Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-04-2022, 04:23 PM   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bulloughphotography Quote
Hello. The focusing motor in my Pentax 150-450 has died. Not on warranty. Do any of you know of a source for a replacement motor I can install (I’d buy the motor). Or, I’m also willing to send it in for repair if need be. Any recommendations on that? I’d prefer to buy a motor…even a good used one. Thanks
here are possible repair options:

QuoteQuote:
US
KEH.com (GA, Most current and vintage gear)
Eric Hendrickson (Vintage cameras, Current and vintage lenses)
Precision Camera (Authorized to perform warranty service, NC)
Advance Camera (Most current and vintage gear, Portland, OR)
General Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Garry's Camera Repair (IL, select film SLRs)
International Camera Repair (LA, CA)
Halcyon Cameras | Vintage Camera Restoration (Vintage film cameras, San Diego, CA)
Camera Repair Japan (Services Sigma lenses and more, Atlanta, GA)
Allied Camera (MN, manual film cameras)
Bill Rogers Camera (LV, NV, film-era cameras and lenses)
Phototronic (Topeka, KS, film and digital camera repair)
Lezot's Camera Center (VT, film SLRs / medium format)
Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - Page 11 - PentaxForums.com

I have used Phototronic.biz here in Topeka KS

and this was posted today:

QuoteQuote:
Amazon Warehouse - D FA 150-450 in 'Used - Good' condition for $1,471 USDReport Post Like zzaletel's Post
Posted By: zzaletel, 04-04-22, 14:37 (Offline)
Not massive savings relative to new ($1,899 USD), but not nothing -

amazon.com : Pentax HD D FA 150-450mm f4.5-5.6ED DC AW Super-Telephoto Lens for Pentax KAF Cameras : Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&
Amazon Warehouse - D FA 150-450 in 'Used - Good' condition for $1,471 USD - PentaxForums.com

04-04-2022, 04:36 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What an unpleasant surprise- several AF failures with this lens. Maybe a bad batch with a defective part or installation?
10-16-2022, 04:32 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
DFA 150-450 autofocus problem

Hi, I have been having trouble with my DFA 150-450 also, dropping out of autofocus into MF and back again. This initially happened on my KP body, thinking it was the KP i started using it on my K1. Unfortunately its happening still, though intermittently. I have heard that the AF module can fail so by the look of it that is what is happening, I hope it isn't too expensive to get repaired as it is probably my most used lens.
10-16-2022, 07:24 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Charlier Quote
Hi, I have been having trouble with my DFA 150-450 also, dropping out of autofocus into MF and back again. This initially happened on my KP body, thinking it was the KP i started using it on my K1. Unfortunately its happening still, though intermittently. I have heard that the AF module can fail so by the look of it that is what is happening, I hope it isn't too expensive to get repaired as it is probably my most used lens.
That does not sound good. I expect you have already tried cleaning the lens/camera contacts and exercising the controls on the lens itself ?

Does turning off the quickshift feature make any difference ?

10-16-2022, 11:42 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Craig Carson Quote
My K3 has been recently returned after repair to the computer and now my 150-450 will not auto-focus. It maintains MF on the LCD screen regardless of the toggle switch setting, all settings on the lens are set to AF as well. My other lenses 70-200 DFA and the 18-135mm kit lens work fine. The firmware upgrade is 1.30. All other features of the lens work but when the 150-450 is attached the camera will not auto-focus or retain the menu feature, it just flashes up and then is gone. Is this a lens problem or a camera problem?
On one occasion my 150-450mm refused to focus -not even an attempt- on a K-3 with a battery going below 10% level (on my charger, on camera this would show as empty).
All other, of course smaller lenses, did work on that same battery, so my first impression was lens failure.
But It wasn't my newest battery... an other, full battery and recharging the low one solved it.
My impression is that an older , less fit battery running low might lack the power to achieve focus on this big lens....while still working on small lenses.
11-04-2023, 10:35 PM   #21

Photos: Albums
I sent my DFA150-450 to the importer here in Australia, they tried very hard to work out what was happening. They did a major clean on the inside of all the contacts and said that if that didn't work then they would have to send it back to Japan for repairs. After I got it back it hasn't been as bad but still occasionally drops out of auto focus to manual with no warning. This is on both my KP and K1-ii so not the camera. I'm putting up with it as when it is working it is great, which is 99% of the time, but I have missed a few wildlife shots because of it. If it starts getting worse, I will send it to Japan via the importer to fix properly. I can't fault the importer in Australia which is C.R. KENNEDY in Melbourne, the team in the service dept is first class. It looks like it is just an intermittent fault in the lens.