Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-09-2018, 08:52 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
vintage lens for screwmount

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

are there any 50mm Yashica prime lens for m42 screwmount ?

07-09-2018, 08:56 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yashica M42 Camera Lenses | eBay
07-10-2018, 06:32 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eddiesunset Quote
In addition to jatrax' helpful information, Google is always your friend:

yashica m42 lens - Google Search
07-10-2018, 06:57 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddiesunset Quote
Yes there are, and they are quite affordable. I picked up a trio, 28 2.8, 50 1.4 and 135 2.8, in mint condition, with a broken camera for $28. Watch eBay, they will show up quite often.

07-10-2018, 08:29 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Asking if there are Yashica M42 screw mount lenses is sort of like asking if The Pope is Catholic. For many years, Yashica was one of the major makers of M42 mount cameras and fielded a full range of screw-mount lenses, most of which were quite competent.

Steve
07-10-2018, 08:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This might you with a manual lens included.

" VIVITAR 135mm F2.8 LENS WITH DSLR ADAPTER - photo/video - by owner - electronics sale "

So many old lens ( film cameras ) that are worthy until now but I do not know how to fit this to KS2.
07-11-2018, 03:06 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Penview52 Quote
This might you with a manual lens included.

" VIVITAR 135mm F2.8 LENS WITH DSLR ADAPTER - photo/video - by owner - electronics sale "

So many old lens ( film cameras ) that are worthy until now but I do not know how to fit this to KS2.
I own this same model Vivitar 135mm and it is a competent lens. I paid $48 for mine in a shop about nine years ago. To adapt it to a KS-2 would require an M42-K mount adapter, preferably the genuine Pentax product.

Steve

07-12-2018, 05:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

M42 adapter

Hey Steve, i got an idea how to use this old vivitar lens for my KS2. Is this description fits to my KS2?

" M42 Pentax universal screw Lens to PK KR K M Bayonet Metal mount adapter Ring "
It has a pentax name engraved on ring that show this is original.

This includes the tool use to install the ring onto the lens.
What is to be careful about attaching this to the lens or installing into the camera body that i must be careful about.
Thanks.
07-12-2018, 06:16 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Pentax M42 adapter should look like the one on the left, the one on the right is a flanged adapter that will lose infinity focus but cheap ones may be less of a problem on camera.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
07-12-2018, 11:50 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This includes the tool use to install the ring onto the lens.
If it includes a tool I do not believe it is the genuine Pentax one but a cheaper knock off. AFAIK there is no tool with the real one. Can you link to that?

Many of the knock offs work just fine, some can get stuck on your camera and be very difficult to remove.

It is your call whether to get a Pentax one or a cheaper one but I've tried the knock offs and had very poor luck.

Note: The OEM one usually goes for about $30 or at least in that area.
07-12-2018, 06:41 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

t has a pentax name engraved on ring that show this is original.
They almost all say "Pentax". One of the clues that it is not the Pentax product is the removal tool. The Pentax-brand adapter removes easily using only one's fingernail. Without the green packaging (see comment above), it may be difficult to spot the genuine adapter in an ad. One can tell a clone by simply by inserting the adapter in the mount. The genuine will always fit loose until mated with a lens, the copies fit tight.

Steve
07-12-2018, 06:52 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Many of the knock offs work just fine, some can get stuck on your camera and be very difficult to remove.
Getting stuck on the camera is a very real risk and not something to be taken lightly. For some reason the non-Pentax products are not very accurate copies and lack fine details in the machining needed to allow the retention interlock to function properly. Removing a stuck adapter may involve hours of fiddling or, worst-case, use of a cutting tool.* Conventional wisdom on this site is to remove the retaining spring and screw from all cheap knock-offs. (I said cheap because the original, even used, is at least twice the price of all but the most expensive non-Pentax adapters (e.g. Kipon).

Steve

* My personal experience was to have a "Bower"-labeled adapter get stuck on one of my film bodies on first use. Five hours of fiddling and it finally came off. Once was enough for me and I have not been tempted since. It also left fine metal particles on the camera mirror.
07-13-2018, 05:34 AM   #13
Veteran Member

The task now is somewhat difficult to know which is which is the original adapter . The link below is the one i supposed is the right one.

M42 Pentax universal screw Lens to PK KR K M Bayonet Metal mount adapter Ring | eBay

Give any thought, thanks.
07-13-2018, 06:54 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The task now is somewhat difficult to know which is which is the original adapter . The link below is the one i supposed is the right one.

M42 Pentax universal screw Lens to PK KR K M Bayonet Metal mount adapter Ring | eBay

Give any thought, thanks.
As has previously been mentioned, the Pentax adapter (original own make) does not need a tool to fit or remove, just a finger nail. As the one you have linked to has engraving, maybe it is one of the better copies. There are lots of threads regarding very cheap adapters, (I had a very cheap one myself but got rid of it), taking the spring off helps to prevent a cheap adapter getting stuck on your camera but the problem I had was when fitting I could hear the sound of the metal camera mount being cut or scraped, I did not want loose filings in my K-5!

Last edited by Skodadriver; 07-13-2018 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Mistake.
07-13-2018, 06:56 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only knock off adapter I’ve never had an issue with was by Fotodiox. I do remove the spring held in place be a Phillips screw. It fits a little tighter than the genuine Pentax adapter, but the quality seems to be consistent.