Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2018, 05:55 AM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Highlands of Scotland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 263
K1ii Live view focusing in M mode

Setup: K1ii + Sigma 70mm macro in a poorly lit room.

I'm probably just overlooking a setting here but I often want to focus using live view for macro work when using flash. I set to M with a shutter speed appropriate for flash, but when I switch to live view the screen is almost black. DOF preview gives me a workable image but is awkward to hold while making focus adjustments. Just checked a K3 and it doesn't behave in the same manner: I get a usable image to focus with. I can press the green button (K1ii) and get a workable image on screen, but then my shutter speed and aperture settings are changed.
Is there something in the menus that will give me a usable image to focus with? I don't need to see a representation of what the shot might look like as lighting is controlled by the strobes, I just need to see and focus on what I'm photographing.

05-26-2018, 06:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,180
same with K1, manual mode displays exposure simulation.
05-26-2018, 07:29 AM   #3
Pentaxian
photoptimist's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,274
Hmmm... How about this, try switching the Bulb mode. On my ordinary K-1, that causes live view to auto-expose the scene on the LCD. Then after you've focused the image, just flip back to M and take the shot.
05-26-2018, 08:10 AM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Highlands of Scotland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 263
Original Poster
I've partially solved the problem, or at least found a workaround. I should be using X mode for flash. Of course that doesn't solve the problem when shooting fill in.
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
How about this, try switching the Bulb mode.
I had switched to and from AV, and yes that works (I'm guessing bulb does the same), but it just doesn't feel natural to me, maybe because I've got so used to the way I work with the K3 (and K30 for that matter). I'd be happy to rely on histograms for exposure data so long as I could see the scene rather than blackness

05-26-2018, 10:27 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 48,427
QuoteOriginally posted by damianc Quote
Setup: K1ii + Sigma 70mm macro in a poorly lit room.

I'm probably just overlooking a setting here but I often want to focus using live view for macro work when using flash. I set to M with a shutter speed appropriate for flash, but when I switch to live view the screen is almost black. DOF preview gives me a workable image but is awkward to hold while making focus adjustments. Just checked a K3 and it doesn't behave in the same manner: I get a usable image to focus with. I can press the green button (K1ii) and get a workable image on screen, but then my shutter speed and aperture settings are changed.
Is there something in the menus that will give me a usable image to focus with? I don't need to see a representation of what the shot might look like as lighting is controlled by the strobes, I just need to see and focus on what I'm photographing.
Indeed, M mode offers exposure simulation- it tries to show you what the actual shot might look like.

A workaround that I've shared previously is to set the camera to TAv mode and select a very narrow auto ISO range, i.e. 100 to 160. This will then essentially work exactly like M mode, except without the exposure simulation.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-26-2018, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 32,645
Manual focus in dim light using live view is a pain, particularly if one is intentionally underexposing. Yes, Av mode will serve as a work-around unless EC is used.

Here is another work-around...Use M mode and set aperture using the aperture ring on your Sigma 70/2.8 Macro. There is no exposure simulation when the camera does not control the aperture.


Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-26-2018 at 01:57 PM.
05-26-2018, 03:42 PM   #7
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
GUB's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Wanganui
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,192
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Manual focus in dim light using live view is a pain, particularly if one is intentionally underexposing. Yes, Av mode will serve as a work-around unless EC is used.

Here is another work-around...Use M mode and set aperture using the aperture ring on your Sigma 70/2.8 Macro. There is no exposure simulation when the camera does not control the aperture.


Steve
Yes I bumped into this when using A series lenses. Set the aperture on A and things get dark - set the aperture via the ring and all is good. (In M mode).
05-27-2018, 01:11 AM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Highlands of Scotland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 263
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
set the camera to TAv mode and select a very narrow auto ISO range, i.e. 100 to 160
I can see how this works, but is slightly dissatisfying

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
set aperture using the aperture ring on your Sigma 70/2.8 Macro
Unfortunately there's no aperture ring on the Sigma otherwise I'd be happy with this as the best solution (though for almost everything I do I think X mode should work)

It strikes me that there are valid arguments for both display modes: The situation as it is now suits most normal shooting, but a well exposed display for those shooting with flash under less than ideal lighting situations would be an advantage. The K-1ii behaviour has changed from the K3 which was straightforward for me. I'm confident I can adapt, but I would have thought that the option to configure behaviour in firmware would give us greater flexibility.

05-27-2018, 09:09 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 32,645
QuoteOriginally posted by damianc Quote
Unfortunately there's no aperture ring on the Sigma otherwise I'd be happy with this as the best solution (though for almost everything I do I think X mode should work)
I forgot that the highly desirable 70/2.8 is the sole member of the Sigma EX DG Macro trio (50, 70, and 105) lacking an aperture ring. I am not sure what you mean by using "X mode". I don't have a K-1II, but exposure emulation on my K-3 (firmware v1.30) is also active in X mode in that the screen darkens/lightens according to set EV. Green mode and B are the only modes on my camera where some aspect of this feature is not enabled.

I totally agree that making exposure emulation optional would be desirable.


Steve
05-27-2018, 09:33 AM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Highlands of Scotland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 263
Original Poster
I'm beginning again to think I've overlooked something in the settings. Just checked my GF's K3 (firmware - 1.30) and in both 'M' and 'X' gives me a well lit preview (albeit darker than other modes) whilst hiding under the dining room table. Changing aperture and shutter speed makes no difference to the display. As far as I recall this is how my K3 behaves (don't have it to hand)
The K-1ii is fine using 'X' but goes black using 'M'. Switching to an M50 f1.7 and the K-1ii 'M' works fine as both Steve and GUB hinted
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, flash, focus, image, k1ii, k1ii live view, live view, macro, manual mode, pentax help, photography, screen, shutter, strobe, troubleshooting, view
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K1ii's "Dynamic Pixel Shift" Will Put A Premium On Small High-Quality Lenses Fenwoodian Pentax K-1 36 03-06-2018 01:39 PM
Live view manual focusing issue - Focusing on full moon MarcL Pentax K-1 20 02-14-2017 08:40 AM
live view noise and smc dfa 100mm f2.8 macro lens not focusing in live view tommygunn84 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 7 11-24-2016 08:59 PM
Typical live view humming, when not in live view. lightsource Pentax K-1 8 05-05-2016 02:20 AM
K5 Live View: Live Exposure Adjustments Visible in "M" Mode? godwinaustin Pentax K-5 6 08-13-2013 08:11 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:20 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top