Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2018, 12:04 AM   #1

Remote Control delay above 3s?

I have recently purchased a remote control for my Pentax K70, and have noticed that in the remote settings, there are only timer options. Single photo and 3 seconds. Is it possible to somehow get a 12 second exposure with the remote?

07-11-2018, 12:14 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ruckwartz Quote
I have recently purchased a remote control for my Pentax K70, and have noticed that in the remote settings, there are only timer options. Single photo and 3 seconds. Is it possible to somehow get a 12 second exposure with the remote?
I don't believe so. But you can use the wi-fi if you want to release it without having direct line of sight, or at a longer distance.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-11-2018, 12:19 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't believe so. But you can use the wi-fi if you want to release it without having direct line of sight, or at a longer distance.
so you can have it on remote setting and wifi at the same time, and use the remote with it set to 12 seconds?
07-11-2018, 12:30 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

so you can have it on remote setting and wifi at the same time, and use the remote with it set to 12 seconds?
No, currently wi-fi only supports single frame mode. But word on the street is that they're about to overhaul the app, which could mean native support for more drive modes.

Also, I believe there are custom apps that do allow you to introduce a delay simply by putting the transmission of the signal to the camera on a timer.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-11-2018, 12:33 AM   #5

Original Poster
ok, so whats the point of buying a remote for this camera if you cant get an exposure more than 3 seconds?
07-11-2018, 12:35 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

ok, so whats the point of buying a remote for this camera if you cant get an exposure more than 3 seconds?
It's still pretty convenient IMO- and for astrophotography, it's more or less essential. You can use it to open/close the shutter in bulb mode or set single B exposures up to 20 minutes.

Adam

07-11-2018, 12:41 AM   #7

Original Poster
ok thanks, that is far beyond my comprehension levels, but thanks anyway
07-11-2018, 12:58 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ruckwartz, I think you are confusing exposure with delay.

You can use the remote you bought with either Manual or Bulb modes on your K-70 to get 12 second exposures, no problem, perfect for fireworks or light painting or whatever.

07-11-2018, 01:20 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I experimented with light painting the other night, while only owning a cable release. For certain shots I needed more leeway and successfully used intervall shooting mode with start time (NR turned off and 10 exposures in a row to be on the safe side).
07-11-2018, 02:08 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Delay above 3s
a 12 second exposure
These are 2 different things. Which do you want?
07-16-2018, 12:21 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
These are 2 different things. Which do you want?
i want to be able to use the remote, for a 12 second exposure....when i activate the remote on my camera, itg wont let me select more than 3 seconds....when i select the 12 second exposure, it wont let me select the remote without either sel;ecting 3 seconds or 1 second....help
07-16-2018, 05:44 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i want to be able to use the remote, for a 12 second exposure....when i activate the remote on my camera, itg wont let me select more than 3 seconds....when i select the 12 second exposure, it wont let me select the remote without either sel;ecting 3 seconds or 1 second....help
In the drive mode menu, select "Remote Control" then pick either the single shot remote control or the single shot remote control with the "3s" beside it - this allows you to either take a photo as soon as the remote is triggered, or have the camera wait 3 seconds to start the exposure. These settings have no effect on the duration of the exposure.

Now set the mode dial to "M" ot "Tv", then set the exposure time to 12 seconds. Trigger your camera with the remote. Did it do what you wanted it to do?