Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
06-06-2018, 09:17 PM - 1 Like   #1

Macro lens on APSC and FF

Just wondering,

If I have a 100mm 1:1 Macro lens with MFD ~ 6". Put this lens on the APSC and FF camera, I believe the MFD of the lens will not change on both camera, then how about the following :

- If the FF photo is 1:1, will the photo from the APSC become 'super macro' like 1.5:1 ?
- Can I move away a little longer from the subject (like 1.5 X 6" to 9") on the APSC camera and still get the 1:1 photo ?

Thanks

06-06-2018, 09:29 PM - 4 Likes   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by micl161 Quote
- If the FF photo is 1:1, will the photo from the APSC become 'super macro' like 1.5:1 ?
No, 1:1 is 1:1 (1x magnification) no matter how much you crop.

QuoteOriginally posted by micl161 Quote
- Can I move away a little longer from the subject (like 1.5 X 6" to 9") on the APSC camera and still get the 1:1 photo ?
1:1 is typically available at the minimum focus distance which remains the same regardless of the size of the sensor one is using. If one moves away, one may attain the same framing with APS-C as with 24x36mm FF at 1:1, but at lower magnification (0.67x). The rules are the same as with non-macro lenses. Framing (crop) is not the same as magnification, though it may influence how much magnification is required to attain final display size.

Example: If one takes a photo of a metric ruler stretched across the frame at 1:1 using a 24x36 FF camera, the number of millimeter marks visible will be 35 full marks with 1/2 mark at either side. The same ruler at 1:1 on APS-C will show 24 full marks with 0.55 mark at either side (25.1mm). Backing off so that 35 marks show with a 1/2 mark on each side requires only 1:1.5 (0.67x magnification) at capture, but 1.5x more enlargement at print time than the FF image to make a 24x36cm print.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-06-2018 at 09:49 PM.
06-06-2018, 09:33 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Strictly speaking, no.

1:1 reproduction means that the image on the sensor is life size.

On a crop sensor you therefore get less of it, so when you enlarge it to the same size it looks more magnified.

[edit]In other words, what Steve said [/edit]
06-06-2018, 10:04 PM - 8 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Its easier for me to think of 1:1 by visualizing putting the thing i am photographing on the sensor. If i took a coin and pressed it on the sensor that is what the sensor would process. Its actual size. Since the ff sensor is bigger the coin won't take up as much of the sensor as on apsc.

06-06-2018, 10:17 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Its easier for me to think of 1:1 by visualizing putting the thing i am photographing on the sensor. If i took a coin and pressed it on the sensor that is what the sensor would process. Its actual size. Since the ff sensor is bigger the coin won't take up as much of the sensor as on apsc.
Excellent explanation!

Steve
06-06-2018, 10:21 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Thanks i was puzzled at one time and this thinking is what got me through it.
06-06-2018, 10:21 PM - 4 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

However, the novice photographer is advised not to press a coin on their sensor.

06-07-2018, 05:56 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The practical impact of all of this is that most of the time the apsc sensor has denser pixels per mm so 1:1 on apsc will have a higher number of pixels on the subject which allows potentially larger enlargements without loss of detail.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 06-07-2018 at 06:06 AM.
06-07-2018, 06:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
After "equivalent focal length" (?) and then "equivalent aperture" (??), some clever fellow actually came up with "equivalent magnification"

I don't remember the details, but the same question was posed on the Italian forum, citing IIRC Olympus website, and the technical specification of some macro lenses, which had confusingly different and strange magnification values, like "2:1 on m43" for a 1:1 lens...

So no worries, people who do that for a living get it wrong all the time!
06-07-2018, 06:59 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The practical impact of all of this is that most of the time the apsc sensor has denser pixels per mm so 1:1 on apsc will have a higher number of pixels on the subject which allows potentially larger enlargements without loss of detail.
And also sometimes a smaller sensor site camera will capture detail not captured with a camera with larger pixel sites. This almost always favours smaller sensor cameras.

IN a practical sense, since most to the time you are enlarging things with macro, you get more effective enlargement with a smaller sensor. There's nothing quite as disappointing as setting up a macro on a K-3 then changing to a K-1 because of light conditions. And I so often shoot close to the minimum focusing distance moving closer is not an option. On a K-1 minimum focusing distance is more likely to become an issue, because it's harder to fill the frame with a small object.

I only use the K-1 for macro when I don't have enough light to effectively use the K-3 and I want to push to the K-1 high ISO values. If you have a K-70 or K-P even the isn't much of an issue.
06-07-2018, 08:03 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for the ruler and coin example, it seems I understand the rule now, but I'm sure I'll get confuse again sooner or later !

Also thanks for pointing out the advantage of APSC when shooting macro, so many to learn..!
06-07-2018, 08:17 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Good explanation.

Before I purchased a macro lens I had taken pieces of cardboard and cut rectangles out of them corresponding to the framing I'd get with aps-c at different magnifications. A 16x24mm rectangular with "1:1" label, a 32x48mm hole with a "1:2" label, etc. This let me compare the framing I could get with the macro vs. the lenses I had at their minimum focusing distance. Easy enough to repeat for different sensor formats.
06-07-2018, 08:23 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Good explanation.

Before I purchased a macro lens I had taken pieces of cardboard and cut rectangles out of them corresponding to the framing I'd get with aps-c at different magnifications. A 16x24mm rectangular with "1:1" label, a 32x48mm hole with a "1:2" label, etc. This let me compare the framing I could get with the macro vs. the lenses I had at their minimum focusing distance. Easy enough to repeat for different sensor formats.
It's a great idea!
A variation could be an A5 sized sheet with the various size printed (I think an A4 is too big for that, you don't need to go all the way to 1:10...), that one could laminate and bring with them.
One could also cut it, and get the transparency and resilience from the plastification.
06-07-2018, 08:27 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Q with a macro lens would be pretty crazy with most subjects!
06-07-2018, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

There you go, I took the liberty of practicing what I preached!
Due credit is given, of course.
And it's another small bit towards the month's quota... I'm just dying to get that K-1...
Remember it's an A5 sheet, not A4! So 148 x 210 mm
Attached Images
File Type: pdf APS-C macro.pdf (25.2 KB, 102 views)