Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-10-2018, 11:33 AM   #1

Pentax K-3II manual lens troubles

I have viewed all the relavant youtube videos on this camera but when I mount my Takumar A F1.45-5.6 200 zoom lens I get to the screen where the F-- blinks and I can not set it and the set focal length is greyed out. It works fine on the istD.

Strange all discussion of manual lenses is relating to other than this camera. There is no specific Betty Crocker sure fire method described online that I can find.

I am looking at newer lenses with all the electronic wizebang:
HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED WR Lens

But most of the long lenses such as the 1000mm well 500mm plus doubler lenses are manual so I do need this problem solved.

Frustrated Carl

07-10-2018, 11:39 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Carl, and welcome

This thread in our Troubleshooting forum should help:

Using Manual Lenses (M42 Screwmount, M , K) on Pentax DSLRs F-- - PentaxForums.com
07-10-2018, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also some lens mounts are insulated and do not short out the body as is needed. Try adding some foil tape to the mount or scratching off the anodized coating on the presumably black lens mount surface.

And now a thread from BigMackCam himself on the subject:

Chinon lens won't stop down on K3 - PentaxForums.com
07-10-2018, 11:55 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by cwsiv Quote
I have viewed all the relavant youtube videos on this camera but when I mount my Takumar A F1.45-5.6 200 zoom lens I get to the screen where the F-- blinks and I can not set it and the set focal length is greyed out. It works fine on the istD.

Strange all discussion of manual lenses is relating to other than this camera. There is no specific Betty Crocker sure fire method described online that I can find.

I am looking at newer lenses with all the electronic wizebang:
HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED WR Lens

But most of the long lenses such as the 1000mm well 500mm plus doubler lenses are manual so I do need this problem solved.

Frustrated Carl

That is not a manual lens. Set the aperture ring to "A", focus, then shoot in any mode you want. If you get the F-- error with the aperture ring set to A, try cleaning the contacts on the lens.

If you want the shutter to fire without confirming focus, set the AF/MF switch on the camera to MF.

For your other manual lenses, here's the guide:
How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-10-2018, 12:03 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cwsiv Quote
[B]I have viewed all the relavant youtube videos on this camera but when I mount my Takumar A F1.45-5.6 200 zoom lens I get to the screen where the F-- blinks and I can not set it and the set focal length is greyed out. It works fine on the istD.
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That is not a manual lens. Set the aperture ring to "A", focus, then shoot in any mode you want. If you get the F-- error with the aperture ring set to A, try cleaning the contacts on the lens.
Adam to be fair I am really unclear what the lens is. The name given is confusing. Assuming a small typo it could be the Takumar A f/4.5-5.6 70-210 zoom I guess.

@CWSIV what is the actual printed lens name? It appears there is a small typo in what you gave us.
07-10-2018, 12:04 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If the aperture ring is not set to "A", you must enable the aperture ring in the menu settings.
07-10-2018, 12:11 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Adam to be fair I am really unclear what the lens is. The name given is confusing. Assuming a small typo it could be the Takumar A f/4.5-5.6 70-210 zoom I guess.

@CWSIV what is the actual printed lens name? It appears there is a small typo in what you gave us.
Assuming it's this one:
Takumar-A 70-210mm F4.5-5.6 Reviews - Non-SMC Pentax Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: