Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2018, 08:15 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens/Settings issue with one lens...

Hi all. I wanted some closer shots of my Skwerl feeder, so I pulled out my Promaster 70-300 and popped it onto the K-50. Oddly enough, today the lens will not allow the body to go into any mode except Av (or Bulb or Movie but not the issue here...). Yes, it normally operates in all modes, and I most often keep it in TAv mode.

Removed battery, turned body off & on a couple of times to drain any capacitors in there. No change in behaviour.

So, changed the lens back to the 18-135WR that usually lives on the body, and all modes appear as expected. I took the 70-300 and used a pencil eraser to clean the contacts on the mounting ring (yes I made sure to not get any crumbs inside). No change in behaviour, still only Av mode.

Suggestions??

Jim

06-05-2018, 08:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Make sure the aperture ring on the lens is all the way over to "A."
06-05-2018, 08:39 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Make sure the aperture ring on the lens is all the way over to "A."
<CENSORED> Bloody hell, that was the problem... <sigh> Mind like a Steel Colander, that's me... Thanks
06-05-2018, 09:07 AM   #4
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Mind like a Steel Colander, that's me...
Join the club!

06-05-2018, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #5

The amount of times I think something is broken because of the aperture ring. And I never learn.
06-05-2018, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

That why for us old guys, lenses without aperture rings are better. My Tamron 300 2.8 is always messing me up like that. The darn thing has a physical lock to keep that from happening. Sometimes I both unlock it and then turn the ring without meaning to.
06-05-2018, 09:21 AM   #7
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That why for us old guys, lenses without aperture rings are better. My Tamron 300 2.8 is always messing me up like that. The darn thing has a physical lock to keep that from happening. Sometimes I both unlock it and then turn the ring without meaning to.
Or grab the lock when mounting and dismounting perhaps? I know I have done that, I took about a dozen shots with my old Adaptall 28mm at f22 after doing that!
06-05-2018, 10:06 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Suggestions??
See that curious F--- in the viewfinder? It is your first clue that the body is not detecting a lens that it can control the aperture on. The most common causes are:
  • Lens has no mount contacts
  • Aperture ring in wrong position (not locked into "A" position)
  • Dirty contacts
If none of the above, it is possible that a electrical fault exists in the lens.

Steve

(...gotta keep the post count moving for the good of all of us...)

06-05-2018, 12:20 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
See that curious F--- in the viewfinder? It is your first clue that the body is not detecting a lens that it can control the aperture on. The most common causes are:
  • Lens has no mount contacts
  • Aperture ring in wrong position (not locked into "A" position)
  • Dirty contacts
If none of the above, it is possible that a electrical fault exists in the lens.

Steve

(...gotta keep the post count moving for the good of all of us...)
Yep, it was the 2nd choice... That lens doesn't lock in "A", unfortunately.

Movin Movin Movin, Keep them doggies Movin, etc etc
06-05-2018, 12:29 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

That lens doesn't lock in "A", unfortunately.
That sucks...bubble gum? super glue?

Steve
06-06-2018, 08:46 AM   #11
Pentaxian

You could always set the "Allow Aperture Ring" or whatchamacallit option to "Yes", and use the aperture ring to control the aperture.
This is a lifesaver on cameras that only have one dial and not two. Since you have the K-30 and the K-50 it's not your case, but still...
06-07-2018, 10:24 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
You could always set the "Allow Aperture Ring" or whatchamacallit option to "Yes", and use the aperture ring to control the aperture.
This is a lifesaver on cameras that only have one dial and not two. Since you have the K-30 and the K-50 it's not your case, but still...
well, my K-30 has suffered the imfamous aperture-control failure (hence the K-50...), so it may still be a practical use

Here are a few images from the target I was trying to get. Promaster 70-300 on the K-50, handheld and shooting thru a double-pane window. A bit of CA if you look really close, but the pics turned out well for my little furry friend (Otis says she *is* friendly and I *will* continue to provide rations...)

Gotta scratch that itch!

You wonder how much they can see the other direction...
06-07-2018, 12:47 PM   #13
Pentaxian

well, my K-30 has suffered the imfamous aperture-control failure (hence the K-50...), so it may still be a practical use

Here are a few images from the target I was trying to get. Promaster 70-300 on the K-50, handheld and shooting thru a double-pane window. A bit of CA if you look really close, but the pics turned out well for my little furry friend (Otis says she *is* friendly and I *will* continue to provide rations...)
Nice squirrel, nice pics!

BTW I was musing... since people often talk about buying M42 adapters and glueing them to select lenses - but you need to remove the clip so it's not very safe, and since the price of a used K-30 with ACB failure is low (I got one for 60), one could go the opposite way, glue an M42 adapter to the camera body and get the best modern digital native M42 body money can buy!