Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
05-22-2018, 10:04 AM   #1
Forum Member

K5II Focusing Issues after Rain

Good afternoon all,

So, I happened to have my Tamron 10-24 on my K5II for a trip up to Alaska, and of course it decides to start raining while I was in a canoe out to the Mendenhall Glacier. I did my best to keep the camera as dry as possible, but it started acting up after 45 minutes of light rain ... at first, it wouldn't turn on for more than 1/2 second but after drying out in the room overnight it was mostly working as expected by the morning.

However, I am having some odd issues with autofocus now, and only with specific lenses. For example, my Tamron 10-24 and Sigma 30 f1.4 both do this quick 7-times shallow back & forth but never lock focus, but my Sigma 50-150 and Pentax 300 both work perfectly. I've tried all 4 lenses on my K01 and they focus as expected, so I can't see the lenses being the issue

Example of what I'm seeing:

Any suggestions? Or am I doomed to finally have a reason to upgrade to a K1?

/jason

05-22-2018, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I would try drying it out some more, maybe problems will go away.
05-22-2018, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Keep drying. Use of a dehumidifier chamber or a warm (not hot) area like near a furnace vent. Or put in a closed box with dry rice. Search "dry out camera" or "dry out cell phone" for suggestions.

Lots of stories on this forum about people getting their cameras soaked and getting a full recovery. But it usually took more than drying overnight.
05-22-2018, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most likely the forthcoming new DA* 11-18mm will be weather sealed! I love my DA 12-24mm, but something to think about of sure.

Good luck in the thorough drying of your K-5 II! It is still a fine camera- I have the IIs and still like it a lot, even though now also having the KP.

05-22-2018, 12:03 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
That's the frustrating thing ... this happened on the 14th, and it's still exhibiting this problem but only with certain lenses. In the end it's not the end of the world as I can go manual focus and everything works as expected, but I would have thought that this would be an all-or-nothing issue in that AF would work with all lenses or none at all.
05-22-2018, 12:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Try cleaning the contacts with a micro fiber cloth. Long shot but worth a try.
05-22-2018, 12:47 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Most likely the forthcoming new DA* 11-18mm will be weather sealed! I love my DA 12-24mm, but something to think about of sure.
It most definitely will be weather sealed

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-22-2018, 02:24 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WooKstah Quote
I am having some odd issues with autofocus now, and only with specific lenses.
Does the unusual AF behaviour happen when focusing both through the viewfinder, and when using Live View? As you may know, regular AF is dependent on a phase-detect AF mechansim involving a dedicated mirror and sensor, while Live View uses contrast detection via the sensor.

If it only happens when using the viewfinder, I'm wondering if moisture is sitting on the PDAF mirror and/or sensor. If that's the case, hopefully a little more drying off time might resolve things...
05-22-2018, 06:36 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Does the unusual AF behaviour happen when focusing both through the viewfinder, and when using Live View? As you may know, regular AF is dependent on a phase-detect AF mechansim involving a dedicated mirror and sensor, while Live View uses contrast detection via the sensor.

If it only happens when using the viewfinder, I'm wondering if moisture is sitting on the PDAF mirror and/or sensor. If that's the case, hopefully a little more drying off time might resolve things...
It's probably PDAF-related because the lenses work on the K-01.
05-22-2018, 07:28 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote

When I'm in Live View, on Face Detect AF or Contrast AF I can barely hear three tiny clicks but the lens does not focus whatsoever. When it's set to Phase Difference AF, it does the same thing as when I view through the viewfinder. I also threw on my Tamron 28-75 (which did not go with me and is my go-to lens) and it has the exact same focus issue on the K5II

I'll throw it into a container with some rice and leave it for a few days to see what happens. I'm assuming that I should just throw a body cap on and call it a day?

/jason
05-22-2018, 07:52 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WooKstah Quote

I'll throw it into a container with some rice and leave it for a few days to see what happens. I'm assuming that I should just throw a body cap on and call it a day?
Or, stick it on the fridge or on the Xbox.
05-23-2018, 09:13 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Or, stick it on the fridge or on the Xbox.
I read that twice and still thought you said "stick it in the fridge"

To clarify: put it on something that generates heat like on top of (most) fridges or an xbox or any other device that produces a warm, dry area. Top of my computer would be great as the top is screened and the heat escapes there.

Other reports where water entered the camera have shown it can take a week or more of drying to completely get rid of the moisture.
05-23-2018, 01:23 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I read that twice and still thought you said "stick it in the fridge"
Not inside - On top! LOL

06-11-2018, 07:35 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Over two weeks, and still the same issue. It will not auto-focus with any Screw-Drive lens that I own, but has no problems focusing with my SDM or HSM lenses. At this point, the only other option I can think of is to send it back to Pentax for an estimate, but I honestly am not sure it's worth the effort.
06-11-2018, 07:53 AM   #15
Veteran Member

There may be water residue on the focusing screen. A wet cleaning (with the proper solution) of that area may be the issue. What do manually focused images look like? Any issues other than lack of focus?