Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2018, 07:32 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax-F 50mm 1.7 Front lens removal

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have a Pentax-F 50mm F1.7 that I bought that had some fungus in the rear elements. I was able to take the rear elements out and clean them with
hydrogen peroxide and get them back together. They are much better now and the lens is very usable.

the front elements have some junk around the edges so I would like to clean behind the front lens. However, I am not sure which part comes out first.
Has anyone taken the front element out of a F1.7 50mm and can they share the process?

Thanks !

06-16-2018, 07:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi there. Should be the same process as the rear with a twist. There is a plastic cover disguising the access to the retainer ring. You need to remove that first. I think you need a lens spanner to unscrew it - something like this

9pcs Camera DSLR Lens Repair Tool Rubber Set Ring filter Removal Spanner Wrench | eBay

Then use your lens wrench to take the retainer ring off and away you go.

A word of warning. This method does not apply to the FA version. The elements are sealed into a plastic casing making it impossible to clean.
06-16-2018, 07:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, but I barely remember it. I think there are screws on the sides of the lens barrel. Focus to the minimum distance and look for black painted JIS screws, either just one or three.

I remember having a photo of that and posting it but can't find it.
06-16-2018, 08:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I've not torn that one down myself, but this may be helpful.
FA50 disassembly and infinity focus adjustment - PentaxForums.com
I *believe* they share quite a bit with one another (though this is for an FA). Someone can certainly comment on any key differences of note.

06-16-2018, 08:48 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Plastic cover.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Hi there. Should be the same process as the rear with a twist. There is a plastic cover disguising the access to the retainer ring. You need to remove that first. I think you need a lens spanner to unscrew it - something like this

9pcs Camera DSLR Lens Repair Tool Rubber Set Ring filter Removal Spanner Wrench | eBay

Then use your lens wrench to take the retainer ring off and away you go.

A word of warning. This method does not apply to the FA version. The elements are sealed into a plastic casing making it impossible to clean.

Ok, I see the problem.. the plastic cover over the retainer ring is not notched and I assume it is screwed in ?
06-16-2018, 09:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dronegeek Quote
Ok, I see the problem.. the plastic cover over the retainer ring is not notched and I assume it is screwed in ?
Yes, I believe it is screwed in. However, others have pointed to the removal of three screws to remove the barrel shroud - this might give you the access to the element retainer ring much more quickly than my suggestion.

FYI, if you are going to do this kind of work into the future I recommend getting a JIS screw driver

Moody Tools - JIS Type S Driver Set, 4Pc Pollicis - 58-0405 - Phillips Head Screwdrivers - amazon.com?tag=pentaxforums-20&

the screws you see on these lenses are not phillips head - some of these screws are easily wrecked by use of a phillips head
06-16-2018, 10:02 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Yes, I believe it is screwed in. However, others have pointed to the removal of three screws to remove the barrel shroud - this might give you the access to the element retainer ring much more quickly than my suggestion.

FYI, if you are going to do this kind of work into the future I recommend getting a JIS screw driver

Moody Tools - JIS Type S Driver Set, 4Pc Pollicis - 58-0405 - Phillips Head Screwdrivers - amazon.com?tag=pentaxforums-20&

the screws you see on these lenses are not phillips head - some of these screws are easily wrecked by use of a phillips head

Thanks - I was only able to get one screw loose so I will try the screw driver set you recommended.