Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
06-17-2018, 03:50 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K-50 Problems.

One of the current problems with my k-50 is when the shutter is activated, it splashes oil onto to the sensor. Obviously this appears in all the photographs taken. It is not easy to clone and heal them out. I contacted Advance Camera, talked to Gabe and he informed me that both Pentax and Nikon for some reason placed an excessive amount of oil on some of their models. There is no cure for this other than having to do a complete tear down on the k-50, resulting in a charge of approximately $200.00.

2. After cleaning the sensor, I started shooting indoors and got four shots of darkness. Oh no, the dreaded aperture block issue. I started to continue shooting and fortunately, the photos began appearing. So far after numerous photographs, I am hoping the problem just went away. Keeping my fingers crossed.

3. While taking photos, the Auto-Focus motor started making a grinding noise as though it wanted to function, but could not. I then switched to Manual Focus, which worked very well. A few minutes later, I switched back to Auto-Focus and it has been working flawlessly. I then went ahead and cleaned all of the contacts on the camera as well as the lens, so let's hope this was only a temporary issue.

4. The camera has less than 5,000 shutter activations so I am hoping that the Auto-Focus motor will be fine and that there will be no more totally dark exposures. That leaves the problem with the shutter spattering oil on the sensor. That will not just go away, and like anything that relies on lubrication, what will happen when it runs out of oil? Most likely it will freeze up the shutter and at that point the camera will not be worth shooting.

Thanks very much for reading and for any helpful suggestions. Of course my immediate thought is to donate the k-50 and return to using the K100D exclusively.

Regds,

Tony

06-17-2018, 03:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I presume the camera is not under warranty?
06-17-2018, 03:59 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I presume the camera is not under warranty?
You are correct.

thnx,

tt
06-17-2018, 04:06 PM   #4

I don't know about the warranty and so, i assume the camera is not under warranty if they want to charge you, but if you feel confortable, you might try to disassemble the front part of the camera, and look around the mechanism. The solution with most common sense would be to clean the excess of oil and replace with dense grease, but of course, it's a sensitive device and it may hard to do correctly, or even you can damage the shutter box.

I've not been able to locate any of the recent DSLR service manuals from Pentax, i had to disassemble mine without it, but i done it too with a Sony Alpha that was toasted and wasn't that difficult, but i had the service manual that time. I just had to be sure to remember where the **** did the pieces go i got to assemble it completely and send to a girl who was disposed to change the mobo.

06-17-2018, 04:46 PM   #5

Lenses with aperture rings work (non-A mode), Manual Mode, green button. Relegate the body to MF lenses.

Or try contacting Ricoh US. In the past they have been willing to cover the diaphragm control repair out of warranty. They'll want the camera inspected first before making a final decision. Advance Camera is an authorized service center, but not for warranty work, so there should be no problem due to prior repairs.

Ricoh US seems to be unresponsive lately to the contact form on the US website. Possibly someone screwed up the forwarding addresses. If you don't get a response try calling the toll free number listed on the warranty card or on the warranty information page of the website. It is not listed on the contact us page.
06-17-2018, 04:48 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CapitanXeon Quote
I don't know about the warranty and so, i assume the camera is not under warranty if they want to charge you, but if you feel confortable, you might try to disassemble the front part of the camera, and look around the mechanism. The solution with most common sense would be to clean the excess of oil and replace with dense grease, but of course, it's a sensitive device and it may hard to do correctly, or even you can damage the shutter box.

I've not been able to locate any of the recent DSLR service manuals from Pentax, i had to disassemble mine without it, but i done it too with a Sony Alpha that was toasted and wasn't that difficult, but i had the service manual that time. I just had to be sure to remember where the **** did the pieces go i got to assemble it completely and send to a girl who was disposed to change the mobo.

Thanks Cap'n, you are correct the camera is out of warranty. In addition I am not the original buyer, I purchased this item from our Marketplace. At any rate I feel compelled to never buying another Pentax DSLR. With all the problems associated with just about every Pentax model, I will stick to using the K100D. I also have a Nikon D200 with over 94,000 shutter actuations and has never given me any grief whatsoever.

Again, many thanks for your response.

tt
06-17-2018, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #7

I always feel sad at the sight of a camera being abandoned. Btw, i'm not aware of that "massive failrate of pentax dslrs'" as my pentax k-m always failed because me doing nasty things to it, like water, or shorting the flash capacitor to the main board, between other things, and always getting out if it alive. I guess if you are giving it as dead, why not trying to repair it yourself?

06-17-2018, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Thanks Cap'n, you are correct the camera is out of warranty. In addition I am not the original buyer, I purchased this item from our Marketplace. At any rate I feel compelled to never buying another Pentax DSLR. With all the problems associated with just about every Pentax model, I will stick to using the K100D. I also have a Nikon D200 with over 94,000 shutter actuations and has never given me any grief whatsoever.

Again, many thanks for your response.
You are really jumping to conclusions here! I had two Canon Rebels whose shutter counts totaled under 5K - and both died of processor issues. I am quite certain there are Nikons with issues also. And Sony cameras. And Olympus Cameras. etc, etc, etc. People here like to complain and complain, so you get the wrong impression of Pentax - I am quite certain there are many here who can say "never given me any grief whatsoever" about their Pentax, but quietly happy people never get attention the way that complainers do.

Incidentally - I have a Pentax Super Program I purchased in 1983 and was my primary camera until 1995. Every once-in-a-while I pull it out of the closet and run a roll of film through it, and I can depend that it will work correctly.
06-17-2018, 05:18 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
With all the problems associated with just about every Pentax model, I will stick to using the K100D. I also have a Nikon D200 with over 94,000 shutter actuations and has never given me any grief whatsoever.
So you bought a second hand camera, experienced problems, and on that basis come to the conclusion that "just about every pentax model" has problems ?

Rubbish
06-17-2018, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
So you bought a second hand camera, experienced problems, and on that basis come to the conclusion that "just about every pentax model" has problems ?

Rubbish
How do we know that the previous owner didn't squirt a bunch of oil around the shutter mechanism??? Of course, he looked so honest!??
06-17-2018, 05:58 PM - 2 Likes   #11
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

jumper... we got a jumper here...
06-17-2018, 06:03 PM - 5 Likes   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
jumper... we got a jumper here...

(don't yell at me xDD)
06-17-2018, 06:15 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tony;

I came to this forum about a year ago and you were using the K50 then.
I do not understand that all of a sudden you have oil spattering on your sensor, dark exposures and focus motor grinding all of a sudden.
Anything is possible I guess but that is some bad luck you have there

Clarence
06-17-2018, 06:35 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. Haven't heard of the oil spatter problem although it was an issue with Nikon back in the day. It seems sort of inevitable that you'll have to clear the excess oil. If it malfunctions after that, try it with m42 lenses. Maybe not what you planned, but you might enjoy the adventure.
06-17-2018, 07:10 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
How do we know that the previous owner didn't squirt a bunch of oil around the shutter mechanism??? Of course, he looked so honest!??
The camera had only 431 shutter actuations when I purchased it. Let's be realistic, why would anyone squirt oil in and around his own equipment? As I stated earlier, a sales/service center that I trust, told me that Pentax and Nikon both placed an excessive amount of oil in some of their models. Not all of them. I really do not wish to get into and inflammatory exchange by battling emails. Okay, with this camera, I am experiencing, oil spatter issues, potential for Auto-Focus to completely fail prematurely and now blacked out photographs. This was my favorite camera and now with only 5,000 or more actuations, I have to toss it or donate it. It was a wonderful piece of photograph apparatus and is not easy to let it go. Took wonderful photos.

Thanks for your input.

tt