Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2018, 01:31 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
How to format a SD card?

I have a 64GB SD card with a brand name on it of "Transcend." Up to this point, it has always worked fine, but for some unknown reason, regardless of which of my four Pentax cameras ( K-50, K-30 or K-2000) I try it in, a message comes up on my LED screen that says, "Card is Locked."

It also said something about the card needing to be "formatted." So.... my question is.... what in the world is going on? What does it mean that the "Card is Locked," and how do I "format" the card?

I might also mention that when I insert it into my computer to download the images that are presently on it, I'm not able to delete the files and it tells me that it's a "Read only file."

I'm lost! Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance.

06-13-2018, 01:37 PM   #2
Resident fiddler
Loyal Site Supporter

Is there a little sliding plastic tab on one side? check the writing and position.

Edit: search google images for "sd card locked" to see what I mean.
06-13-2018, 01:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There’s a tiny switch on the side of every SD card that enables write protection if you push it towards where the contacts are. You might have accidentally enabled it. Happens to me every now and then when I take my cards out of the camera to put them in my computer.
06-13-2018, 01:39 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Assuming the small lock tab on the side of the card is not engaged, it might mean the card is not being recognized by the camera, and is starting to fail. Have you tried formatting in the computer?

Maybe some help here:

https://www.softwarehow.com/sd-memory-card-error-fix/

06-13-2018, 02:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sure enough, the little white "switch" on the side was positioned half way in between. I moved it back into position and now, all is well!

Thanks guys.
06-13-2018, 02:50 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That little tab moves quite easily on some cards- it often catches me off guard after inserting or removing a card.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-13-2018, 03:15 PM   #7
Pentaxian

If you need to format the card (after checking the write protect tab) use SD Formatter:

SD Memory Card Formatter - SD Association
06-13-2018, 04:17 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My practice, if I have several cameras, is to designate an SD card for each camera and after downloading to my computer I re-insert the SD card into the camera and format it using the camera. I do not format SD cards in the computer, only in the camera. I don't mix SD cards between different cameras. If you go through the camera's menu you will find the format SD card option. Also in the menu list is an option for the menu list to always return to the last option used, very useful. I might be overboard in this, but I have never had an SD card failure.

06-13-2018, 04:30 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
... I might be overboard in this, but I have never had an SD card failure.
Quickly, go knock on wood...... you are very lucky. Sadly, it happens to us all eventually.
06-13-2018, 05:19 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If you need to format the card (after checking the write protect tab) use SD Formatter:

What actually takes place when the card is "formatted"?
06-13-2018, 08:11 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
What actually takes place when the card is "formatted"?
Formatting does two things.

1) Formatting will free up the occupied space, so that you can reuse the space.

2) Additionally formatting also writes a FileSystem on to card. In ordered store the files/pictures FileSystem is required. FileSystem gives all the infrastructure required for storing the Files/pictures.

What is "Filesystem"?.
Roughly speaking Filesystem is analogous to book with index and chapters. Think of Index as FileNames(a1.jpg) and Chapter as image data(data belonging to a1.jpg). If you have 100 pictures on the card, there will be 100 entries in Index, and 100 Chapters. If you are shooting RAW using K1, then each Chapter will be 45mb long. This is every simplified description of filesystem.
06-18-2018, 08:50 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote

I was able to us this software in the past for a card that refused to work correctly after formatting using any other tools I tried, and have had no trouble with the card since.