Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-13-2018, 10:21 AM   #1

K-1 Card 2 slot malfunction

Yesterday morning I got error “card electronically locked” for slot 2 and when I removed the card it was extremely hot and the card had partially melted in the slot! I'm able to use slot 1, but there's still a bit of the label from the card stuck in slot 2 so I'm scared to mess with it. Since this happened it's also only letting me preview a few photos in camera before error message “this image cannot be displayed” happens. I've never had any problem with this camera before. I messaged support from the Pentax website right after it happened and still haven't heard from them so I thought I'd check here. Attaching photos of the slot and the damaged card (not really worried about losing the card, just want to show for the sake of clarity). The camera might still be under warranty, but should I try to remove the bit of label from the slot first and see if it was just something wrong with that card? Or is it definitely more like a short that needs to be fixed professionally or maybe even replaced under warranty?

Attached Images

06-13-2018, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery
1. This is what you get for using cheap, no-name memory cards.

2. You could try to remove carefully remaining bits from the slot with tweezers (preferably plastic or ceramic ones), after turning off your camera, obviously. I don't think you'd be able to do more damage than it's already done. I don't think it will do anything good anyway. Most probably there's some damaged electronics or maybe it's "only" some electrical connections. I don't know how Pentax warranty treats this kind of damage.
06-13-2018, 11:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ouch!
At least it looks like the bits in the slot are only paper... if the small dent on the right of the card is not a loose bit that came off.

+1 to Kerebron, use reliable cards from well-respected manufacturers.
06-13-2018, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In case you would like to speak to someone, below is the Pentax Customer Service telephone number (Mon. - Fri.).

(800) 877-0155

06-13-2018, 12:17 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by dnabs Quote
Yesterday morning I got error “card electronically locked” for slot 2 and when I removed the card it was extremely hot and the card had partially melted in the slot! I'm able to use slot 1, but there's still a bit of the label from the card stuck in slot 2 so I'm scared to mess with it. Since this happened it's also only letting me preview a few photos in camera before error message “this image cannot be displayed” happens. I've never had any problem with this camera before. I messaged support from the Pentax website right after it happened and still haven't heard from them so I thought I'd check here. Attaching photos of the slot and the damaged card (not really worried about losing the card, just want to show for the sake of clarity). The camera might still be under warranty, but should I try to remove the bit of label from the slot first and see if it was just something wrong with that card? Or is it definitely more like a short that needs to be fixed professionally or maybe even replaced under warranty?
Ouch! I would also point the blame at the card. My recommendation going forward would be to use a reputable card brand (Sandisk is a sure bet, as long as you order from an authorized dealer). Also, with a card such as yours, you'd be getting sub-optimal write speeds anyway, so it's lose-lose. More info on that can be found here: Comprehensive SD Card Guide for Photographers - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

If it turns out that a repair is needed to get the slot working again, definitely provide as much detail as possible, and send the card in together with the camera. This would probably not be covered under warranty, unless the camera is found to be the source of the malfunction.

Info on initiating a repair can be found here:
US Pentax Warranty Repair Information - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-13-2018, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I own 2 K1's. The older one was out of warranttee when it's #2 card slot failed. Mine did not get hot, I use only premium SD cards, and my SD card was not melted. My problem was that the card I place in #2 slot does not eject. This bothered me because I was in the habit of ejecting full cards from my camera and plugging the card into my desktop for uploading the images.

I didn't send my K1 in for repair because I decided to instead just change my workflow, leave the cards in their slots all the time, and download my K1 images to my desktop via a cable.

If I were in your shoes I'd:
1 remove the loose pieces of the SD card label from slot #2.
2 use only slot one in the future, and download your images using a cable rather than ejecting/inserting/repeat/repeat because that can cause a failure to your slot #1.

Overall, based upon my experience, the card slots are a weak point in the K1 (and maybe all digital cameras). To protect them, insert and remove your SD cards as few times as possible - and when you do, be careful and gentle.

P.S. I would not be so fast to put down "ProMaster" SD cards. I've got some ProMaster batteries and I just love them. I don't believe that ProMaster is second rate company.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 06-13-2018 at 01:50 PM.
06-13-2018, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
Thank you so much for your help, everybody! It seems to be working again! I removed the battery and carefully removed the stuck label with a small strip of stiff cardstock (no plastic tweezers available), put 2 Sandisk cards in, and it works! I'm definitely taking the advice about avoiding the cheap cards!

06-13-2018, 04:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I had to get mine replaced after putting cheap and nasty cards in there. I only use one brand now.
06-14-2018, 12:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Billk Quote
I had to get mine replaced after putting cheap and nasty cards in there. I only use one brand now.
...which is..?
I had no issues so far with SanDisk, and I think Samsung's are ok as well.
06-14-2018, 01:40 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dnabs Quote
I would start off with an estimate from Pentax so you know what you're dealing with. I wouldn't risk a $1800 camera over a $100 repair, but a $1500 repair would be different.