Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2018, 03:46 AM   #1

K200D -- battery advice?

Hello all,

My well-traveled K30 fell recently victim to the sad aperture block failure issue, that's well documented in those forums. I was thinking of my next move and eventually I decided to go backwards: I got a K200D. It's in mint condition and it has fewer than 1000 shutter actuations, which is really good. Why a K200D? Small budget, top LCD screen, 10 MPix is enough for me, and those CCD colors...

I have had a couple of issues with it. The first one is related to the SD card. It seems that the K200D just doesn't like some SD cards and fails writing to them properly. A little bit of Googling told me that it may be a battery voltage issue, and some cards might be more sensitive to low voltage or voltage variations than others. I have a good one in now, so that turned out well.

The second problem is with the batteries. I put in 4 Eneloop Pros, and the camera refused to power on. The empty battery symbol on the top LCD was blinking. The same batteries in the same state, work in my K30 as well as in an older Fujifilm HS10. The K200D is the only one rejecting them. I tried with 4 alkalines that I had laying around (state unknown), and it worked.

Just in case I discharged and recharged the Eneloops overnight, I put them in this morning and I tried powering it on. This is what I got:
- first power on: "Battery depleted" on the screen, blinking empty battery symbol on top LCD
- second power on (same batteries, just a toggle of the switch): camera on, battery symbol showing half-empty
- after a test shot, battery symbol showing full.

It looks like the K200D may be having problems with the lower voltage of the LSD NiMH batteries. Can anyone with a K200D share their experience? What kind of battery works for you, and what doesn't?

The firmware of my camera is 1.01. The lens is the Pentax 18-135 WR. The camera is configured for sensor shake at startup (but that doesn't make any difference, I tried).

Thanks a lot!

06-03-2018, 03:57 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi,

I have a K200 as well. Moved to Eneloops in 2009 after having issues with other rechargeables and have had no issues since. They have been the best batteries for the camera. 2400mAH and 2850mAH
It too is running 1.01 firmware.

It appears as if the K200 has some other issues, you could try a set of Duracells. If they don't work then definately a problem.
NiMH about 1.2v, Normal AAs are 1.5v

BTW no issues with Sandisk class 4+ 10 cards to 16Gb
06-03-2018, 04:50 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I had similar problems with a K100D. Try CRV-3 batteries - not re-chargeable(I think Pentax advice is not to use the re-chargeable version) but seem to have satisfied the camera.
06-03-2018, 06:52 AM   #4
HYS
Veteran Member

We have two K200's at home and I've found the Energizer® Ultimate Lithium™ AA L91 lithium batteries as the only ones to be recommended. I think the problem is in the ability to deliver constant current by the battery sources. The rechargeable accumulators and the common AA batteries do not have so horizontal graph of the current vs time as the mentioned L91. Also the temperature dependence of the properties of L91 is really amazing. Well, they are more expensive but I think it's worth to consider them.

http://data.energizer.com/pdfs/l91.pdf

06-03-2018, 06:53 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lots of old threads on the topic of battery problems with this model.

Intolerable problem with batteries in K200 - PentaxForums.com
06-03-2018, 07:33 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HYS Quote
We have two K200's at home and I've found the Energizer® Ultimate Lithium™ AA L91 lithium batteries as the only ones to be recommended. I think the problem is in the ability to deliver constant current by the battery sources. The rechargeable accumulators and the common AA batteries do not have so horizontal graph of the current vs time as the mentioned L91. Also the temperature dependence of the properties of L91 is really amazing. Well, they are more expensive but I think it's worth to consider them.

http://data.energizer.com/pdfs/l91.pdf
This is what I use. I tried rechargeable batteries, and standard alkaline but none were reliable and some simply wouldnt work. The Energisers work every time. And last and last and last.
06-03-2018, 08:50 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi,
I have a K100Ds which shows a similar behavior.
I'm pretty sure it's a voltage issue, since the Amazon Basic I have can't power it up, but the Varta Ready 2Use can. They test higher when measured with a multimeter.

Since alkalines usually have a higher voltage than Ni-Mh when full, it's logical they work better with a camera that looks just like it has a drain somewhere (same for mine).

BTW in mine the standby-battery (the one powering the internal clock) is also depleted... never figured out if it was a proper battery or a capacitor, if it was in any way charged by the electronics when depleted etc. anyway...

I think you could try and give it a go with @nicolpa47 advice, which is sound (don't use rechargeable lithium, he's right about that)... they should last much longer than AA batteries.

Alkalines are not good, and don't work in cold weather (once I put a fresh set, took 2 snaps, batteries dead. back at home they tested full).

Last edited by LensBeginner; 06-03-2018 at 10:10 AM.
06-03-2018, 09:53 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I have a K30 and K200D too! Anyways I have been fine using regular eneloops in both of my cameras (some being the older Sanyo eneloops as well as the newer Panasonic branded ones). Have you tried non-rechargeable lithium batteries? That's another option.

06-03-2018, 03:10 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you all for your advice!

@HYS I may have to go down that road. I don't like using non-rechargeable batteries though.

@nicolpa47 I have just checked and the K200D doesn't accept CR-V3 batteries. The only form factor that will fit is AA.

@UncleVanya very sorry, I had missed that thread, thank you for the link. But in that thread as well as others, I can't find a consensus. Different people have different experiences, and I am having trouble identifying what will work for sure. I guess my best option right now are the non-rechargeable lithium batteries.
06-03-2018, 03:50 PM   #10
Forum Member

I use Energizer NiMH rechargeables in my K200D and I've never had a problem. Firmware 1.01. I didn't even know the camera was fussy about batteries until now. For my purposes, it's a fantastic camera that renders very nice-looking images.
06-03-2018, 04:48 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you search "Pentax battery depleted" you will find nearly all Pentax cameras that take AA batteries are a camera to avoid, My K200 and istDS died of this problem even after wasting money on Eneloops and lithiums . They would not go past taking 50 shots.

For CCD colour and relabilityI would buy a K10 that takes better battery packs.

I did read once that using an external battery pack avoided this problem but cant remember if the K200 has a outlet for an external pack?

Last edited by zippythezip; 06-03-2018 at 04:57 PM.
06-13-2018, 11:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by el-jeffe Quote
Hello all,

My well-traveled K30 fell recently victim to the sad aperture block failure issue, that's well documented in those forums. I was thinking of my next move and eventually I decided to go backwards: I got a K200D. It's in mint condition and it has fewer than 1000 shutter actuations, which is really good. Why a K200D? Small budget, top LCD screen, 10 MPix is enough for me, and those CCD colors...

I have had a couple of issues with it. The first one is related to the SD card. It seems that the K200D just doesn't like some SD cards and fails writing to them properly. A little bit of Googling told me that it may be a battery voltage issue, and some cards might be more sensitive to low voltage or voltage variations than others. I have a good one in now, so that turned out well.

The second problem is with the batteries. I put in 4 Eneloop Pros, and the camera refused to power on. The empty battery symbol on the top LCD was blinking. The same batteries in the same state, work in my K30 as well as in an older Fujifilm HS10. The K200D is the only one rejecting them. I tried with 4 alkalines that I had laying around (state unknown), and it worked.

Just in case I discharged and recharged the Eneloops overnight, I put them in this morning and I tried powering it on. This is what I got:
- first power on: "Battery depleted" on the screen, blinking empty battery symbol on top LCD
- second power on (same batteries, just a toggle of the switch): camera on, battery symbol showing half-empty
- after a test shot, battery symbol showing full.

It looks like the K200D may be having problems with the lower voltage of the LSD NiMH batteries. Can anyone with a K200D share their experience? What kind of battery works for you, and what doesn't?

The firmware of my camera is 1.01. The lens is the Pentax 18-135 WR. The camera is configured for sensor shake at startup (but that doesn't make any difference, I tried).

Thanks a lot!
I have a K200D which I don't use since getting a K30.

I used eneloops in both of them without problems. Make sure the K200D has the battery type set correctly, it's in the settings. You can also try cleaning the contacts.

For the SD card, I had issues with some cheaper cards, but Sandisk Extreme worked well in the K200D. I never upgraded the firmware, and IIRC, I was limited to 16G cards or something like that.
06-13-2018, 12:04 PM   #13
Pentaxian

You could try Ikea Ladda 2450 rechargeables, they were recently talked about on a Dpreview feature (about flashguns), and show good promise... I'd like to try them myself.
06-18-2018, 08:46 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I think this may be a case where many AA bodies gradually need more power as they age, although I don't know specifically why that should be true.
06-18-2018, 10:18 PM   #15
Pentaxian

In my K200D days I mainly used good quality rechargeables - Eneloops or similar - but I found it very important to use them with a good charger. A good charger is one that is "smart" and will only charge as far as necessary and can run a set of batteries through multiple charge/discharge cycles to maximise their performance (this may take up to a week). I found that lithiums performed better, specifically they were much more reliable, but were too expensive to use all the time.

My recent attempts to use my K200D have failed completely as nothing has been able to provide the power it apparently needs, though I have been told that this could be helped by putting the batteries in something else first to warm them up/get them started before transferring them to the camera.

When I bought it I considered the AA batteries a big plus for that camera but over the years I learned that this was far from true - AA batteries in a digital SLR (or at least in the K200D) were a very bad idea. I had a lot of problems with suddenly finding the camera unable to operate despite having batteries that were fully charged.