Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2018, 03:50 PM   #1

camera not behaving

I know this was a difficult situation to autofucus. But the camera went beserk on me aka alot of noise regarding focus. Is it a shutter/focus issue or a mirror issue? And am I suffering from it. It happened today at the zoo with no image recorded. I heard a noise like continuous shooting but I was on single frame. I will enclose the same image after I turned the camera off and tried again.

thanks,

05-20-2018, 04:03 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what camera body and what lens?

camera settings?

OEM battery or 3rd part?
05-20-2018, 04:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like mirror flap. On the K-5 this could require repair if it happens often. On the K-3 there is a firmware 'fix' that stops it.

Regardless, unless it happens again or starts to happen often I would not worry about it. On my K-3II it has happened 2 or 3 times in 3 years. No worries.
05-20-2018, 05:05 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by enyaw Quote
I know this was a difficult situation to autofucus. But the camera went beserk on me aka alot of noise regarding focus. Is it a shutter/focus issue or a mirror issue? And am I suffering from it. It happened today at the zoo with no image recorded. I heard a noise like continuous shooting but I was on single frame. I will enclose the same image after I turned the camera off and tried again.

thanks,
Low battery or aging battery?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-20-2018, 09:34 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

The flap has happened to me, but not with a K-3. I would attempt to turn the camera off, and if that did not work I would remove the battery. Then if the battery was charged enough I would place the battery back in the camera and it would usually work properly.

I recall it happened with my K-20D, but not on an ongoing basis.

I had used some off brand batteries with my K-20D, which was my first dslr, and after I discovered they did not hold a charge, I resorted to only Pentax original batteries, which really were reliable.

Last edited by C_Jones; 05-20-2018 at 09:42 PM.
05-21-2018, 02:34 AM   #6

Original Poster
Pentax K3

Yes that it's what it sounds like. It goes really rapidly for 1 second then disappears. Well it's happened 2 x this summer. I bought it on ebay body only. Original battery. lens combo tokina 18-250mm IF macro, and yesterday with the 50-300mm DAL. Firmware 1.30

and thanks for the input. How much would mirror flap issue cost to repair

---------- Post added 05-21-18 at 03:14 AM ----------

I have now acquired an additional issue with the said camera. when I press the continuous/burst mode button on the back nothing shows up on screen. I can't shoot in burst mode. I'm thinking I should just reset the whole thing and start over. That means I'll lose my 3 user settings: landscape, people, sports. Is there a way to save those while resetting my main shooting settings or will all be lost in the reset.
05-23-2018, 03:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Which firmware version are you using?

05-24-2018, 01:33 AM   #8

Original Poster
I thought I mentioned that and I do see it in my last post. v1.30
05-24-2018, 04:07 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry. Missed that.
05-24-2018, 05:43 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by enyaw Quote
Pentax K3

Yes that it's what it sounds like. It goes really rapidly for 1 second then disappears. Well it's happened 2 x this summer. I bought it on ebay body only. Original battery. lens combo tokina 18-250mm IF macro, and yesterday with the 50-300mm DAL. Firmware 1.30

and thanks for the input. How much would mirror flap issue cost to repair

---------- Post added 05-21-18 at 03:14 AM ----------

I have now acquired an additional issue with the said camera. when I press the continuous/burst mode button on the back nothing shows up on screen. I can't shoot in burst mode. I'm thinking I should just reset the whole thing and start over. That means I'll lose my 3 user settings: landscape, people, sports. Is there a way to save those while resetting my main shooting settings or will all be lost in the reset.
The camera did what it was supposed to do by stopping the mirror flapping after one second, mirror flapping is often caused by shooting with a low battery or possibly a defective battery

There is no burst mode button on the back of the K-3 but there are 4 way controller buttons which have a double function of either focus point selection, Drive mode, Flash mode, White balance or Custom image. Were you trying to get to the Drive mode setting while you were in focus point selection mode? If so you need to press the smal button to the lower right of the 4 way controller the select the drive mode function.

Larry
05-25-2018, 12:59 AM   #11

Original Poster
somehow my post didn't get sent. I reset the camera and I have all features available. Maybe I typed it and didn't hit send. I took a photo of my info screen then hit reset. That saved my u1 u2 and u3 settings and I now have a clean camera with a copy of my previous settings via the photo. All features are available now. Just have to set up the camera again but the photo of my info screen should help.

Thank you all

just have to wait and see if mirror flap reoccurs then I might be in hot water