QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
My mistake.
what mistake

you just had a learning experience that is all

we all have those, don't we

06-16-2018, 04:51 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think the technical definition of macro is 1:1 but its used liberally for less than 1:1. Nikkor lens of 1:2 are called micro.
06-16-2018, 04:54 AM   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
depends, as does a lot of things, on your source

" What Is Macro Photography?

Macro photography is close-up photography of small subjects, including things like bugs and flowers. You can take macro pictures in a studio or outdoor environment so long as you are magnifying your subject sufficiently.

Officially, you may hear that macro photography only happens when you take pictures of small subjects with a magnification of “life size” or greater. I will cover more about the meaning of magnification and life-size in a moment, but essentially it means that you must take pictures where your subject is the same size as your camera sensor or smaller, and it fills the frame. (So, if your camera sensor is one inch wide, you would be photographing something 1 inch or smaller.)

That is a very strict definition, and frequently you will hear photographers call an image “macro” even when it shows a slightly larger subject. The same is true of the photos in this article, many of which do not fit this technical definition, but they are close-up photographs nevertheless. . . . "

Complete Guide to Macro Photography for Beginners

that source says once you get to 1/10th life sized, you are not doing macro

he recommends at least 1:2 ratio and if you can afford it 1:1
06-16-2018, 04:59 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
depends, as does a lot of things, on your source

" many of which do not fit this technical definition, but they are close-up photographs nevertheless. . . . "
[/url]
So we agree.

06-16-2018, 05:10 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
It will work on your K100D, I have one and seldom use it having found others that I prefer. It cost me about $25 I think.
If you are set on a zoom lens to 300mm the Pentax DA L 55-300mm can be found and is a better bet (assuming it is not damaged or has fungus) but lacks the quickshift ability that the DA (not L) has. You should be able to find a DA L for under $100.
Other budget to 300mm lenses such as the Sigma 70-300mm and the Tamron 70-300mm, both of which have a pseudo macro function can be found even cheaper. I believe I have seen the Tamron advertised brand new at $99.
Thank you so much for your help. Has really made me think before buying and now that I've found this page I will look on here going by your fellas suggestions. He was selling his Pentax camera (doesn't know the model) and the Sigma 100-300mm lens for $275 for both. I offered $75 for the lens and he said no, he wants $100 for the lens. lol I'm thinking why do people ask what would you pay if they have a price in mind .. goh !!!