Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-12-2018, 09:38 PM   #1
Forum Member

Attached Metz flash with new batteries and loud bang!

Whoa. Not sure what happened.

Just put new batteries in my Metz 50 af-1, attached it to my newly acquired (used, purchased here on forum) K3ii and as I was raising it to my face it made a very loud bang and now won’t turn on! 🤔🤔 The glass on the flash looks fine, I don’t see any black and though it’s hard to see it looks as though I can see the bulb. Took batteries out and inspected, they look fine. Super confused and on location for a shoot starting in 20mins!! 😬😬 Shoulda got the KP!! 😝😝😝 I did notice some green corrosion on battery terminals..??

07-12-2018, 11:23 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Capacitor? Bulb?
07-13-2018, 01:03 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Some guesswork from me. If the bulb looks OK it was probably the capacitor. If the bulb is gone, the thing should still power up. The green stuff might well be the electrolyte leaking out. If the electrolyte didn't do too much damage, a repair should be possible. All in all, not much that can be done on location. A trip to a repair shop is needed.

By the sound of it, the shoot did not go as planned. I hope you were able to come up with a plan B.
07-13-2018, 02:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Thepickledimage Quote
Whoa. Not sure what happened.

Just put new batteries in my Metz 50 af-1... I did notice some green corrosion on battery terminals.
I think that whatever happened to the flash before this holds the answer to why it has blown, possibly the old batteries were left in it while it was unused and they leaked...maybe moisture got in...I don't know. But whatever it is, the result is it needs repairing or replacing.

07-13-2018, 06:07 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Capacitor failure. Usually an explosion is due to a short, likely by leakage. I would probably just replace it.
07-13-2018, 11:52 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks you guys. Living in Hawaii has its challenges-main one being moisture. I’m wondering if that has something to do with it. I appreciate all the feedback. Luckily as far as the shoot goes I enjoy natural light photography and was able to position everyone appropriately for some great shots, especially with the evening light. Unfortunately no shots with the colorful sunset behind them, but still a viable shoot. I will look into sending off for repair vs replacing. Such a bummer I ‘just’ sold my spare flash..
07-13-2018, 02:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've heard good things about Metz's service, so it's worth giving them a call to see what they say.

07-13-2018, 07:17 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
I've heard good things about Metz's service, so it's worth giving them a call to see what they say.
Oh sweet, thanks!!
07-13-2018, 07:39 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Thepickledimage Quote
Thanks you guys. Living in Hawaii has its challenges-main one being moisture. I’m wondering if that has something to do with it.
I can tell you from personal experience, moving from Kaua'i to Colorado will cure any equipment moisture issues. But you won't be able to see the ocean from the Home Depot.
07-13-2018, 11:05 PM - 1 Like   #10

Don't have any input on what happened to your flash but sorry to here about it. My two cents is about Mr. Murphy.
As soon as you think you don't need a backup and you leave it @ home or sale it. Mr. Murphy "ALWAYS" finds the time to stop by.
Murphy's Law is so amazing how often it comes true.
Glad that you made it through the photo shoot!!!!