Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2018, 09:21 PM   #1

Camera lens wobbles at the end. Screws missing?

Hi guys so i bought a basically perfect pentax ME Super and the lens was fine and all

But i set it down and came back to it limp and actually sort of wobbly.
I have a video of it

Heres a video:

Any info would be appreciated (: thanks!

06-24-2018, 11:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It looks like some loose screws in the middle. If the screws were missing it would come apart. Also, I've never seen a takumar bayonet 80-205.
06-25-2018, 03:07 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
before you start to tighten the screws, you may want to review this thread

Cross-head screws - a caution: - PentaxForums.com
06-25-2018, 03:51 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
It looks like some loose screws in the middle. If the screws were missing it would come apart. Also, I've never seen a takumar bayonet 80-205.
I bought the camera and the lens with a flash from someone for $30. im not sure which screws are missing or etc

06-25-2018, 04:29 AM   #5

The lens might have been dropped at some time and parts may have sheared off. The Takumar bayonet lenses were budget lenses to begin with. It might not even be worth fixing. Zoom lenses, particularly budget ones, often use plastic cams in the zoom mechanism. These cams get brittle or wear with age and usage. Finding replacements are next to impossible except scavenging them from another lens.

Still it is worth trying a DIY fix - not much lost if you have to write the lens off to the parts bin either way.
06-25-2018, 12:48 PM   #6
UMC

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
.... Also, I've never seen a takumar bayonet 80-205.
In fact the Takumar Bayonet 80-205 is a somewhat rare thing and there is close to no information available in the internet about this lens. It seems to have hit the market some time in the (probably) early 80ies. As opposed to all the other Takumar bayonet and Takumar-A and Takumar-F lenses that were clearly made by Asahi Optical, the Takumar 80-205 looks very much like the early Korean lenses that usually are said to be made by Samyang. I really wonder if someone licensed the name Takumar or if Asahi Optical themselves made a low-budget attempt for super cheap kit lenses by re-badging Korean crap.

In any case, this lens is worth close to nothing, so it would indeed be good for a DIY repair attempt.
06-25-2018, 01:16 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UMC Quote
In fact the Takumar Bayonet 80-205 is a somewhat rare thing and there is close to no information available in the internet about this lens. It seems to have hit the market some time in the (probably) early 80ies. As opposed to all the other Takumar bayonet and Takumar-A and Takumar-F lenses that were clearly made by Asahi Optical, the Takumar 80-205 looks very much like the early Korean lenses that usually are said to be made by Samyang. I really wonder if someone licensed the name Takumar or if Asahi Optical themselves made a low-budget attempt for super cheap kit lenses by re-badging Korean crap.

In any case, this lens is worth close to nothing, so it would indeed be good for a DIY repair attempt.
I'm new to lenses so how would i possibly take this apart? screws on the back? Whats a good (but cheap) lens I could get? This is kind of a new hobby right now and i dont want to spend too much

06-25-2018, 01:44 PM   #8
UMC

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JeanBaezSLR Quote
I'm new to lenses so how would i possibly take this apart? screws on the back? Whats a good (but cheap) lens I could get? This is kind of a new hobby right now and i dont want to spend too much
I know this lens only from very few pictures that I have seen in Ebay auctions, so I cannot assist with tips for disassembly. Zoom lenses in general are not the best thing to start with, as they have a fairly complex mechanical setup inside.

However, if you want a good and cheap lens for the ME Super I would take a smc Pentax-M 2.0 50mm and probably a smc Pentax-M 1:4.5 80-200mm. With a little patience you should be able to acquire each of these lenses for less than 50 US$.
06-25-2018, 03:49 PM   #9
Pentaxian

The mount screws don't usually get you very far. Possibly you will be able to remove the aperture ring after removing the mount. Typically all the useful screws are hidden. Under the rubber grip of the focus or zoom ring is my first guess. The ring around the front element might come off and expose more screws, but that looks pretty close to the front element so be careful of scratching. Old-school name rings like that are aluminum and unscrew via the filter threads with a tool that grips on to them with a rubber ring. Newer ones are plastic. Recent Pentax lenses have a glued on label of thin metal or plastic. A handful of lenses have the front barrel unscrew. Look at the screws carefully to see if they are JIS which might require special JIS screwdrivers, or ordinary Phillips.
06-25-2018, 05:47 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UMC Quote
I know this lens only from very few pictures that I have seen in Ebay auctions, so I cannot assist with tips for disassembly. Zoom lenses in general are not the best thing to start with, as they have a fairly complex mechanical setup inside.

However, if you want a good and cheap lens for the ME Super I would take a smc Pentax-M 2.0 50mm and probably a smc Pentax-M 1:4.5 80-200mm. With a little patience you should be able to acquire each of these lenses for less than 50 US$.
AH yup i have a 50mm that came with my MG. But ill definitely try to find a 200mm!
06-26-2018, 07:27 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
. . . Look at the screws carefully to see if they are JIS which might require special JIS screwdrivers, or ordinary Phillips.
" Commonly found in Japanese equipment. JIS looks much like a Phillips screw (and even more similar to Frearson), but is designed not to cam out and will, therefore, be damaged by a Phillips screwdriver if it is too tight. Heads are usually identifiable by a single raised dot to one side of the cross slot. JIS B 1012:1985 screw standard is throughout the Asia market and Japanese imports. The driver has a 57 degree point with a flat tip, parallel wings. "

When a Phillips Is Not a Phillips!

" The JIS screws are usually but not always identified by an upraised or recessed dot on the head . . . "

JIS Screwdrivers - webBikeWorld