Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2018, 08:32 AM   #1

Shutter release button off (Live View Only).

I would like to know how can I take advantage of this feature of my K-5. I understand that in live view the camera shakes a lot when the focus is obtained from the shutter release button. The back focus button is probably preferable. But when returning to view finder mode I will have then two auto focus buttons. What do you suggest about using this feature? How can I benefit the most from it?

05-25-2018, 09:36 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hidrieus Quote
I would like to know how can I take advantage of this feature of my K-5. I understand that in live view the camera shakes a lot when the focus is obtained from the shutter release button. The back focus button is probably preferable. But when returning to view finder mode I will have then two auto focus buttons. What do you suggest about using this feature? How can I benefit the most from it?
You could potentially make a user mode for this, though I don't remember if user modes save the custom function settings on the K-5.

In any case, the button press should be mitigated by shake reduction if you are hand-holding. If you're on a tripod and want to get perfectly still shots, simply use a remote.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-25-2018, 10:42 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You could potentially make a user mode for this, though I don't remember if user modes save the custom function settings on the K-5.

In any case, the button press should be mitigated by shake reduction if you are hand-holding. If you're on a tripod and want to get perfectly still shots, simply use a remote.
Thank you Adam for the reply. I use a remote control with three seconds delay when I have my K-5 on tripod. But then what about the feature of the post theme? Is it useless? There is no way I could benefit from the option 'Shutter release button off (Live View Only)'? I do not think that Pentax would include it if no one had any use for it.
05-25-2018, 10:51 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you Adam for the reply. I use a remote control with three seconds delay when I have my K-5 on tripod. But then what about the feature of the post theme? Is it useless? There is no way I could benefit from the option 'Shutter release button off (Live View Only)'? I do not think that Pentax would include it if no one had any use for it.
I'm not sure, to be honest! Maybe someone else can chime in. There's no reason the button press would affect stability differently in live view, though, IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-26-2018, 12:54 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The purpose of the setting to "turn off the AF with half press of the shutter button" is so that you can focus with the AF button then capture images without the camera refocusing each time the shutter button is displayed.

Perhaps you can post the relevant section of the manual where it refers to "Live View only"
05-26-2018, 08:40 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
The purpose of the setting to "turn off the AF with half press of the shutter button" is so that you can focus with the AF button then capture images without the camera refocusing each time the shutter button is displayed.

Perhaps you can post the relevant section of the manual where it refers to "Live View only"
The feature I am talking about is described in the official K-5 manual page 286 at the bottom. It is the third option of the configuration of the shutter release button pressed halfway.
05-26-2018, 01:54 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The feature I am talking about is described in the official K-5 manual page 286 at the bottom. It is the third option of the configuration of the shutter release button pressed halfway.
What can I say? You have the option to disable the AF via the shutter release half press either entirely, or just for LV.

Perhaps it is a useful feature if you want to focus manually in LV , especially if you use the 100% zoom feature.
05-26-2018, 03:29 PM   #8

Original Poster
Selecting Manual Focus mode already disables focus from any button.

But if the case is to focus manually in Live View, switching to manual focus mode automatically disables the shutter release button from focusing. So selecting the option we are talking about is redundant.

05-27-2018, 01:21 PM   #9

Original Poster
Not even Yvon Bourque describes how to use 'Shutter Release Button off (Live View Only) in his his friendly K-5 manual. But I think he may have used it and possibly knows something more. I will see that I pass the question to him.
06-16-2018, 12:57 AM   #10

Original Poster
Satisfactory answer.

SungiBr, a member of Pentax forum in DPReview forums, gave me a helpful answer and I think it would be for the benefit of everyone who is interested to copy it here. I hope I do not violate any copy write law doing this. The link is: Shutter release button off (Live View Only).: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Here is a part of the conversation:

SungiBr Regular Member Posts: 162
Re: Shutter release button off (Live View Only).
In reply to Georgios 3 days ago

Georgios wrote:
I have a K-5 and I would like any advise / suggestion how to use this feature beneficially. The feature "Shutter release button off (Live View Only)" is described in the official K-5 manual page 286 at the bottom.
I guess you want tips on the way this works and when use it.
Well, I used it extensively with mine K5II, and have this to say:
The feature does the way it is described. When in live view, the shutter half-press is disabled, hence shutter button will just release the shutter. Af in live view, with this option will only be made by the AF button on the back.
So, as live view is somewhat slow and clumsy with K5 series, you could take live view pictures faster, if the subject is already in focus, either manually or previously focused, as the camera won't attempt to refocus as soon as you hit the shutter to take the picture.
I do photojournalism and detaching AF from shutter button in live view make things a lot faster, specially with camera overhead, when I have to use live view to frame and need to be fast to capture what I need.
I recently bought a K3 and to my disbelief, it doesn't have that feature. I don't know why ricoh did removed that feature on k-3 series. It's a real led down to me.
-- hide signature --
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they pass by"
Roberto Sungi Photojournalist (@roberto_sungi) ? Instagram photos and videos
500px.com/roberto_sungi

OP Georgios Forum Member Posts: 93
In reply to SungiBr 3 days ago
The feature does the way it is described. When in live view, the shutter half-press is disabled, hence shutter button will just release the shutter. Af in live view, with this option will only be made by the AF button on the back.
So, as live view is somewhat slow and clumsy with K5 series, you could take live view pictures faster, if the subject is already in focus, either manually or previously focused, as the camera won't attempt to refocus as soon as you hit the shutter to take the picture.
I do photojournalism and detaching AF from shutter button in live view make things a lot faster, specially with camera overhead, when I have to use live view to frame and need to be fast to capture what I need.
Thank you for the reply SungiBr, I appreciate your opinion as you have used the feature extensively.
So when you are doing photojournalism, which I like to do too once in a while, you have already prefocused from the viewfinder half pressing the shutter release button and then you switch to Live View put the camera overhead and snap the picture? Or you autofocus overhead with the back AF button? If yes then in the viewfinder mode you will have simultaneously two AF buttons active. Just having the back focus button enabled and the shutter release button completely disabled would do the same job and make this feature unnecessary. If when you put the camera overhead you are in manual focus then AF from shutter release button would be already disabled and there would be no need to have this feature enabled.
Can you describe a little more your technique to me please?

SungiBr Regular Member Posts: 162
In reply to Georgios 1 day ago

Georgios wrote:
So when you are doing photojournalism, which I like to do too once in a while, you have already prefocused from the viewfinder half pressing the shutter release button and then you switch to Live View put the camera overhead and snap the picture?
Yes. Pretty much this way. For me, I found it the better aproach. Also, if you was already shooting a scene with VF, then switching to LV will allow for a faster shooting
Or you autofocus overhead with the back AF button? If yes then in the viewfinder mode you will have simultaneously two AF buttons active.
Yes, but also depends on situation. If already in focus or not. And yes, two ways to AF with VF.
Just having the back focus button enabled and the shutter release button completely disabled would do the same job and make this feature unnecessary.
Depends on you. I prefer VF shotting, so shutter button for me works better. Others like to use back button in VF. But LV is very useful, so I disable shutter AF only in LV. So I only use back button for AF, in LV. with focus preset before LV, and if the subjet distance doesn't change, you just enter LV and snap the pic.
If when you put the camera overhead you are in manual focus then AF from shutter release button would be already disabled and there would be no need to have this feature enabled.
Only if you prefer manual focus. When in MF, either option will be disabled anyway, so that comes down to how you like to shoot.
Botton line here is the flexibility of choose the way you like to set up the AF behavior. It may be silly to others, but as I said, they removed the feature form K3, wch I think is a bad move from Richo engineers.
-- hide signature --
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they pass by"
Roberto Sungi Photojournalist (@roberto_sungi) ? Instagram photos and videos
500px.com/roberto_sungi