Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2018, 02:13 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
K-70 metering issues

good morning (-:

I have recently bought a refurbished K-70 camera and a sh Tamron 90mm macro , very pleased with both.

However I`ve shot some flowers this morning and find all shots to be overexposed.
I used matrix, -1/3 exposure, single spot AF , neutral.....

A lot of the shots had Daisies which made me expect the camera to under expose (certainly not to over expose).
The files are usable as they are only overexposed by 1/2 to 1 stop (in my opinion) but it still seems odd to me !

Can anyone see in the Exif data what`s wrong or has any other Pentax relevant info ?
Many thanks !!
Chris (-:

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Last edited by beaconschris; 06-10-2018 at 02:22 AM. Reason: different image chosen
06-10-2018, 02:33 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This shot looks perfectly exposed to me. Is it your monitor perhaps?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-10-2018, 02:50 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yep, the histogram shows no overexposure at all.
06-10-2018, 02:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are capturing images in the camera JPEG file format, it might be worth doing a Reset to get the camera back to its default settings if you have not yet done so (see the Spanner Menu 5). Then go through the menus to set up the camera as you wish - it is worth experimenting with different parameters and costs you nothing except some of your time.

Philip

06-10-2018, 03:02 AM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This shot looks perfectly exposed to me. Is it your monitor perhaps?
thanks Adam !
I`ve emailed the image to a friend and checked on his pc and indeed it looks very different (less bright and more saturated), I`ve done some adjustments to my pc screen (-:
I knew the colour was off on my pc but never noticed it being too bright until today !
Many thanks (-:
regards
Chris
06-10-2018, 03:22 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Most consumer monitors and TVs are usually set too bright for photographic use. They need to appeal the average user, who wants to see movies and videogames.
I think it's almost mandatory to profile a monitor in order to use it for photography. It's kinda easy with a calibrator, especially one which can check luminance (good values for post processing are around 120 cadelas per square meter, which will probably look kinda dark to you at the beginning).

Regarding saturation, I feel this picture could do with a little bit more, but apart from that I think it's fine
06-10-2018, 03:54 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Most consumer monitors and TVs are usually set too bright for photographic use. They need to appeal the average user, who wants to see movies and videogames.
I think it's almost mandatory to profile a monitor in order to use it for photography. It's kinda easy with a calibrator, especially one which can check luminance (good values for post processing are around 120 cadelas per square meter, which will probably look kinda dark to you at the beginning).

Regarding saturation, I feel this picture could do with a little bit more, but apart from that I think it's fine
thanks LensBeginner !
my laptop only allows for basic adjustments )-` but it`s better now then before.
The image is off course straight out of the camera... and looks now actually very nice (as base).

regards
Chris

---------- Post added 06-10-18 at 11:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Yep, the histogram shows no overexposure at all.
thanks , very interesting, may I ask how you were able to check the histogram for my image ?
Chris

06-10-2018, 04:43 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beaconschris Quote
thanks , very interesting, may I ask how you were able to check the histogram for my image ?
Chris
Almost every single image viewer has a histogram function (even IrfanView or FastStone).
06-10-2018, 07:49 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by beaconschris Quote
Downloaded your image and opened it in Silkypix Developer Studio Pro. As mentioned above, any decent image editor will allow you to do the same.
06-10-2018, 01:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

see Menu

This is a lens effect to camera, return to zero EV.

From menu - custom image the default is bright, try other selection.
06-11-2018, 12:05 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Penview52 Quote
This is a lens effect to camera, return to zero EV.

From menu - custom image the default is bright, try other selection.
thank you, I had changed that to natural.
But after adjusting my screen I`m pleased with the RAW image (-:
Chris