Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
06-05-2018, 11:34 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adaptall - Tamron SP 60-300: Adapter Not Tight to Body...

All,
I have a Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 60-300. While it has spiderwebs of fungus on the elements (which I may clean, or sometime purchase a new (read: used) copy of the lens, it seems to take good photos. My concern is that the adapter will not easily attach to the body of the lens, and when it does, it seems loose. There is a bigger gap than I would think between the lens and the adapter, and it doesn't seem to lock in place. So, if I am adjusting the aperture ring, the lens will change its alignment within the adapter ring - and in some circumstances, come off. The spring-tab on the side of the camera does not seem to function (it never pops out when the adapter is attached), so I wonder if the mechanism holding the adapter in place is damaged. Looking down into the camera, I can see a curved wire or spring coming off the side, but I am not sure of its exact function. Anyone dealt with a similar problem with the adapter?

06-05-2018, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

First question...

Which adapter (PK, PK/A, Pentax(m42), or something else)?

Second question...

Does a different adapter mount cleanly?

Third question...

Do you have the instructions for attaching/removing the adapters?*

Steve

* Strange as it might sound, how it is done may influence whether some versions will mount cleanly.
06-05-2018, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Are you making sure that the lens is at the smallest aperture when you add the adapter, and that the tabs (if there are any) are aligned with the notches in the lens?

Make sure to give the adapter a good twist to make sure it's attached to the lens correctly.
06-05-2018, 11:53 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
First question...

Which adapter (PK, PK/A, Pentax(m42), or something else)?

Second question...

Does a different adapter mount cleanly?

Third question...

Do you have the instructions for attaching/removing the adapters?*

Steve

* Strange as it might sound, how it is done may influence whether some versions will mount cleanly.
Steve,

1. The adapter is the P/K seen here: Tamron Adaptall P-KM mount Lens Reviews - Tamron Adaptall Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database - with the flange and two tabs.

2. I think I have a Minolta adapter I can try. I will do so.

3. I do not.

I followed directions on a video on Youtube showing attachment. It didn't seem to improve my attempts at all.

---------- Post added 06-05-18 at 11:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
Are you making sure that the lens is at the smallest aperture when you add the adapter, and that the tabs (if there are any) are aligned with the notches in the lens?

Make sure to give the adapter a good twist to make sure it's attached to the lens correctly.
Just to make sure, do you mean "smallest aperture" as in F/5.4 rather than F/3.8?

06-05-2018, 12:20 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
Steve,

1. The adapter is the P/K seen here: Tamron Adaptall P-KM mount Lens Reviews - Tamron Adaptall Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database - with the flange and two tabs.

3. I do not.

I followed directions on a video on Youtube showing attachment. It didn't seem to improve my attempts at all.
This helps a lot. First of all, here is a link to a free* downloads of the Adaptall, Adaptall-2, and Adapt-a-matic manuals (pdf):
Tamron Adaptall / Adaptall - II instruction manual
A quick summary of those instructions goes like this:

To attach:
  1. Turn the aperture ring to its widest setting (lowest number)...important
  2. Line up the green dot on the lens base with the green dot on the adapter
  3. Press the two together and twist the adapter until the silver retainer tab on the lens "clicks" and pops up. Check that the adapter is firmly retailed.
  4. Slide the index tab(s) into place into the indents on the aperture ring if they are not already there.
  5. There will be a 1mm gap between the lens base and adapter proper

To detach:
  2. Depress the silver retainer tab and twist the adapter off the lens base
The part about moving the aperture ring to its widest setting is important in that some adapters will not cleanly/freely attach/detach unless this is done. Both the P/K and P/KA adapters require this step and it is particularly important with the P/KA. Don't attempt to remove a P/KA with the aperture ring locked in the "AE" position.

I believe the above should help a lot.

Steve

* Jim Butkis provides free manuals, but is always grateful for a donation to help him meet the expenses of doing so.
06-05-2018, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Steve,

3. I do not.

Just to make sure, do you mean "smallest aperture" as in F/5.4 rather than F/3.8?
I have one of those #23A lenses also. It is one of their "SP" lenses, which means they thought it was 'professional' grade back when they manufactured it. I don't use it very much, because I have found the DA 55-300mm to work better {and it auto focuses also!}, but mine fits snugly and works well.
06-05-2018, 07:15 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This helps a lot. First of all, here is a link to a free* downloads of the Adaptall, Adaptall-2, and Adapt-a-matic manuals (pdf):
Tamron Adaptall / Adaptall - II instruction manual
A quick summary of those instructions goes like this:

To attach:
  2. Line up the green dot on the lens base with the green dot on the adapter
  3. Press the two together and twist the adapter until the silver retainer tab on the lens "clicks" and pops up. Check that the adapter is firmly retailed.
  4. Slide the index tab(s) into place into the indents on the aperture ring if they are not already there.
  5. There will be a 1mm gap between the lens base and adapter proper
To detach:
  2. Depress the silver retainer tab and twist the adapter off the lens base
The part about moving the aperture ring to its widest setting is important in that some adapters will not cleanly/freely attach/detach unless this is done. Both the P/K and P/KA adapters require this step and it is particularly important with the P/KA. Don't attempt to remove a P/KA with the aperture ring locked in the "AE" position.

I believe the above should help a lot.

Steve

* Jim Butkis provides free manuals, but is always grateful for a donation to help him meet the expenses of doing so.
That worked! Part of it is, I suspect, that the lens has some part of the "silver tab" removal mechanism that is jammed...I moved it into "mount" position manually. Then I attached the adapter per instructions, and it seems to have a good fit now.

I think I will either look into another 60-300, or perhaps save for a Pentax 55-300. The fungus on this lens makes me twitchy, and I wonder if I can get even clearer shots with a better copy. Or, perhaps even look at the SP 200-500, for astral, etc.

Thanks again, to all of you!

06-05-2018, 07:20 PM   #8
Pentaxian

That worked! Part of it is, I suspect, that the lens has some part of the "silver tab" removal mechanism that is jammed...I moved it into "mount" position manually. Then I attached the adapter per instructions, and it seems to have a good fit now.

I think I will either look into another 60-300, or perhaps save for a Pentax 55-300. The fungus on this lens makes me twitchy, and I wonder if I can get even clearer shots with a better copy. Or, perhaps even look at the SP 200-500, for astral, etc.

Thanks again, to all of you!
If you have a camera that will support KAF4, I would encourage you to look at the DA 55-300 PLM lens. On occasion I miss a photo because I don't have time to get focus right. I suppose I could practice more, but I'm real fan of automation, and the old AdaptAll 60-300 is much heavier than the DA 55-300.
06-05-2018, 07:25 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If you have a camera that will support KAF4, I would encourage you to look at the DA 55-300 PLM lens. On occasion I miss a photo because I don't have time to get focus right. I suppose I could practice more, but I'm real fan of automation, and the old AdaptAll 60-300 is much heavier than the DA 55-300.
I have a K-3, so it will.

Also, glad to see someone else from the South Bend, IN area!