Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
06-25-2018, 11:20 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find with my kids, if I give them a DSLR, they get overwhelmed by all the options. They're so used to the convenience of their phones. For my son who's 16, I got him a used Panasonic Lumix something or other that was about a year old. He likes it a lot, for him much better than the phone. For my daughter who's 18, she's all about the phone. So I got her one of those inexpensive clip on lens kits for phones from Amazon for about $20. I had very low expectations but I have to admit, used properly, it takes some pretty impressive pictures. Much better than I'd of ever thought. Lots of limitations but the images are pretty good for the web. Hopefully one day they'll get bored with their current setups and want to learn more. As it is for now, I'm just happy they're even semi interested in photography.

06-26-2018, 01:12 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I would suggest a k-x or k-r based kit. These are very light, use AA batteries, and easy to use. ALso it is easy to find these for 150 EUR all included.
06-26-2018, 01:39 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
I find with my kids, if I give them a DSLR, they get overwhelmed by all the options. They're so used to the convenience of their phones. For my son who's 16, I got him a used Panasonic Lumix something or other that was about a year old. He likes it a lot, for him much better than the phone. For my daughter who's 18, she's all about the phone. So I got her one of those inexpensive clip on lens kits for phones from Amazon for about $20. I had very low expectations but I have to admit, used properly, it takes some pretty impressive pictures. Much better than I'd of ever thought. Lots of limitations but the images are pretty good for the web. Hopefully one day they'll get bored with their current setups and want to learn more. As it is for now, I'm just happy they're even semi interested in photography.
We've all (?) started with something simple, and worked our way up.
My first camera was a rangefinder with a fixed lens. It was already the era of AF, but my parent's haven't felt the need to upgrade so they were still shooting with their KX and KM.

I went on a school trip abroad (I was like 12) with that piece of junk - can't even remember the make nor the model - and was mad at the fact that I couldn't zoom. In particular, that I couldn't photograph some pheasants we run into.
One of the teachers of the hosting school had a reflex with AF and a zoom lens, and was kind enough to send me a picture of said pheasant after I got back to Italy. I still have it.
The think that impressed me the most was the petal-shaped lens hood

So, yeah, sorry for the excursus, but I think it kinda proves your point.
Strong feeling that the equipment is the limiting factor once you've outgrown it. If you don't feel that, either you can still experiment or you're lazy/not much interested - which is fine as well. We can't all love photograph
06-26-2018, 02:46 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i will recommend the Olympus bridge camera SP-100 EE, no raw but has a viewfinder, a 24-1200mm + digizoom.

They are cheap,light and can be operated like a DSLR and look like Dads Pentax!

For wildlife having the EE red dot electronic eye helps for the far away shots.

---------- Post added 06-26-18 at 08:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LittleSkink Quote
mostly I want to make photography fun with minimal disspointments for her,

06-26-2018, 03:12 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For lowest budget, the K-r fixed the few shortcomings the K-x had. A very nice, very good-performing little camera. I agree with a short kit zoom lens, a DA 50mm f/1.8 for low light use, and the DA 55-300mm.
06-26-2018, 10:18 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
i will recommend the Olympus bridge camera SP-100 EE, no raw but has a viewfinder, a 24-1200mm + digizoom.
Funny you mention this camera. A couple of weeks ago I ran into the guy who used to run the local camera store in town. You know, the one where everyone got their senior portrait done, and he sold every SLR under the sun back then. If you wanted a camera, he was the guy you went to. Well, long story short, the store's been closed for at least ten years, and he's dropped out of local photography circles. When I ran into him, he was shooting the Olympus SP-100EE. Swore by it. Said it was everything he needed, and that he'd never own a DSLR again. Had such positive things to say about it that I actually paid attention to the actual model he was raving about.

I think you're right, this camera would be an excellent choice for a young photographer looking to get into the field.
06-26-2018, 10:30 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
I think you're right, this camera would be an excellent choice for a young photographer looking to get into the field.
Its a neat piece of equipment and when Dad needs extra,its hanging around his daughters neck!

I paid around the equivalent of U$ 150ish...3 years ago..If i had to have only one camera,it would be the one.

Last edited by surfar; 06-26-2018 at 10:42 PM.
07-01-2018, 04:41 AM - 1 Like   #23
RDP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm going to add a +1 to the idea of a bridge camera. Wide angle to crazy long telephoto, plus macro in one easy package. I started with a Panasonic FZ-8, and then upgraded to the FZ-150 prior to making the switch to Pentax. Not having to worry about changing lenses, and the large DOF from the small sensor really allowed me to get the wildlife photos I wanted, rather than worry about the technical side of camera operation. Superzooms now are even more capable than my 150 (which I still occasionally use), and there are some that are even weather resistant, which would be a plus for a wildlife-interested youth.

-Robin
07-02-2018, 07:45 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a 13-year-old nephew who was interested in photography and a year ago I found him a nearly free *istDS from a forum member, along with (IIRC) a very cheap 35-70mm lens. He's really taken to it and I see him taking pictures at a lot of family events. I think he's even won some awards in school or similar competitions. He's a very big kid, much taller than me at 13, so the DSLR isn't much of a burden.

My 11-year-old son saw his cousin's camera and asked for something similar for Christmas. I found him another cheap *istDS and an 18-55mm kit lens. He mainly uses it in green/auto mode, but he's taken some good shots. He brought it with us to Iceland a few weeks ago. We haven't sorted through all of his shots yet, but I think he got some good ones. He actually used my K-30 that I'd brought as a backup body as much or more than the *istDS because it's weather sealed and it rains a lot in Iceland. Benefit of the Pentax DSLR is he can share lenses with Dad, and my nephew can share lenses with my sister and her K-50.

The attached picture is of my son taking some wildlife photos of seals with the K-30 on the Snæfellsnes peninsula, along with my 9-year-old and his knockoff GoPro.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
07-02-2018, 08:12 AM   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
. . . The attached picture is of my son taking some wildlife photos of seals with the K-30 on the Snæfellsnes peninsula, along with my 9-year-old and his knockoff GoPro.
looks like he was using the hood correctly

plus one for him
07-02-2018, 08:36 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-r or K-500 (or maybe find an old K200D?) with the DA 55-300 is a fairly light but optically excellent combination that might suit her. Add a DA 50mm f/1.8 and you've got a great lightweight package for pretty much everything.
07-02-2018, 08:49 AM   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm going to suggest that you focus on getting something that she will have no problem using

weight, complexity

and let her use your DSLR from time to time

if she has fun with " her " camera

and you teach her " the basics " with your DSLR, she may develop an interest in progressing in the future

the key is getting her interested in taking photos and then " teasing " her

" see how my camera is different and better "
07-02-2018, 09:20 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
looks like he was using the hood correctly

plus one for him
You think I'd let him look like a rank amateur!?
07-02-2018, 09:26 AM   #29
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
You think I'd let him look like a rank amateur!?
how was I to know that you use the lens hood properly

or so you claim
07-02-2018, 10:45 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The thing to teach is about the advantages- the things one can do with a full-featured DSLR that one cannot do when shooting with a phone, which are many. Now, there are some phones that can do some neat tricks, like stitching together several shots to make one pano, with hand-held shooting. But phones definitely have limitations.