Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2018, 08:46 AM   #1

K5ii, Autofocus and and Aperture ring not working

I'v recently had issues with the following on my K5ii, which is usally kept pristine but I wonder if maybe some salty ocean air from a trip may be causing this?
(1) Autofocus does not work at all, clearly is trying to but lens does not actually move. Happens with all AF lenses, which leads me to believe it's the camera; and,
(2) this is a new problem, I have multiple lenses with aperture rings (new and old) and my camera appears to not register when it is adjusted. So for example, it's always
stuck on f/1.4 regardless of what it's set on the camera.

Has anyone else had problems such as these/know of a solution/suggestion?

I'm concerned I may just have to bite the bullet and get a new body here pretty soon, but I adore my camera so that'd be tough haha. If it were just the autofocus, I could get around that.

pls send halp. I need my baby to work again

06-29-2018, 08:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Make sure 'Using Aperture Ring' in enabled in the custom menu.
06-29-2018, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Clean all of the contacts by buffing gently with a microfiber cloth.
06-29-2018, 09:12 AM   #4

There is no communication between the aperture ring and the camera. Use stop-down metering. If the aperture ring has an "A" setting, set it to "A" and use the eDial to set f-stop. See below articles:

How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - PentaxForums.com
Manual Metering on Pentax DSLRs with Manual and Automatic Lenses - PentaxForums.com

06-29-2018, 10:06 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
There is no communication between the aperture ring and the camera. Use stop-down metering. If the aperture ring has an "A" setting, set it to "A" and use the eDial to set f-stop. See below articles:

How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - PentaxForums.com
Manual Metering on Pentax DSLRs with Manual and Automatic Lenses - PentaxForums.com
I tried doing that, but I can't get it to even slip back into auto either. Camera is set to use aperture ring, and has for a while now...it was weird to have it suddenly stop working.
06-29-2018, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

QuoteOriginally posted by hallienothailey Quote
(1) Autofocus does not work at all, clearly is trying to but lens does not actually move. Happens with all AF lenses, which leads me to believe it's the camera; and,
As noted above, a common cause is the body not recognizing that an AF lens is mounted (dirty contacts). That does not appear to be your case because you state that the camera is trying (making noises?) to focus, but without success. Another possibility is that the AF switch on the side of the camera is not fully in the AF-S or C positions. A third is that the lens retaining pin is stuck in other than the full-up position.

(2) this is a new problem, I have multiple lenses with aperture rings (new and old) and my camera appears to not register when it is adjusted. So for example, it's always
I am unclear as to whether you mean that the camera cannot control the aperture on a lens with "A" on the aperture ring as opposed to the lens not stopping down for exposure regardless of where the aperture ring is set. Can you provide a detailed explanation of what you are doing, what you expect, and what the camera is not doing?

Steve
06-29-2018, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Check your battery, make sure it has a good charge. That's happens to mine on occasion, if I have a low battery.

06-29-2018, 10:42 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

As noted above, a common cause is the body not recognizing that an AF lens is mounted (dirty contacts). That does not appear to be your case because you state that the camera is trying (making noises?) to focus, but without success. Another possibility is that the AF switch on the side of the camera is not fully in the AF-S or C positions. A third is that the lens retaining pin is stuck in other than the full-up position.

I am unclear as to whether you mean that the camera cannot control the aperture on a lens with "A" on the aperture ring as opposed to the lens not stopping down for exposure regardless of where the aperture ring is set. Can you provide a detailed explanation of what you are doing, what you expect, and what the camera is not doing?

Steve
So historically, I have been able to adjust the f-stop using the aperture ring to whatever I would like, for example my 85mm prime lens has the adjustable aperture ring with the "A" as well. Now when I have this lens on (this holds true for others as well), regardless of what stop I adjust the ring to, even on "A" it remains at f/1.8. I have tried switching settings back to not use the aperture ring and select it through the camera and this does not seem to work either.

Basically, I expect to be able to change apertures, but I'm stuck at f/1.8 no matter what I do
06-29-2018, 10:44 AM   #9

Original Poster
So historically, I have been able to adjust the f-stop using the aperture ring to whatever I would like, for example my 85mm prime lens has the adjustable aperture ring with the "A" as well. Now when I have this lens on (this holds true for others as well), regardless of what stop I adjust the ring to, even on "A" it remains at f/1.8. I have tried switching settings back to not use the aperture ring and select it through the camera and this does not seem to work either.

Basically, I expect to be able to change apertures, but I'm stuck at f/1.8 no matter what I do
Also forgot to add to the auto focus. I'm thinking it's one of the pins...is there a way to fix this that you know of?
06-29-2018, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #10

Photos: Albums
I'v recently had issues with the following on my K5ii, which is usally kept pristine but I wonder if maybe some salty ocean air from a trip may be causing this?
Seems like some kind of dirt/moisture/salt might be causing trouble in the camera mount. The K5II body is very reliable and malfunctions are very rare. Mine had been heavily abused for 5 years and still works like new.

The way you describe the issues, I'm guessing the af drive is stuck and are locked because there is something holding it.
Also, the comunications might be the salty issue you mentioned, that got inside the eletronics in the mount, so the camera might be geting some 'short circuit' that is causing the camera to read the lens incorrectly.

You have to disassemble the mount, check it and clear inside. That is a job for some experienced hands or a technician.

I recomend to take it to a service center to look into it.

Cheers!
06-29-2018, 11:24 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm thinking it's one of the pins...is there a way to fix this that you know of?
Why do you think that? Does it look broken? Did you try:

Cleaning all of the contacts
Making sure the lens is in the 'A' position
Turn the AF/MF switch back and forth several times to make sure it is in the AF position
Make sure the AF/MF switch on the lens is in "AF" (if it has one)
06-29-2018, 11:42 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Why do you think that? Does it look broken? Did you try:

Cleaning all of the contacts
Making sure the lens is in the 'A' position
Turn the AF/MF switch back and forth several times to make sure it is in the AF position
Make sure the AF/MF switch on the lens is in "AF" (if it has one)
yup, done all that, once I got the AF to re-work again by zooming the lens out all the way while in auto focus. seemed to trigger something,whatever was keeping it from focusing. but was a temp fix, seeing as it is acting up again and now the additional problem of the aperture ring.

Nothing looks broken on the camera, and cleaning it didn't seem to help. Sending it in to get fixed will surely cost $300+ (even if it was just for a deep clean), in which case I might as well just buy a camera since that's what the k5ii goes for these days.

---------- Post added 06-29-18 at 12:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sungibr Quote
Seems like some kind of dirt/moisture/salt might be causing trouble in the camera mount. The K5II body is very reliable and malfunctions are very rare. Mine had been heavily abused for 5 years and still works like new.

The way you describe the issues, I'm guessing the af drive is stuck and are locked because there is something holding it.
Also, the comunications might be the salty issue you mentioned, that got inside the eletronics in the mount, so the camera might be geting some 'short circuit' that is causing the camera to read the lens incorrectly.

You have to disassemble the mount, check it and clear inside. That is a job for some experienced hands or a technician.

I recomend to take it to a service center to look into it.

Cheers!
Thanks! Yeah I have never had any problems with it so I bet that it has to do with electronics and dirt etc. It's a tank and has taken a beating /been through a LOT so it's a miracle honestly that I'm just now having issues! I could never have any other brand -- I'm so used to the durability of Pentax haha
06-29-2018, 12:36 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

More detail please. Assuming aperture ring is enabled (there is no good reason to have this setting turned off)...
  • What mode on camera?
  • What position on aperture ring?
  • What is displayed on the top LCD for aperture?
  • Given the above, what are you expecting to see before you attempt an exposure?
  • What are you expecting to happen when the exposure is made?
  • What actually is happening for the last two points?

Steve
06-29-2018, 12:50 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

In regards to pins. There are two pins that are critical in regards to aperture control by the body and AF. The first is the so-called "A" pin. It is the one on the body that is slightly recessed. The other is the so-called "data" pin. It is at the very last contact towards the bottom of the mount and is only present on AF lenses. If the "A" pin is not detected (aperture ring in other than "A" position or bad/dirty contact), body control of aperture is not possible. F--- will be displayed on the top LCD. In addition, AF will also not work, nor will the body even try. If the data pin is not detected, AF will not work nor will the body try.

Given that the body is "trying" to do AF, it is unlikely that the pins are to blame.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-29-2018 at 01:06 PM.
06-29-2018, 01:09 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

yup, done all that, once I got the AF to re-work again by zooming the lens out all the way while in auto focus. seemed to trigger something
Is AF compromised for this lens only or for other AF lenses too? BTW, what lens is this?

Steve