Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
06-11-2018, 07:19 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Just purchased a k-50 body and I

First off my name is Will and I want to introduce myself to the board. I just purchased a K-50 body for $100.00 so I couldn't pass on that deal. Im a novice at photography and I wanted to purchase a cheap lens thats compatible with the camera. I mostly want to take shots of my newborn and some nice outdoor photos, so I want a good all around lens. Also where can I find accesories for cheap?

Thanks in advance

06-11-2018, 07:29 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
$100 sounds like a great deal- did you check to see if the camera is OK? K-50's are prone to developing the aperture block issue, which prevents you from correctly exposing with lenses without an aperture ring.

The DA 35mm "plastic fantastic" is an amazing value, if you're looking for an everyday prime:

Pentax 35mm DA L F2.4 AL Lens 21987 B&H Photo Video

If you want even cheaper legacy glass, hit up the Marketplace.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-11-2018, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by six6nine9wpk Quote
I wanted to purchase a cheap lens thats compatible with the camera. I mostly want to take shots of my newborn and some nice outdoor photos, so I want a good all around lens. Also where can I find accesories for cheap?
Welcome to the forum, Will. $100 for a K-50 is a 'steal', so like Adam says, I hope it's all functioning with no surprises.

I would recommend the 18-55mm kit lens that usually comes with the camera. It is often taken for granted because of the low price and commonality, but it's actually the best value and a great match for the K-50.

Here's one used for $60:
Used Pentax SMCP-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Autofocus Lens 21547

Or for $65 and a longer warranty (180 day):
Pentax 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 SMC DA AL II K Mount Autofocus Lens For APS-C Sensor DSLRS {52} at KEH Camera Store

You can also check out the Marketplace on this forum for lenses and accessories.
06-11-2018, 07:57 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks guys for the quick reply. I don't know what the hell Im looking for as far as internal damage is concerened, but the camera appears to be in mint condition. There are no scratches on the screen or scuffs on the body. Whats the best SD card and brand for aftermarket battery/chargers?

Thanx in advance

06-11-2018, 08:19 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You need to suggest a budget, which we will cheerfully ignore.

A lens that was frequently sold with the K-50 is the SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database. I thought this lens was a little expensive new, but it is often cheap used. I told myself I'd buy the first one I saw at $200 and the next day, I did. It's weather resistant, silent focus, and feels like a quality piece. The focal range is reasonable and really good for me. You can find lenses that go from 18 to 300mm and that sounds great, but they usually compromise somewhere. The 18-135 isn't perfect everywhere either, but it does "nice outdoor photos" for me.

I have a DA 18-55 WR also which is pretty good, and these are cheap. I still use it a lot because it's small and light. I don't need both - one reason to not get the 18-55 is that if you see yourself buying many lenses, the 18-55 starts gathering dust pretty quick.

Newborn shots suggest a prime lens, like the DA 35/f2.4 already suggested, or a DA 50/f1.8. The reason for those is to take shots without a flash or turning on every light in the house. Those lenses let in as much as three times the light as ordinary zoom lenses, and the baby will be in a fixed location for a while so you don't need zoom flexibility.

Maybe one more lens if you really have to, a version of the DA 55-300. That lets you zoom in to stuff, probably not quite as much as you want, but as much as you can afford for now.

It helps to stop after a few lenses because using them helps you figure out what you should concentrate on next.
06-11-2018, 08:56 PM - 1 Like   #6
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to PF Will.

Some great suggestions here already. For really cheap, DA 18-55. For a versatile zoom at an affordable price, DA 18-135. For a low cost lens for high quality images, especially indoors without flash, DA 35mm f2.4 or DA 50mm f1.8. For telephoto use, one of the Pentax 55-300 variants (the cheapest of which, the DA-L 55-300 f4-5.8, starts around $100 used).

For shooting indoors, the natural light/electric light may be a bit limiting. There will be times when you will want to use a flash. The camera has a built-in pop-up flash, but the light it produces will be too harsh for good portraits. You would get better results by using an external flash with the ability to bounce the beam off the ceiling or walls, by separating the flash from the camera (the K-50 can control a compatible flash wirelessly) and/or by diffusing the flash beam (various ways to do this). Have a look around this site and you will find plenty of suggestions for affordable flash units that can do these things, and for affordable diffusers.

One more tip, without wanting to overwhelm you. The camera gives you the choice between taking photos in RAW format (either PEF or DNG - most people choose DNG) or in jpg or both. I'd strongly recommend shooting in both (ie RAW + jpg simultaneously). Jpg images are ready to go, but you are very limited in the edits you can make to them. RAW files are bigger, but offer great scope for editing because they preserve everything the camera captures. There are many options for software to process RAW files. If you haven't edited photos before there is a learning curve, but it's well worth it. In the meantime, if you capture images in RAW and save them, you can edit later the ones with the most potential. My biggest photographic regret is that for the first 6 years I had a DSLR, I shot in jpg only. Many of those images could have been much much better if I had the RAW files. With a baby, every image is irreplaceable.
06-11-2018, 08:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax forums.

One of my first lenses for digital was a Pentax 18-55 AL Ii. It took excellent pictures. There are also other versions by Pentax of the 18-55 that are WR (Weather Resistant) in case you are looking for that specific feature. The AL II version is not WR, but is capable of really nice images, and has a nice range.

06-11-2018, 09:24 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Do note the WR feature of the K-50 only works well with a WR or DA* lens attached! A lens with no seals allows entry via the inner focus/zoom rings and lens mount. DA versions allow you to refocus after camera does its AF, while DAL lenses need the AF/MF switch moved to MF.

For a few dollars more the WR versions are worth having in my wet region (65" annual rainfall plus ocean spray & waterfalls). Dust needs seals too, in drier climes.
06-11-2018, 09:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Newborn shots suggest a prime lens, like the DA 35/f2.4 already suggested, or a DA 50/f1.8. The reason for those is to take shots without a flash or turning on every light in the house. Those lenses let in as much as three times the light as ordinary zoom lenses, and the baby will be in a fixed location for a while so you don't need zoom flexibility
This is great advice so you don't use a flash when baby and or mother are resting. Welcome!
06-11-2018, 10:32 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by six6nine9wpk Quote
Thanks guys for the quick reply. I don't know what the hell Im looking for as far as internal damage is concerened, but the camera appears to be in mint condition. There are no scratches on the screen or scuffs on the body. Whats the best SD card and brand for aftermarket battery/chargers?

Thanx in advance
Get yourself one of these:

SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I Memory SDSDXXG-064G-GN4IN

Since the K-50 already has a small-ish internal battery, I strongly recommend going down the AA route if you're going to go aftermarket. Otherwise invest in a fresh OEM D-Li109.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-11-2018, 11:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Welcome to the merry bunch!
As Adam suggested, be on the lookout for the Aperture Control Block issue, which manifests with dark pictures, and can be temporarily remedied by shooting a burst.
There are DIY solutions, and the an official repair is quite cheap as well, so don't worry and enjoy your camera!
06-12-2018, 12:14 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Contrary to Adam's advice, don't worry about the battery, it will serve you just fine. I bought an AA holder and never did use it, had no need.

Top post from Des too, definitely shoot raw+.
06-12-2018, 01:22 AM   #13
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Contrary to Adam's advice, don't worry about the battery, it will serve you just fine. I bought an AA holder and never did use it, had no need.

Top post from Des too, definitely shoot raw+.
Thanks Kevin. Yes I'm with you about the battery. I also bought a AA adapter for my K-30s but rarely used it. A set of AA batteries weighs more than the DLi109. Just get one or two spares.
BTW I have found a USB charger for the DLi109 useful for travel - lightweight, cheap, compact.

Last edited by Des; 06-12-2018 at 01:39 PM.
06-12-2018, 02:13 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For a lens, I would look at the DA 18-135 and if you want a prime, the DA 35 and 50 are both really good deals. As Adam said, check the marketplace. I saw a copy of the 18-135 there for 225 which seems like a good price (I'm not the seller).

Welcome to the Forum!
06-12-2018, 04:04 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums and Pentax Will. The forums are the main reason I went with Pentax. I couldn’t find sites for other manufacturers that even came close to the information and help provided by the members here. The DA 18-55 WR and DA 18-135 WR would be my recommendation with the 18-135 being my number 1 choice if you can afford $200. The 18-135 range covers 90% of what I shoot.

Also some people have mentioned WR. I would just like to emphasize that WR is weather resistant not weather or water proof. With that being said I would have no issue shooting my K-3 II with a WR lens on it in light rain or snow, keeping it protected when not in use. I would not recommend shooting in a downpour.