Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-25-2018, 05:14 AM   #1

Anamorphic Lens for Pentax?

i need a guide about anamorphic lens. anyone.

06-25-2018, 06:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is a guide here I found in the first result on google.
06-25-2018, 08:07 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

To the best of my knowledge, there are no native anamorphic lenses to K or M42 mounts* that I am aware of, though front-mount auxiliary anamorphic converter lenses are probably available. As always Google is our friend as is the Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anamorphic_format

Out of curiosity, what use are you considering for such a lens?

Steve

* Or other mounts used by Asahi/Pentax cameras current or historic

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-25-2018 at 08:13 AM.
06-26-2018, 04:01 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

To the best of my knowledge, there are no native anamorphic lenses to K or M42 mounts* that I am aware of, though front-mount auxiliary anamorphic converter lenses are probably available. As always Google is our friend as is the Wikipedia.

Anamorphic format - Wikipedia

Out of curiosity, what use are you considering for such a lens?

Steve

* Or other mounts used by Asahi/Pentax cameras current or historic
i know, but is there any pentax users tried an anamorphic lens stacked with pentax lens?
because i don't know how to buy right anamorph mount and anamorph lens for my camera

06-26-2018, 04:17 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Are you referring to something like this?
SLR Magic Anamorphot-50 1.33x Anamorphic Adapter SLRA50-1.33X
06-27-2018, 12:42 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Are you referring to something like this?
SLR Magic Anamorphot-50 1.33x Anamorphic Adapter SLRA50-1.33X
yeah that's what i looking for, thanks
06-27-2018, 02:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Not a cheap lens, better results by cropping a normal lens are likely, since you have to correct the distortion afterward anyway.
It was used in the cine industry for widescreen coupled with compensating projector lenses.

06-27-2018, 02:52 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by svnn Quote
yeah that's what i looking for, thanks
I'm interested to know why? Please do share!
06-28-2018, 11:28 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm interested to know why? Please do share!
Me too...

Steve
06-29-2018, 06:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am also interested
06-29-2018, 11:11 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentasonic49 Quote
Not a cheap lens, better results by cropping a normal lens are likely, since you have to correct the distortion afterward anyway.
It was used in the cine industry for widescreen coupled with compensating projector lenses.
i know right, because i'm working on cine industry i love it because it has rich of depth of field and details, also lessnoise in low light...

if you want to know what anamorphic lens is a lens for film production international standar (CMIIW)

you guys could check this guide like victormeldew said :
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
There is a guide here I found in the first result on google.
i'm still about going to buy and start making a film using an anamorph with my pentax

Last edited by svnn; 06-29-2018 at 11:18 PM.
06-30-2018, 06:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Sounds like very hard work, unless you have a software solution to processing the results automatically, as 1/2 an hour at 25fps would be 45000 separate images to cope with.
06-30-2018, 06:22 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by svnn Quote
i know right, because i'm working on cine industry i love it because it has rich of depth of field and details, also lessnoise in low light...

if you want to know what anamorphic lens is a lens for film production international standar (CMIIW)

you guys could check this guide like victormeldew said :

i'm still about going to buy and start making a film using an anamorph with my pentax
I struggle to see the point of it - unless you're shooting film and viewing film. Can you explain to me what I'm missing?
06-30-2018, 08:36 PM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I struggle to see the point of it - unless you're shooting film and viewing film. Can you explain to me what I'm missing?
What Mark said ^ ^ ^

The linked article points out that the original use is for taking and projecting wide screen cinema on standard width 35mm film (~18x24mm half frame in vertical orientation). It goes on to explain uses for digital capture, though don't know that all of the OP's expectations ("rich of depth of field and details, also lessnoise in low light") are reasonable. Use of an anamorphic lens on a Pentax dSLR will result in distortion of the image circle such that edge quality is compromised with no additional pixel participation. For example, since 1.78:1 is the only aspect ratio supported on Pentax dSLR and then only to 1920×1080 within the 1.5:1 ratio sensor, using an anamorphic lens may require cropping in post to remove degraded margins (less actual capture data) with either optical (projection) or digital (on-screen) correction needed to make standard output aspect. Less in ==> less out.

It might be worth doing on a more flexible video camera, but might not be worth the effort with Pentax dSLRs. Perhaps @LaurenOE will drop in. She is a working pro and might have some advice.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-30-2018 at 08:49 PM.
06-30-2018, 08:47 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It probably applies to video more than it would to still photography since the image is compressed horizontally when it's stored and needs to be stretched when it's reproduced. As said, for prints, cropping would be a better solution, but when an image is projected (as with video), a reverse anamorph is used (can be the same one) to restore the widescreen rendition of the original shot using a base 16:9 frame (which is standardized). All of the resolution of the HD or UHD frame can be utilized instead of resorting to letterboxing which under utilizes all the available lines in the frame. The downside is potential lowered resolution due to imperfections in the anamorphic lens plus chromatic aberrations present in that lens, and some light falloff due to the increased spread of the image.