Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2018, 11:26 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
*snip*

the key is getting her interested in taking photos and then " teasing " her

" see how my camera is different and better "
...and here the evil seed of LBA is planted...

07-04-2018, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #32
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
...and here the evil seed of LBA is planted...
Moi ????

[ if some one else has bought it I cannot be tempted ]
07-19-2018, 02:00 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the suggestions, its been interesting exploring things

We did look at some Pentax's but ended up with a used Fuji X-S1 (a slightly larger than average sensor size bridge camera that was 600 5 years ago). Got it from a local dealer for just over 100 - it was missing lens hood, Silkypix disk and had a scratch on the rear screen . . .

She thought the 600mm was "awesome". It seems pretty solidly built, so should survive rough handling and it fits small hands quite well. SD card door creaks though

The macro mode is not as great as she had hoped - i.e. it takes some skill and patience but takes decent pics straight out of the camera and lets you shoot electronic viewfinder or live view seamlessly. Well impressed with the bokeh, the lens runs from f2.8 at the wide end but holds f4 for much of its range. RAW doesnt seem much (any?) better than JPEG so leaving it alone for now. Image noise is not lovely but its a 5 year old compact and I am sure I can learn some PP if it becomes an issue

Not usually a fan of gadgets and whimsical features but quite like it myself, even the film modes - I have been swapping between Velvia and Provia all evening . . . takes me back

Last edited by LittleSkink; 07-20-2018 at 01:02 AM.
07-19-2018, 02:23 PM   #34

Photos: Gallery
Excellent decision!

07-20-2018, 06:05 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is tricky, if you think it's a hobby the kid will stay interested in the gear will be easier to carry in a year or two. In other words, she'll grow into it. The key may be to get a light zoom to save weight. Price is going to be tough, but a Kx or Kr should be inexpensive. Kit lenses will do for now.

A K5 would be a fantastic camera which will serve for years. I keep thinking I'll sell mine, but it's too useful as a second body and they're built like tanks. Mine has literally fallen and been thrown, trashing lenses but the camera is still a precision bit of kit. It will show lens faults, though, which you'll need to watch for. The K5's sensor allows amazing manipulation if you shoot RAW.

18-55 and 55-300 pair on an older body is a perfect starter kit. You don't need the newest versions of these lenses.
Image editing software is also going to be a consideration, as is data storage.

Budget will be a primary concern, and people have already discussed your potions. Used is perfectly fine. Girls are often (not always) a bit more conscientious about their property. An 11-yr old boy I might just suggest a Shock and Waterproof compact camera...