Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2018, 02:25 PM   #1

locking focus point

Hi, I'm using a K3 and just switched to expanded area focus 24 pts. with the centre as main focus point. The problem is while the camera tracks and acquires focus wherever it did. It doesn't go back to the centre point automatically. Why is that. My D7000 has a lock switch which keeps the centre point where it belongs unless you unlock it. Yes the ok button returns it to centre but I don't have to do that with the D7000 because it has a lock switch

thanks,

05-20-2018, 04:28 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your K-3 works a lot like the Nikon and it is not hard to lock/unlock the AF point selection. Assuming you got where you are by setting:
  • Front dial: AF.C
  • Rear dial: 25 point grid (pink) on rear LCD with starting AF point darker red (e.g. Expanded Area AF (M))
The default location for the starting AF point is set using the 4-way controller. If it is at other than center (the default), it is because someone set it to where it is. To get it back to center and lock it there:
  • Enable (unlock) point selection by pressing (no need to hold) the Change AF Point button at lower right on the camera back (rectangle with four arrows and a center point). The AF grid display on the rear LCD will enlarge. If it gets smaller, press again. The larger size means the selection feature is enabled (unlocked)
  • Press the OK button. This will return the starting AF point to center
  • Press the Change AF Point button at lower right again to lock the starting point to center. The displayed grid on the rear LCD will be small again.
    The above may also be done with the eye to the optical viewfinder. When the Change AF Point button at lower right is pressed an icon similar to the button label will display in the viewfinder. The selected AF point will also show when changed. If the icon is not visible, the point selection feature is locked.
The things to remember:
  • The Change AF Point button enables/disables point selection. When it is off, the feature is locked.
  • Whether point selection is enabled (unlocked) is remembered until it is disabled (locked). This is true even if the camera is turned off and on again. This is not good, IMHO, but I suppose some people like this behavior.
I hope this helps.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-21-2018 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Accuracy
05-21-2018, 02:40 AM   #3

Original Poster
thanks alot. I'll go through it this morning before I head out shooting again. What I'm trying to say is. I want the centre point to always be centred but while I'm trying to acquire focus the camera can use any of the ( 24 surrounding focal points ) expanded area M to get me focus. Because when I go for the next shot and have the subject in the centre it might give me a blurry image because it wasn't at centre but somewhere to the left right upper or lower. Does it really matter it it's in the centre at all. I can ignore it if it doesn't affect my ability to get the shot

Last edited by enyaw; 05-21-2018 at 03:08 AM.
05-21-2018, 08:01 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enyaw Quote
What I'm trying to say is. I want the centre point to always be centred but while I'm trying to acquire focus the camera can use any of the ( 24 surrounding focal points ) expanded area M to get me focus.
Yep...that is what the feature does. I edited my comment above a bit for accuracy, but the instructions are basically the same. Set the center starting point and remember to lock it and it will stay where you set it.

Steve