Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
06-01-2018, 01:42 PM   #1

Legacy lens won't attach to my K-70

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

So I just recently purchased my first legacy lens for my K-70 (it is the same as this: Sears Auto Zoom Multicoated 1:4.0 80-200mm SLR Macro f4.0 Lens Pentax K | eBay) and when I try to attach it to the body of the camera, it does not want to click in or otherwise attach to the camera. I have been able to twist it in and have it stay for a short while, but after a few minutes it just falls right out. I do not have an adapter for the lens, as it is a K-mount lens and I assumed it would not need one. My 18-55mm kit lens fits on the camera perfectly with no issues whatsoever. Does anyone have any ideas as to why the lens refuses to stay in the camera?

06-01-2018, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums

Could you take a photo of the lens mount and post it here? I suspect it may not be a K-mount lens, despite the seller claiming it is - but we'll need to see the mount to be certain...
06-01-2018, 01:58 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Welcome to the forums

Could you take a photo of the lens mount and post it here? I suspect it may not be a K-mount lens, despite the seller claiming it is - but we'll need to see the mount to be certain...
Thank you! The images should be attached with this if everything works correctly
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8 Plus  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 8 Plus  Photo 
06-01-2018, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a Canon FD breech-lock mount

Given that the seller inaccurately described the item as being for Pentax K-mount, you can return it to them under eBay's policy.

06-01-2018, 02:07 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That's a Canon FD breech-lock mount

Given that the seller inaccurately described the item as being for Pentax K-mount, you can return it to them under eBay's policy.
I will certainly give a review that says that they inaccurately described it. Before I decide to return it though, are there lots of different lenses that use this particular mount? If so, I could just buy an adapter for it online and then use it for lenses I decide to get in the future.
06-01-2018, 02:10 PM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
this might help in the future

" So you've found a lens and you don't know what camera it fits? Scroll down this set of photos until you find the one that it looks like. I don't have everything here, but I have most of the more common ones for manual-focus, focal plane shutter 35mm SLRs. "

SLR Lens Mount Identification Guide

The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount
Technical Information and a Little Bit of History
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on Dec 29, 2014

Read more at: The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
06-01-2018, 02:13 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by davida9202 Quote
I will certainly give a review that says that they inaccurately described it. Before I decide to return it though, are there lots of different lenses that use this particular mount? If so, I could just buy an adapter for it online and then use it for lenses I decide to get in the future.
Nah, I would just return it.

Part of the listing did say Canon FD, so the seller definitely screwed up there.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-01-2018, 02:18 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
this might help in the future

" So you've found a lens and you don't know what camera it fits? Scroll down this set of photos until you find the one that it looks like. I don't have everything here, but I have most of the more common ones for manual-focus, focal plane shutter 35mm SLRs. "

SLR Lens Mount Identification Guide

The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount
Technical Information and a Little Bit of History
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on Dec 29, 2014

Read more at: The Evolution of the Pentax K-mount - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
Thank you so much for this! I will definitely use it in the future haha
06-01-2018, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Nah, I would just return it.

Part of the listing did say Canon FD, so the seller definitely screwed up there.
Okay, will do.
06-01-2018, 02:42 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Canon "abandoned" the FD mount over thirty years ago. There are a few adapters for this mount, but mostly for MILCs, and, of course, because of its vintage, it is auto nothing. As far as I know, there is nothing special about this lens, so I would insist on returning it.
06-01-2018, 05:36 PM - 4 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

are there lots of different lenses that use this particular mount? If so, I could just buy an adapter for it online and then use it for lenses I decide to get in the future.
In some cases, with a particularly rare or valuable lens this might make sense. Since it is neither and there are thousands of actual K-mount lenses available that will actually work just send it back. It really is not worth the trouble.

Sorry you had a bad experience with your first vintage lens. But hopefully lessons learned:
1) Not all sellers have any clue what they are selling and may not describe things accurately. Look at the pictures carefully.
2) There are many different camera mounts, only K-mount and M42 are worth the bother for Pentax DSLRs unless you really, really know what you are doing
3) Never trust anyone on Ebay. Or maybe "trust but verify" is a good rule
4) Maybe not a lesson but may I suggest you start with genuine Pentax lenses first and move to other third party ones only after you have some experience.
06-01-2018, 08:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
) Maybe not a lesson but may I suggest you start with genuine Pentax lenses first and move to other third party ones only after you have some experience.
I would agree with this thought since there are some nice less expensive Pentax lenses out there to help you see if legacy lenses are worth your time and effort. There are some nice ones like the Takumars, both in M-42 and Bayonet mount in multiple focal lengths, so good luck and look here in the forums first since there are often actual images taken with the lens for sale to look at.
06-02-2018, 03:24 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thank you! The images should be attached with this if everything works correctly
thats a canon mount not a K mount
06-04-2018, 11:43 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Be fair. Give the seller a chance to make things right. He may not know that it is not a Pentax mount.

If you get no satisfaction from the seller, then leave a bad review.
06-04-2018, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
Be fair. Give the seller a chance to make things right. He may not know that it is not a Pentax mount.

If you get no satisfaction from the seller, then leave a bad review.
Contacted the seller and he was very apologetic. Refunded me and let me keep the lens anyways, so i gave him a good review anyways.