Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2018, 09:59 PM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Medicine Hat, Alberta
Posts: 39
Help with lens selection

I recently jumped from Canon T7I to K1 mark 2. I ordered the kit lens 28 105 WR , 77 limited and Irix 15 mm which I haven't received yet. I tested the 77 the most and it's a charming lens. However, the focal lens is only usuable for portraits and I don't like the chromatic abberation. It reflects purple on anything shiny. Should I return it and get the 24 70 f2.8 instead? Or there isn't much difference between the 24 70 and the 28 to 105 in terms of IQ?
TIA

06-27-2018, 10:34 PM   #3
Junior Member




Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Medicine Hat, Alberta
Posts: 39
Original Poster
Thank you. Still, any word from people who used both lenses on field would be great
06-27-2018, 10:36 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 49,437
Sharpness-wise, the 24-70mm is a little better and the wide end, and the 28-105mm is a bit better at the long end. It's hard to beat the 77mm IMO- there are in-camera corrections for the CA, and it should also be pretty easy to fix in post if you're shooting in raw.

Of course, it depends on what you're mainly going to shoot. Could you tell us more about that?


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-27-2018, 10:44 PM   #5
Junior Member




Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Medicine Hat, Alberta
Posts: 39
Original Poster
For the time being I'm interested in landscape and night photography. However, portraits is in the near future plans.
Note: I'm planning on doing large prints with these photos
06-27-2018, 10:50 PM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,035
The 24-70 is a versatile and nice zoom range. With the K-1 II the images would most likely be excellent.
06-27-2018, 10:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2014
Location: Linz
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,091
Welcome to the forum and congratulation on your new camera, I hope you enjoy it.
I don't own any of the lenses you own or are interested in but there are good in-depth reviews and also hundrets of user reviews (the numerical ratings for those are sometimes a little off in my opinion but there is a ton of usefull information in the texts) on this site to help you deside. From what I have read there isn't a big difference IQ wise between the 24-70 and the 28-105 lens, so basically your primary win would be f-stop and 4mm on the wide end. For me that little difference wouldn't justify owning both, but that depends on your photographic needs and interests.
There are alternatives for the 77 Ltd but they are somewhat limited if you want to buy new, because in digital the Pentax FF hasn't been that long around, but if you can live with manual focus you could buy new Samyang lenses for instance or you can look for old lenses from the analog times on the used market (manual focus and AF lenses too)
06-27-2018, 10:57 PM   #8
Junior Member




Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Medicine Hat, Alberta
Posts: 39
Original Poster
I'm really enjoying the camera. I would not own any other brand. I'm slightly put off because all the reviews I read saying that the mk2 is a step back from the original K1. Nevertheless, it's still a lovely machine for my needs.
I returned a Samyang 14 mm because of sever lens distortion and average IQ in my opinion and would probably never own a Samyang lens again. Build quality kinda sucks.
Back to topic. So you say that the 1500 CAD premium for the 24 70 vs the 650 for the 28 105 doesn't give you much in return?

06-27-2018, 11:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southern California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,229
I may be the wrong one to ask, because Purple Fringing doesn’t bother me much. But you can fix it easily in Post Processing.

You might prefer a used FA*85/1.4 (which I have, as does Adam in his profile picture) or the ~85mm that is on the future roadmap. There are third-party options as well.

Personally, I think the D FA 150-450 might be the most interesting next lens for you, since it’s a well executed modern design (which seems to be your preference). In fact I t and the D FA 28-105 you have are the only two of the newer releases which really interest me, although I still favor “artistic” lenses like the FA*85 even more.
06-27-2018, 11:17 PM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2014
Location: Linz
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,091
If you need F2.8 for low light photography, portraits or something like that on a regular basis then it would give you much in return, but it depends on your photographic interests.
As a walk around lens in daylight, when using apertures from F5.6 - F11, I don't think buying the 24-70 would be justifyable, except you have the money lying around, but others might disagree on that point.

But I think it is just a matter of time till someone owning both lenses comes online and then he/she can talk from experience

Last edited by othar; 06-27-2018 at 11:28 PM.
06-27-2018, 11:19 PM   #11
Junior Member




Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Medicine Hat, Alberta
Posts: 39
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I may be the wrong one to ask, because Purple Fringing doesn’t bother me much. But you can fix it easily in Post Processing.

You might prefer a used FA*85/1.4 (which I have, as does Adam in his profile picture) or the ~85mm that is on the future roadmap. There are third-party options as well.

Personally, I think the D FA 150-450 might be the most interesting next lens for you, since it’s a well executed modern design (which seems to be your preference). In fact I t and the D FA 28-105 you have are the only two of the newer releases which really interest me, although I still favor “artistic” lenses like the FA*85 even more.
Your reply is certainly helpful thank you

---------- Post added 06-27-18 at 11:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
If you need F2.8 for low light photography, portraits or something like that on a regular basis then it would give you much in return, but it depends on your photographic interests.
As a walk around lens in daylight, when using apertures from F5.6 - F11, I don't think buying the 24-70 would be justifyable, except you have the money lying around.
I certainly don't
06-27-2018, 11:42 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 924
QuoteOriginally posted by AI8877 Quote
I recently jumped from Canon T7I to K1 mark 2. I ordered the kit lens 28 105 WR , 77 limited and Irix 15 mm which I haven't received yet. I tested the 77 the most and it's a charming lens. However, the focal lens is only usuable for portraits and I don't like the chromatic abberation. It reflects purple on anything shiny. Should I return it and get the 24 70 f2.8 instead? Or there isn't much difference between the 24 70 and the 28 to 105 in terms of IQ?
TIA
Hi, there's little point in returning the 77 as if you stay here, you'll end up with buying one later at some time

I have the 77 and the 24-70 (and the Irix - good choice). I use the 77 for many purposes, often into the sun, and to be honest I've never been bothered by its aberrations - it really, does have a nice way of rendering scenes. I don't like the 24-70 - for its size and (initial) cost, I believe it should be better at the edges. The reviews you'll read give the cheaper, lighter 28-105 and see the comparisons with the 24-70 are positive - be careful that you don't end up missing the advantage the f2.8 gives with a brighter view when focusing and composing.

I print to A1 size and sell my prints. To be honest, so far my best selling, landscape images (the K-1 s are catching up) were taken on a K3 and 50-135. I often get into conversations with visitors to my stand where the end up being surprised (shocked) that a cropped sensor, and indeed a Pentax, can produce prints to that size that look (in their minds) so good. Any of the lenses you've got or considering will be fine to potentially print large - it's all the rest that goes with it that makes the final print ...
06-28-2018, 12:02 AM   #13
Junior Member




Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Medicine Hat, Alberta
Posts: 39
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Hi, there's little point in returning the 77 as if you stay here, you'll end up with buying one later at some time

I have the 77 and the 24-70 (and the Irix - good choice). I use the 77 for many purposes, often into the sun, and to be honest I've never been bothered by its aberrations - it really, does have a nice way of rendering scenes. I don't like the 24-70 - for its size and (initial) cost, I believe it should be better at the edges. The reviews you'll read give the cheaper, lighter 28-105 and see the comparisons with the 24-70 are positive - be careful that you don't end up missing the advantage the f2.8 gives with a brighter view when focusing and composing.

I print to A1 size and sell my prints. To be honest, so far my best selling, landscape images (the K-1 s are catching up) were taken on a K3 and 50-135. I often get into conversations with visitors to my stand where the end up being surprised (shocked) that a cropped sensor, and indeed a Pentax, can produce prints to that size that look (in their minds) so good. Any of the lenses you've got or considering will be fine to potentially print large - it's all the rest that goes with it that makes the final print ...
Your comment made me change my mind about returning the 77mm and getting 24 70. I think I'll produce some quality images with the irix 15 ( although it's still shipping ) the 28 105 and the 77 limited. Guess I can use this saved funds for a good flash.
06-28-2018, 12:14 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 13,954
QuoteOriginally posted by AI8877 Quote
Your comment made me change my mind about returning the 77mm and getting 24 70. I think I'll produce some quality images with the irix 15 ( although it's still shipping ) the 28 105 and the 77 limited. Guess I can use this saved funds for a good flash.
You can invoke both purple and green around the highlights in high contrast areas with wide aperture lenses including the FA77, AI, but you can see the results are worth it. Moving the sliders in Lightroom helps.



Last edited by clackers; 06-28-2018 at 08:35 AM.
06-28-2018, 12:17 AM   #15
Junior Member




Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Medicine Hat, Alberta
Posts: 39
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You can invoke both purple and green around the highlights in high contrast areas with wide aperture lenses including the FA77, AI, but you can see the results are worth it. Moving the sliders in Lightroom help.

Was this taken by thr 77mm?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, f2.5, fa, iso, lens, pentax help, photography, post, troubleshooting, yep
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lens and gear selection help and sightseeing help for Europe trip lmd91343 General Photography 29 02-28-2018 10:55 AM
Help me choose my Pentax lens selection Mr_Canuck Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 25 04-14-2011 11:01 PM
Newbie - need help with Lens selection, specific use nboard10 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 23 03-28-2010 06:58 PM
Help with lens selection JamesD Pentax DSLR Discussion 39 10-30-2007 04:59 PM
Need lens selection help? DJR Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 09-18-2006 06:58 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:39 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top