Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2018, 04:09 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krre23 Quote
Hello Beth

Hmm seems like a problem better solved by a technician, did you send the camera to repair?

Good luck!
Next week! I'm anxious to see if it helps!

---------- Post added 07-01-2018 at 07:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Send it in and have the shop check to ensure the focus point indicator in the viewfinder corresponds to the actual focus point. If there is even a slight misalignment it can cause your AF to be all over the map. This presumes you have checked the simple stuff like grot on the AF sensor.
Thanks for that suggestion. I am taking it in next week to have the sensor cleaned. Going to start there. I will mention checking the focus points as well. Hoping the sensor cleaning does it!!

07-01-2018, 07:53 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BethC Quote
Next week! I'm anxious to see if it helps!

---------- Post added 07-01-2018 at 07:11 AM ----------

Thanks for that suggestion. I am taking it in next week to have the sensor cleaned. Going to start there. I will mention checking the focus points as well. Hoping the sensor cleaning does it!!
The AF sensor is easier to clean than the imaging sensor. The AF sensor sits at the front of the mirror box right behind the lens mount.
With the mirror up you can easily run a Q-Tip over it and wipe it.
07-01-2018, 03:51 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I get inconsistent results. I dont' trust it to be my #1 so I treat it as a back up to my K5 which is crazy!
Beth, I know another Pentax shooter who went from K-5 to K-3. I seem to recall that he, at first, found it a challenge for the very reason you describe. While he did too, at first, consider that there may be something wrong with the camera, he figured out that the issue was that the K-3 with it's 24Mp sensor was much less forgiving as to less than perfectly focused photos than his K-5. Once he took the time to use Live-View more often to compose his shots and make sure that he nailed the focus, he found the K-3 was the better camera.

I suppose that what I'm suggesting is: (Prior to going to expense) Do some test shots with various lenses, taking care to focus carefully, on tripod or whatever, and post your results please.
07-01-2018, 05:27 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Beth, I know another Pentax shooter who went from K-5 to K-3. I seem to recall that he, at first, found it a challenge for the very reason you describe. While he did too, at first, consider that there may be something wrong with the camera, he figured out that the issue was that the K-3 with it's 24Mp sensor was much less forgiving as to less than perfectly focused photos than his K-5. Once he took the time to use Live-View more often to compose his shots and make sure that he nailed the focus, he found the K-3 was the better camera.

I suppose that what I'm suggesting is: (Prior to going to expense) Do some test shots with various lenses, taking care to focus carefully, on tripod or whatever, and post your results please.
I actually read this article a while ago. Took me a while to go back and find the article. Clearing up the myth of higher resolution, shot discipline and image quality once and for all ? Ming Thein | Photographer I need to practice using Live View more. I feel like, since I'm not used to it, it slows me down a lot. Thanks for the suggestion. I think I am still going to take both of my cameras in for a cleaning. It's never been done and for all I am on the football field and outside shooting, it's probably time they were both cleaned. However, will read over this article again and take it into consideration. Along with trying out live view again.

I obviously need to read the article again. But can someone explain to me... or maybe this is wrong... why does the camera not back focus in live view? (again, I may be wrong in that thinking... I'm not even sure where I even heard that)

Last edited by BethC; 07-01-2018 at 05:41 PM.
07-01-2018, 06:20 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I actually read this article a while ago. Took me a while to go back and find the article. Clearing up the myth of higher resolution, shot discipline and image quality once and for all ? Ming Thein | Photographer I need to practice using Live View more. I feel like, since I'm not used to it, it slows me down a lot. Thanks for the suggestion. I think I am still going to take both of my cameras in for a cleaning. It's never been done and for all I am on the football field and outside shooting, it's probably time they were both cleaned. However, will read over this article again and take it into consideration. Along with trying out live view again.

I obviously need to read the article again. But can someone explain to me... or maybe this is wrong... why does the camera not back focus in live view? (again, I may be wrong in that thinking... I'm not even sure where I even heard that)
Please do let us know if there's any improvement. Feel free to post photos!
07-01-2018, 06:31 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay, so it's time like this where I feel like I must be crazy. I took the camera out and shot specific (boring) items in my yard, that had something either in the foreground or background that was well lit and had some contrast, so tried to give the camera every opportunity to back focus or front focus. It performed fine. I must be crazy. Some examples....

---------- Post added 07-01-2018 at 09:33 PM ----------

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
07-01-2018, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
one more...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
07-01-2018, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Okay, so it's time like this where I feel like I must be crazy. I took the camera out and shot specific (boring) items in my yard, that had something either in the foreground or background that was well lit and had some contrast, so tried to give the camera every opportunity to back focus or front focus. It performed fine. I must be crazy. Some examples....

---------- Post added 07-01-2018 at 09:33 PM ----------

hmm they look fine to me too, haha!

It's a miracle?
07-01-2018, 09:07 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What did I tell you?
07-02-2018, 09:30 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krre23 Quote
hmm they look fine to me too, haha!

It's a miracle?
I'm not crazy! I swear!! After work, I'm going to see if I can post some of the ones that are back focused. Honestly, I have plenty, it shouldn't be hard to find a couple.
07-03-2018, 04:07 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
here is one in particular. Had a lot like this on this day.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
07-03-2018, 04:38 PM   #27
Forum Member

I had great results using the dot tune method to calibrate AF on my K5iis.

One of the things I like about this method is it forces you to take multiple measurements and take the median value so it naturally smoothes the results.
It also made me more conscious about what the camera considers to be acceptable focus. It may surprise you!

Maybe you should give it a try. The great thing is you can run it as a test, just to compare with what you have currently set your AF fine adjustment to.
07-03-2018, 04:44 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjsaure Quote
I had great results using the dot tune method to calibrate AF on my K5iis.

One of the things I like about this method is it forces you to take multiple measurements and take the median value so it naturally smoothes the results.
It also made me more conscious about what the camera considers to be acceptable focus. It may surprise you!

Maybe you should give it a try. The great thing is you can run it as a test, just to compare with what you have currently set your AF fine adjustment to.
Not familiar with the dot tune method. I will look it up. Thanks for the suggestion.
07-03-2018, 05:54 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

here is one in particular. Had a lot like this on this day.
Pretty shallow depth of field at that aperture. Could that have something to do with the problem?
08-07-2018, 07:58 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Finally took my camera in for a cleaning. This is all that was included in the service the camera shop did....

"*Our Professional 7-Point Sensor Cleaning Includes.
Complete external camera and lens cleaning (One attached lens included)
Focusing screen cleaning
Mirror and mirror box cleaning
Sensor cleaning
Auto focus check
Proper exposure check

So, as I got home my goof ball son was just leaving... so as we were passing I took a few really quick shots of him to test the camera out. I uploaded the non cropped photo and then a crop of the focus area. here is the link.... I commented on the one photo that seemed to front focus (On his hand... you can see it in the crop) all others look pretty good.

K3 ii test shots | Flickr

so, this afternoon I have a High School Senior photo shoot scheduled. Do I trust it enough to use my K3 for it? Or go back to my old faithful K5?