Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
07-05-2018, 02:23 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Suggestions on how to photograph flowers please.

I am unable to claim any ability or artistry in photography but I should learn!
Can someone suggest how best to take images of flowers (rather than a single flower), what aperture would be best, what to make a focal point and where etc?
Here are a couple at different apertures and I have no idea which would be preferable.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
07-05-2018, 02:43 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think you are doing very well, on a shot like this fill your frame with the subjects, the only thing I find the out of focus portions on bottom right a little in the way.
07-05-2018, 02:56 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

There is no right or wrong way to photograph flowers. I once read about a guy who used a super telephoto lens and a slow shutter speed to create a certain effect. Long exposures and a breeze meant that the flowers were a bit blurred. The shallow depth of field of the lens throws the background out of focus. I had a go at it with my Pentax A 400mm f/5.6. It has quite a short minimum focus distance and that helps. I got the desired result but the judges at the photography club were not impressed with my arty slides. Sigh...

Your pictures show that you are on the right track. Try moving in a bit closer and look out for distracting out of focus foregrounds.
07-05-2018, 03:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pictures are ok.
Main issues I see are 1. distracting OoF branches in the foreground, which are partially covering the subject and 2. flat lighting (was it overcast?)

You could try experimenting with off-camera flash, photograph flowers just after the rain or at sunrise (with dew drops on the petals), get closer/using a close focus or macro lens, try isolating the subject more by using a larger aperture or a telephoto from further away...

There are just pointers, just play and have fun until you find something that you like. Otherwise you'll be just doing what everybody else does

07-05-2018, 03:16 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Find a member of the Forum whose photos you like, check what s/he did, ask questions of them via pm

Invite them to comment in this thread
07-05-2018, 03:34 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I see you live in Hampshire.

The RHS run photography courses at RHS Wisley, (A3/M25 junction), and Kew run them at Kew and Wakehurst Place. They use professional garden photographers.

I've attended courses at all three locations and learnt a lot, (although you'd never believe it if you saw my efforts!). Could be worth a little research on your part?

Obviously location, cost, etc., need taking into account depending on your personal circumstances, but I'd urge you to give them some consideration.
07-05-2018, 03:51 AM   #7
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't undersell yourself. I think you're on the right track.

But you asked, so... I usually prefer a wide aperture, so rather f/2.8 than f/8 (but stopped down sufficiently to get at least one flower entirely in focus). If too much is in focus the whole frame becomes very busy, and you also get a better sense of depth with less in focus.

The usual "rules" goes her as elsewhere for composition and where to put the elements in focus. Usually I prefer to have the in-focus elements somewhere around the thirds (like you have here). If they are dead centre the image tends to look more static (which, of course, can be what you want at times).

To make things simple I try to think of two things whenever I take a picture:
- What in the frame do I want the viewer to see first and foremost?
- Are there unwanted elements in the frame? (And how can I exclude them?)

I, too, find the oof blob bottom right a bit distracting as it partly covers the elements that my eye is drawn to.

Aslyfox' suggestion is a good one. And when you see an image you like, try to figure out why you like it. If you find it hard, try to describe to yourself what you see - "The in-focus flowers are placed so and so in the frame, this flower is more lit, that part of the frame is in shade, that flower's stem comes into the frame from the corner, etc". At least for me it helps noticing each element and what it does for the image.

07-05-2018, 04:06 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

I like having one key flower that is located on a golden ratio point and is more clearly focused than the rest.

---------- Post added 07-05-18 at 04:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
There is no right or wrong way to photograph flowers. I once read about a guy who used a super telephoto lens and a slow shutter speed to create a certain effect. Long exposures and a breeze meant that the flowers were a bit blurred. The shallow depth of field of the lens throws the background out of focus. I had a go at it with my Pentax A 400mm f/5.6. It has quite a short minimum focus distance and that helps. I got the desired result but the judges at the photography club were not impressed with my arty slides. Sigh...

Your pictures show that you are on the right track. Try moving in a bit closer and look out for distracting out of focus foregrounds.
You were right, they were wrong.

One of my photography teachers says never to allow your work to be judged like that, because it will force you to become just like everyone else.
07-05-2018, 04:17 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Syzgyium moorei

Here are a few I photographed last November: Coolamon. K-3 and FA 77.

I hope you like them Maybe we could all post some of our flower photos here?

http://plantnet.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/NSWfl.pl?page=nswfl&lvl=sp&name=Syzygium~moorei

Last edited by beachgardener; 07-05-2018 at 04:38 AM.
07-05-2018, 04:39 AM - 1 Like   #10
smf
Pentaxian

A few ideas to supplement excellent advice from others here:
Look for unusual features such as bent pelals.
Exclude spoiled blooms unless you want to include them for some reason.
Try various angles, including from the bloom’s rear.
Experiment with creative blurs by using slow shutter speed plus camera movement. Try various movements.
Bring your own backgrounds (cards and/or prints you made and mounted on stiff backing) to eliminate clutter.
A tripod or monopod can be invaluable.
Use a remote shutter release or a timer.
Explore books on flower photography.
Also explore instructional videos on floral photography from free sources and for-pay sources.
Use a tool such a plamp to exclude unwanted stems and blooms from the area you will photograph.
Mike Moats is a close-up photographer whose work I greatly admire. In a video, he shows how to make a portable windbreak. I have not built one, but you might want to do so if breezes will significanly interfere with your photo sessions.
Best wishes, and I hope to see more of your photographs.
07-05-2018, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

The biggest thing with flower photos (indeed ALL photos) is to make sure you have interesting light. Taking photos at noon isn't going to give great results. You can use a flash to add interesting light, or wait until the light is interesting in the sky. This was near sunset, with the light filtering through the flowers:

When you do photograph in less-interesting light, it is important to have a "subject", i.e. one particular flower at one of the cardinal points in focus, with more bokeh on the others:

07-05-2018, 05:02 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you to all contributions.
I shall think about OOF foregrounds (unless it frames the flowers), spend some time thinking about what I would like to achieve, try different lenses and look at the images that forum members have posted to see what they have done to make the subject interesting.
One day I would like to have an image I can print off and hang on a wall.
07-05-2018, 05:23 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As others have stated I really find nothing with your photos. My suggestions are:
1. Try and find a focal point or main subject for you photograph.
2. Try to either isolate the main subject or use something to help lead the eye to it.
3. Try to advoid putting your main subject in the center of the image if you can.
4. Experiment with different lenses, focal lengths, and apetures.
5. We live in the digital age now. Do not be afraid to try to different techniques.
6. If you see a photograph you here in the Forums do not be afraid to ask how it was taken. Most people here have problem sharing that information.

I am by no means an expert, just a 35 year student of photography. I enjoy sharing information with others just as much as I enjoy learning from the information they share with me.
07-05-2018, 05:51 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think if it's a frame full of flowers, you have to do something visually interesting. Lighting, focal plane, an insect or something to make it non-homogenous.

Hairy Aster, tiny white flowers in a shrubby plant. The light was hitting in a plane, so I tried to get that in focus and allow the rest to support the image.

Same thing here, but I think it gives some sense of motion with the maple flowers gently waving in the breeze.
07-05-2018, 06:02 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
"... different apertures and I have no idea which would be preferable. "

Your pictures are fine.
Your lens is fine.
Just a little increase in the depth of field or just leave it as it is.