Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2008, 09:58 AM   #1

Origin of Pentax K-series

Do not know if it is true or not but according to our local Pentax representative's home page it is defined as follows (from Asahi/Honeywell/ Pentax history):
1958: Pentax available in USA, Pentax derived from PENTAprism+refleX, up to 1977 Pentax cameras marketed as Honeywell, Pentax K camera is introduced with microprism viewfinder and half-automatic shutter (?) AND what struck me was the definition: K stands for a KING aka king of SLR cameras...
Was it some kind of poetry or what- or was it a real intention?
Best and happy shooting, JR

09-12-2008, 09:51 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that's very intersting- can't confirm it, though

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-12-2008, 10:26 PM   #3
graphicgr8s

Yeah but it was in like 1958 and referred to a camera model not a mount. Just look at pentax's website. Pentax Imaging

Last edited by graphicgr8s; 09-13-2008 at 09:17 PM.
09-12-2008, 10:36 PM   #4
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
refered to a camera model not a mount.
correct, and since Pentax didn't introduce the K mount until nearly twenty years later I think its a bit of a stretch to link the Asahi Pentax K and the K mount. it does however fit the bill, at least for me I think the K mount is the king of all mounts, for such a long production run if nothing else. I see no reason why Pentax would ever dump the K mount short of a complete change in camera technology. all in all its interesting to see that Pentax thought so highly of its camera to give it such a title, even if nobody except them knew what it stood for.

09-12-2008, 10:56 PM   #5
graphicgr8s

Yeah, I love reading that history and Pentax innovations. I still have my original K1000 and it's seen a lot of film go through it. And it still works as do all my lenses. But was it foresight or just dumb luck that they have a mount that even works with digital? Mamiya was another innovator in 35mm. I am just glad that I couldn't afford the Mamiya back then.
Maybe the K nomenclature came about like WD-40. You know, they labeled the mounts A,B,C... and stopped at K.
09-13-2008, 02:55 AM   #6

Original Poster
As You all noticed the thread was about K as king of SLR -camera- not about lens mount naming :-)
Also found the source from which our local language history was translated:
Pentax Imaging
Best and happy shooting, JR
09-13-2008, 05:37 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Yeah but it was in like 1958 and refered to a camera model not a mount. Just look at pentax's website. Pentax Imaging
You know I kind of agree that that is quite tenuous. The "K" model was an M42 model made for one year in 1958, and was followed by the H2, H3, SV, H1a, and then the Spotmatic, Spotmatic nnn, and son on and on. Why would they "throw back" so far? By that time the "K" model was long forgotten and would have been a very obsolete piece of equipment. Very. It had a semi-auto diaphragm for goodness sake!

On the other hand, the first K mount was the K2, so there is a possibility. It's just odd to wait for the first version of an "anything" to be long dead and buried before coming out with the version 2.

It's a little like making the sequel "The Wizard of Oz 2"

woof!