Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2018, 09:52 AM   #61

Send it off, have everything fixed, and you're likely still out far less than the price of a replacement. Just had the aperture block repaired by the shop in California, and they did an excellent job with good turnaround time. Cost me $120. Might call or email them to see if they will clean the mechanism while they have it (might be outside their capabilities, not sure). Or send the thing off and get it repaired and cleaned for $200.

Alternately, if you're really going to junk it, I might be interested since my son is stealing my newly fixed K30 body.

06-21-2018, 01:10 PM   #62
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
I wonder "(How much @#$%& oil did they put into these things?")
That is my question as well. Are you finding oil on any other surfaces? For example, is there evidence of fouling on the shutter blades, frame edges, mirror box, mirror surface, etc.? The shutter itself is unlikely. It has been my understanding that the mechanism is designed to run "dry"* and that the same is true for the mirror. The closest source of grease or oil would probably be the AF drive.

Steve

* The better description might be "essentially dry" and only with non-migrating lubricant and then only on the drive arm pivot points, if present. Supporting gear drives (if present) are generally isolated from the shutter itself and the sensor/film.

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-21-2018 at 02:45 PM.
06-21-2018, 01:41 PM   #63

If the oily shutters are prone on the K-50 I think we would have heard long and loudly about it on PF some time ago. Look at all posts on the creaking hand grip of the K-1 and the lens release button falling out on the K-5. Not to mention the aperture problems with the K-30/50.

Why would someone put oil in their own camera? To fix a problem I suppose. Once possible fix for the aperture problem that has been tossed around (and out) is to lubricate the solenoid that seems to be the central component in the problem.
06-21-2018, 02:27 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If the oily shutters are prone on the K-50 I think we would have heard long and loudly about it on PF some time ago. Look at all posts on the creaking hand grip of the K-1 and the lens release button falling out on the K-5. Not to mention the aperture problems with the K-30/50.

Why would someone put oil in their own camera? To fix a problem I suppose. Once possible fix for the aperture problem that has been tossed around (and out) is to lubricate the solenoid that seems to be the central component in the problem.
The DIY lubrication I read about is graphite, not oil!
If your supposition is correct, the guy that did this (previous owner?) must be bonkers!

Besides, I find it difficult to imagine oil from the solenoid (outside the "sterile area", so to speak, i.e. lens/mirror/shutter/sensor etc.) to land on the sensor... there's no passage, no communication.

06-21-2018, 04:05 PM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Okay, it could be that Gabe at Advanced Camera is incorrect. What I will do is to post a couple of photos here and you all will be able to see the smear and therefore make a determination as to what it is. I will also send a photo to Gabe.

Thanks,

Tony

---------- Post added 06-21-18 at 04:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote

Well I have to admit I do take exception to any derogatory comments and implications toward the seller. The seller and I were both born and raised in the same city so we had numerous conversations going down memory lane. In addition, the seller went miles out the way to make sure that I received the item on Christmas Eve (which cost extra.)

Thanks,

Tony

---------- Post added 06-21-18 at 04:18 PM ----------

Pentax k-50 body with Pentax SMC 18~55 kit lens. Thanks for viewing.

tt

---------- Post added 06-21-18 at 04:23 PM ----------

Pentax k-50 body with Pentax SMC 18~55mm Al kit lens. Thanks for viewing. These photos were taken after I thoroughly cleaned the sensor, lens, etc.,etc.,

TT

Last edited by Tonytee; 06-21-2018 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Additional Information.
06-21-2018, 04:37 PM   #66
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Okay, it could be that Gabe at Advanced Camera is incorrect. What I will do is to post a couple of photos here and you all will be able to see the smear and therefore make a determination as to what it is. I will also send a photo to Gabe.
Yes, a photo of the contamination would be helpful. With any luck, someone might see and say, "oh yes...I know about that". I did a fairly exhaustive search regarding oil contamination with Pentax and Google was no help. There have been a few questions on this site regarding possible oil, but I seem to remember that those were traceable to pollen. I did find a thread from 2014 that has photos showing apparent gross contamination (goobers?), but no overwhelming trend. To see the goop...

Best way to remove sensor grease/oil? - PentaxForums.com

Steve
06-21-2018, 05:25 PM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, a photo of the contamination would be helpful. With any luck, someone might see and say, "oh yes...I know about that". I did a fairly exhaustive search regarding oil contamination with Pentax and Google was no help. There have been a few questions on this site regarding possible oil, but I seem to remember that those were traceable to pollen. I did find a thread from 2014 that has photos showing apparent gross contamination (goobers?), but no overwhelming trend. To see the goop...

Best way to remove sensor grease/oil? - PentaxForums.com

Steve
Well sir, it appears as though I now have another problem. After uploading these two images, I activated the mirror up feature in order to clean the sensor, and all I can see is the shutter curtains. What happened to the sensor? Stuck to the underside of the mirror? Unbelievable. I decided to take a few shots and see what happens. The first shot was darkened, but the subsequent shots turned out very well.

tt

---------- Post added 06-21-18 at 06:02 PM ----------

Now I have to admit a certain degree of embarrassment. I thought I would clean the sensor again, only this time rather than use the materials I purchased on Amazon, I used my eyeglass cleaner solution, and voila' no more streaks. I have taken several shots, uploaded and everything looks pretty clean. I then took four more shots to see if perhaps it may be only a temporary fix and again, no streaks. I will not reveal the name of the company that sold the material, as I do not want anyone coming after me, seeking legal remedy. I will just stick with the eyeglass solution and see how it goes. Just proves this section of the forum to be invaluable. Many thanks again to everyone. Just saved me a boatload of money. I will contact Gabe at Advanced Camera once I am 100% convinced the problem is solved.

Regards,

Tony

Last edited by Tonytee; 06-21-2018 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Additional Information.
06-21-2018, 06:38 PM   #68

Glad to hear it worked out. Sounds like somehow or another you got a little grease on the sensor and now you have it off. It could also be on the back of the mirror, so be aware you may need to clean both, since the mirror moving may sling it on the sensor. (It had to get there somehow....)
06-21-2018, 07:21 PM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dubyam Quote
Glad to hear it worked out. Sounds like somehow or another you got a little grease on the sensor and now you have it off. It could also be on the back of the mirror, so be aware you may need to clean both, since the mirror moving may sling it on the sensor. (It had to get there somehow....)
Wouldn't there be some amount of grease or oil on the swab? The swab I used is clean as a whistle. I do think it was the solution I purchased from Amazon. At any rate, I appreciate your comment regarding the mirror and sensor. I will certainly look into it.

Many thanks,

TT
06-22-2018, 01:24 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Now I have to admit a certain degree of embarrassment. I thought I would clean the sensor again, only this time rather than use the materials I purchased on Amazon, I used my eyeglass cleaner solution, and voila' no more streaks. I have taken several shots, uploaded and everything looks pretty clean. I then took four more shots to see if perhaps it may be only a temporary fix and again, no streaks. I will not reveal the name of the company that sold the material, as I do not want anyone coming after me, seeking legal remedy. I will just stick with the eyeglass solution and see how it goes. Just proves this section of the forum to be invaluable. Many thanks again to everyone. Just saved me a boatload of money. I will contact Gabe at Advanced Camera once I am 100% convinced the problem is solved.

Regards,

Tony
I use glass cleaning cloths, the damp, disposable variety, rolled on a piece of card cut to the width of the APS-C sensor. Those plastic fidelity cards that look just like credit cards work wonders.
06-22-2018, 07:13 AM   #71

Wouldn't there be some amount of grease or oil on the swab? The swab I used is clean as a whistle. I do think it was the solution I purchased from Amazon. At any rate, I appreciate your comment regarding the mirror and sensor. I will certainly look into it.

Many thanks,

TT
I see what you're saying, now. Yes, I think you're on the right track with this. Just toss that other solution (and maybe warn us what not to buy...) and keep doing things the way you're doing them now. Hopefully this is the last streaking you see.