. My guess is that you probably lost the pictures some other way than by formatting in camera.

05-20-2018, 10:16 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Using the camera until the battery dies is not advised for two reasons:

1. Data loss: as you have just experienced, if the battery dies while the camera is attempt to write an image to the card, you risk losing not only that image but all images taken before. If the power loss occurs when the camera is updating the file directory, the entire card can be corrupted and require formatting before reuse.

2. Battery damage: Running a lithium ion battery until dead damages the battery and will reduce the lifetime number of charge-discharge cycles it can provide.
05-20-2018, 10:17 AM   #6

I had a similar incident. I was recording a video when my battery died. The video was lost. I tried several different recovery programs including recuva and testdisk but it didn't work. I found older pictures and videos that had been lost but none from that day.

It might have been because I swapped battery immediately afterwards and started recording a new video.
05-20-2018, 02:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

If you took 6 pictures after swapping out the dead battery, I'm not betting on too many images shot with the first battery being recoverable, sadly...

Try anyway, you've nothing to lose, let's hope for the best!
05-27-2018, 09:40 AM   #8

Original Poster
Alright eventually I figured it out. They had written to the second card and I was able to use recovery software to get all my photos pre battery death on that one.
I often shoot to battery death because none of my batteries get me through 400 shots in a day of shooting.