Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-08-2018, 09:33 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Using 2 adapters on third party lens to achieve PK mount?

Basically...

Let's say I have a Kiev 88 lens that I want to use with my K-50.

I could get a Kiev 88 to PK adapter for $100 - done.

Now, can I circumvent that cost by using:

1. Kiev 88 to M42 adapter which promises infinity focus- about $35, THEN

2. M42 to PK adapter - which I already own

Am I trying too hard to be cheap here? Is this doable with any other combination of 2 adapters (Like, OM to EOS then EOS to PK)?

06-08-2018, 10:32 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Medium format is doable, long register distances. 35mm? No. Unless you are using a short register mirrorless camera...BTW, there is no EOS to PK...you can use PK on EOS but not the other way around...
06-08-2018, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

There's no reason why it wouldn't work, and the M42 route is likely quite reliable and easy to unscrew when it's time to change lenses. On the down side, removing the M42 adapter from the body is fiddly.

There have been red flags on "doubling up" in the past. For instance, Bronica stopped owners from mounting a teleconverter and an extension on their lenses at the same time. One guy I knew wondered why, and removed the little pin that prevented it. Took his first shot, no problem. Then discovered the lens shutter wouldn't re-cock. And you can't remove an un-cocked lens from a Bronica. Took hours of disassembly to get it all apart. Turns out that the cocking levers have a bit of play in them. Double the play, and the levers don't turn enough to re-cock the shutter. Yup ... that's why!

But a simple shutterless Kiev lens will work fine, and you'll have to work the aperture manually.

The main question is .... why? What Kiev lens could you possibly mount on a Pentax K-50 that wouldn't be massively out-performed by a stock Pentax lens. Medium format lenses don't resolve as fine detail as do lenses for 35mm and digital - their only advantage came when you quadrupled the amount of film area you shot them on.

I posed myself the same question when wondering about adapting my lovely Zeiss Hasselblad lenses on my digital. The 50mm and 80mm would have been clumsy and outperformed. My 180mm would probably have been fine, but still would be a pain to use compared to my 80-200 AF.

I figure the main use for those adapters is for the photographer backpacking up a mountainside with a Hasselblad and a digital outfit, and can only haul one 500mm lens.
06-08-2018, 04:31 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
you can use PK on EOS but not the other way around...
I did not know this... I added thi example as I have a nice Zuiko collection, and while there is an OM to PK adapter, it adds an elements that just takes away from the original glass.

---------- Post added 06-08-18 at 07:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
On the down side, removing the M42 adapter from the body is fiddly.
I use the cheap $7 ones, and the trick with those is to take off the screw a lever on the adapter, screw the adapter in the lens itself and then just treat the lens like a PK one (but it does not "click" into place. Have had no issue with those getting stuck at all.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
The main question is .... why? What Kiev lens could you possibly mount on a Pentax K-50 that wouldn't be massively out-performed by a stock Pentax lens.
Well, I am not seeking a particular one off the web, but I have someone with a nice collection (not selling) and I wonder if I could borrow it to do some astro.