Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2018, 08:51 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The photos look great in my k-50 review screen,but when uploaded to computer, Flat.

Yesterday while taking photos around the neighborhood, I noticed how wonderful the photos appeared on the rear viewing screen. However, when uploaded into my computer, they looked like Heck. Flat, exposure wise and basically not much color. I did do some checking on my monitor and it seemed to be functioning just fine. This is the first time this has happened.
Thanks for reading.
TT

06-02-2018, 08:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Raw or jpeg?
Any examples?
06-02-2018, 09:30 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Yesterday while taking photos around the neighborhood, I noticed how wonderful the photos appeared on the rear viewing screen. However, when uploaded into my computer, they looked like Heck. Flat, exposure wise and basically not much color. I did do some checking on my monitor and it seemed to be functioning just fine. This is the first time this has happened.
Thanks for reading.
TT
Oftentimes things look better on the screen just because it's smaller. It happens to me plenty of times

But, if it's a color profile issue in RAW, or something like that, then adjustments can always correct it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-02-2018, 09:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Are you shooting RAW or DNG? The review screen will show a jpeg which is processed, but the RAW or DNG is always going to look flat, dull, and a bit soft once uploaded and viewed on a computer monitor until you do some post process editing.
If you don't want to post process at all, then I recommend you make sure you are shooting Jpeg only at the highest quality setting. The K-50 does an exceptional job at processing jpegs, but for RAW/DNG, it's all up to you.

06-02-2018, 10:16 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Oftentimes things look better on the screen just because it's smaller. It happens to me plenty of times

But, if it's a color profile issue in RAW, or something like that, then adjustments can always correct it.

I can shoot in Raw and upload Raw and make adjustments, however, I am unable to roll over into Photo Editor 10. So basically I am limited to JPEG.

Thanks very much for the tip. I am now using FastStones Image Viewer.

TT

---------- Post added 06-02-18 at 10:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Are you shooting RAW or DNG? The review screen will show a jpeg which is processed, but the RAW or DNG is always going to look flat, dull, and a bit soft once uploaded and viewed on a computer monitor until you do some post process editing.
If you don't want to post process at all, then I recommend you make sure you are shooting Jpeg only at the highest quality setting. The K-50 does an exceptional job at processing jpegs, but for RAW/DNG, it's all up to you.

Hello Alex, please see my response to Adam's suggestions below.

Thnx for your helpful suggestions.

TT

---------- Post added 06-02-18 at 10:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Raw or jpeg?
Any examples?

JPEG exclusively. I was just trying to adjust my computer monitor and now I am getting the padlock icon. Seems as though someone has locked me out of my own monitor.

I will check to see if I have any examples left.

Thanks, CR.

TT

---------- Post added 06-02-18 at 10:26 PM ----------

Raw or jpeg?
Any examples?

I do have one example left. I assume it is okay to post it here.

TT

---------- Post added 06-02-18 at 10:31 PM ----------

06-03-2018, 12:11 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Raw or jpeg?
Any examples?

CR, My example is uploaded. See bottom of page. Thanks again.

Tony
06-03-2018, 02:43 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Please check your in camera RGB profile setting. If Adobe RGB is set and your Monitor doesn‘t cover this color space you‘ll see the colors of the preview image flat. In this case I‘d change the in camera profile setting to sRGB. Regards, acoufap
06-03-2018, 08:48 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It’s a lovely photo, just a tad underexposed. Should easily be able to save this one in post processing.

06-03-2018, 09:06 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll have to check it on my computer later but on a small screen it actually looks pretty good! For these kind of outdoor pictures if you shoot jpeg, the reversal film setting emulates what you would get from a slide film and would give you more saturated colors like it sounds like being what you are after.
06-03-2018, 10:21 AM   #10
Pentaxian

If you looked at your exposure (brightness/darkness) histogram of the images you are taking, you will get a good idea of what the light is doing or not doing in your pictures. Most of the time it will be able to tell you a lot. In Manual mode there is a meter that will also help in most cases. I use TAV mode sometimes if I am shooting wildlife or am on the go with different light situations occurring, it figures the ISO by itself per my aperture and shutter speed settings.

If you do not know very much about histogram use, you may want to watch some videos about it. It is a great tool in measuring light/dark. A user will find that it is a reference and can tweak settings to go darker or lighter according to what is preferred.
06-03-2018, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
Please check your in camera RGB profile setting. If Adobe RGB is set and your Monitor doesn‘t cover this color space you‘ll see the colors of the preview image flat. In this case I‘d change the in camera profile setting to sRGB.
I agree with this IF you do not intend to print out your work. I have a colleague that also shoots a K50 and predominantly shares his work only on the web and views on screen monitors only. He noted how much more vibrant he found sRGB space over AdobeRGB, and that makes sense when viewing on most RGB screens set to the default sRGB color space.

At the risk of oversimplification, shooting in sRGB is like a color drawing made with 8 crayons.
With AbobeRGB, imagine the same drawing with a box of 16 crayons. More subtlety, nuances, blends, but less contrast and vibrancy.

And it should also be noted that with AdobeRGB, the main gain is in the cyan-green end of the spectrum. So that skews your overall balance where warm colors won't appear to "pop" as much.
06-03-2018, 01:01 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
Please check your in camera RGB profile setting. If Adobe RGB is set and your Monitor doesn‘t cover this color space you‘ll see the colors of the preview image flat. In this case I‘d change the in camera profile setting to sRGB. Regards, acoufap

Hello and thanks very much for your response. I do have the preset at sRGB.

TT

---------- Post added 06-03-18 at 01:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
It’s a lovely photo, just a tad underexposed. Should easily be able to save this one in post processing.
You are correct, I did make a copy in Photo Editor 10 just in case I botched the process.

Thanks,

TT

---------- Post added 06-03-18 at 01:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
If you looked at your exposure (brightness/darkness) histogram of the images you are taking, you will get a good idea of what the light is doing or not doing in your pictures. Most of the time it will be able to tell you a lot. In Manual mode there is a meter that will also help in most cases. I use TAV mode sometimes if I am shooting wildlife or am on the go with different light situations occurring, it figures the ISO by itself per my aperture and shutter speed settings.

If you do not know very much about histogram use, you may want to watch some videos about it. It is a great tool in measuring light/dark. A user will find that it is a reference and can tweak settings to go darker or lighter according to what is preferred.

Yes, I understand what you are saying, however I do not believe the camera settings are the problem. After taking the photo, the image appears on the rear monitor and it looks really beautiful. I was really excited at the appearance on the rear monitor. The problem is the loss of exposure and color after uploading onto my computer. I wonder if perhaps I need to change the image size to small? I will give it a try and see what happens. Thanks again.

Tony
06-03-2018, 01:47 PM   #13
Pentaxian

In your flower shot, your focus is off a little- so easy to do in closeups or macro work. The frontal petals are in focus, while the flower's center is not quite. Such things make a difference in giving a more 3-D effect so the subject has some "pop". it is also something not as noticeable on a smaller screen. And yes, just a tad underexposed also. That you can brighten up in post process, since it is so slight- even with a JPEG.
Sometimes making a small adjustment of contrast or brightness, or even sharpening, in post process can produce a much more satisfying image.
06-03-2018, 01:59 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Sometimes making a small adjustment of contrast or brightness, or even sharpening, in post process can produce a much more satisfying image.
Here's a one click adjustment I did using a Nik Collection filter. One reason I shoot RAW is that it forces me to perfect my images the way I want it to be, and not the default set by my camera in making a jpeg. Hope you don't mind that I took the liberty of editing your image. If you do mind, just let me know and I will remove this post.

Last edited by Alex645; 09-07-2018 at 01:27 AM.
06-03-2018, 04:21 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote

Yes, I understand what you are saying, however I do not believe the camera settings are the problem. After taking the photo, the image appears on the rear monitor and it looks really beautiful. I was really excited at the appearance on the rear monitor. The problem is the loss of exposure and color after uploading onto my computer. I wonder if perhaps I need to change the image size to small? I will give it a try and see what happens. Thanks again.

Tony
Good luck.