Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-05-2018, 05:31 PM   #1

Is there a way to return to default settings - Optio RS1000?

I own a Pentax Optio RS1000. I've always used it in it's automatic settings mode, but over time, the quality of the pictures seems degraded. I suspect that I may have inadvertently changed some settings that caused this. Is there a way to make the camera just revert to it's default factory settings? I'm not technically minded and also vision-impaired, so I'd rather not pore through a couple of hundred pages of instruction manual trying to diagnose the problem manually. I also own a second identical camera that I bought used on eBay that works alright, but the flash doesn't seem to work, despite assurances from the seller that it was tested and worked fine. Again, I wonder if it's a settings issue, so having a way to reset it to default factory settings might make it useful again. Thanks in advance for any advice and assistance you can offer.

Last edited by kenneth7379; 06-05-2018 at 05:38 PM.
06-05-2018, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here ya go.
Attached Images

06-05-2018, 07:22 PM   #3

Original Poster
Mark, thank you so much for your response. I'll give this a try.
06-05-2018, 09:01 PM   #4

Original Poster
Just a quick followup.....Resetting the main camera might have had some positive effect, but the picture's still not up to scratch. The images aren't as crisp and detailed as pictures taken of the same thing with the second camera, or even as clean as the photos I see taken with cell phone cameras.

The second camera (the one that had a non-working flash) didn't benefit from a reset.....The flash still doesn't work. The seller had suggested that I might have set the camera to a mode that made the flash inoperative, such as Panorama, but I think he was just making excuses for a bum camera. Too late to send it back, so I guess it's permanently a daylight-only camera.

I found a comment elsewhere on the forum when I did an RS1000 search. It said that the point-and-shoot cameras were basically throwaways, so I don't know if it's worth pursuing getting the main camera serviced. Anyway, I appreciate the advice about the reset function.

06-05-2018, 09:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Too bad the rest did not help. Do you see any defect in the lens?
06-05-2018, 09:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenneth7379 Quote
Mark, thank you so much for your response. I'll give this a try.
You're most welcome.
06-05-2018, 10:53 PM   #7
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by kenneth7379 Quote
I own a Pentax Optio RS1000. I've always used it in it's automatic settings mode, but over time, the quality of the pictures seems degraded. I suspect that I may have inadvertently changed some settings that caused this. Is there a way to make the camera just revert to it's default factory settings? I'm not technically minded and also vision-impaired, so I'd rather not pore through a couple of hundred pages of instruction manual trying to diagnose the problem manually. I also own a second identical camera that I bought used on eBay that works alright, but the flash doesn't seem to work, despite assurances from the seller that it was tested and worked fine. Again, I wonder if it's a settings issue, so having a way to reset it to default factory settings might make it useful again. Thanks in advance for any advice and assistance you can offer.
Have you checked the lens for fingerprints?

Has the camera been dropped, which could perhaps cause misalignment of the lens elements?

It might help the troubleshooting if you could post some sample photos.

06-06-2018, 11:02 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Have you checked the lens for fingerprints?

Has the camera been dropped, which could perhaps cause misalignment of the lens elements?

It might help the troubleshooting if you could post some sample photos.
I've never cleaned the lens.....I've never touched the lens, and the camera is in a case unless it's being used. Would a prescription lens polishing cloth be an appropriate way to do that? The camera's never been dropped or traumatized in any way.

I had some difficulty finding sample pictures because generally I delete them as soon as I know they haven't worked out satisfactorily. Here are a couple though that illustrate what I'm unhappy about. There's a lack of detail that I didn't experience when I first started using the camera.