Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2018, 03:49 PM   #1

K-S1 video works, photos do not

I got out my K1 to take on vacation and found that when I try to take a still photo, whether in manual or auto settings, it won't focus and the picture, if it takes it at all, comes out very overexposed. The video function works perfectly fine. Any ideas what might be wrong with it, if it's as simple as a setting I messed up, or is there something that may have broken?

07-08-2018, 04:00 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nannyogg Quote
I got out my K1 to take on vacation and found that when I try to take a still photo, whether in manual or auto settings, it won't focus and the picture, if it takes it at all, comes out very overexposed. The video function works perfectly fine. Any ideas what might be wrong with it, if it's as simple as a setting I messed up, or is there something that may have broken?
Can you attach a sample photo with full exif? That will help us diagnose the problem.

Could be an issue with the shutter, but it's much more likely to be due to the settings.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-08-2018, 04:11 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Would be great to know what lens you have on too. If it has an aperture ring is it set on to "A"?
07-08-2018, 06:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

If you have a 2nd lens with you, try swapping lenses.

Regarding overexposure, test Manual mode. Pick a wide aperture (the lowest f number, so if the aperture isn't working it won't matter), and a shutter speed and ISO to get a proper exposure. Do you get consistent exposures? If yes, then change to a narrow aperture, adjust ISO the same number of stops to get the same exposure as before, and see what happens.

Regarding focus, is your lens screw-drive or in-lens motor? Do you hear it try to focus, or is the camera not even trying?

07-08-2018, 08:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Try a photo in P mode and make sure the small lever at the bottom left of the lens mount is switched to AUTO. Set your focus points (MENU) to a single one in the center of the field (it should show in the viewfinder when you focus). Also, once you have a single focus point, click the small button above the 4 way control to lock that mode in. If you happen to bump the 4 way otherwise, your camera can go to hyper-space (another mode you don't want), but pressing that button will lock it into focus point positioning (you can click the 4 way and the focus point will move around). No big harm if you happen to accidentally bump the 4 way other than a mis-positioned focus point.

Now try pressing the shutter half-way and your lens should focus (assuming you have an autofocus lens and the aperture ring is in the AUTO position as mentioned). The P mode should give you a fair exposure unless you have something entered into exposure compensation. To check that, press the +- button on the top right and the compensation scale should highlight on your LCD display. Make sure the marker is in the center and press the +- button again to disable EC adjustments.

Still no go, check back here with your results.
07-08-2018, 08:26 PM   #6

Original Poster
sample pictures

Here is one of the pictures it took. It doesn't sound like it's even trying to focus.

---------- Post added 07-08-18 at 08:29 PM ----------

I have the original lens on it, I haven't swapped lenses at all.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 
07-08-2018, 08:37 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ahhh its a KS-1, a bit of a difference from a K-1 ;-)

It looks like you have exposure bracketing set on. Go to drive modes and select single frame mode. I think this could explain your problem quite well as by default it will take each of the 3 frames for each button press (and only focus on first shot).

07-08-2018, 08:42 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It seems you are in "bracket mode" thus the "messed up" metering.
Change to single Frame at first.
Check your camera on the left , close to where the lens is mounted, should be a switch , make sure it is set to AF.
07-08-2018, 08:45 PM   #9

Original Poster
fixed!!

That fixed the problem!! THANK YOU!!!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Ahhh its a KS-1, a bit of a difference from a K-1 ;-)

It looks like you have exposure bracketing set on. Go to drive modes and select single frame mode. I think this could explain your problem quite well as by default it will take each of the 3 frames for each button press (and only focus on first shot).
07-08-2018, 08:59 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nannyogg Quote
That fixed the problem!! THANK YOU!!!!!
You are most welcome!