Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2018, 08:34 PM   #1

Ioptron smart eq 3200 pro vs skyguider pro vs skywatcher star adventurer?

To mount on my k1 with 70 200 dfa and get clean star images?

07-16-2018, 10:46 PM   #2

Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posted a reply in the Astro Imaging Group to your concern. The 3200 would be a great choice..able to expand a bit down the road..(ie; add a "formal telescope" (small refractor) & guiding. The other small trackers you have listed will be a struggle with your weight. Perhaps I'll get around to taking a pic of the LXD55 & cam/lens I'm using for unguided images & post it up so you (and others) can get an idea perhaps.

The "little" trackers would work fine for a cam & semi light weight wide field lens....yet will need a little more robust mount when hanging a "weighty" combo to get acceptable results.

Others have tried using the trackers with that kind of weight..some have had some success, yet would need to be counter balanced, and they only track in RA, no DEC tracking. Both are preferred over
just one, esp when not formally guiding.

Just get the 3200 and be done with it (for now)....
07-16-2018, 11:06 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you. Based on your response, i placed an order for the 3200. Just hoping with that combo I can catch andromeda
07-17-2018, 09:52 AM   #4

Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster
with the 200 @ 200, M31's no problem...a bit "small" though....take it slow & learn the mount

07-17-2018, 10:42 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AI8877 Quote
Just hoping with that combo I can catch andromeda
That should work. Here's my take on Andromeda, using a tracking mount: M31 - The Andromeda Galaxy - PentaxForums.com

You will want to experiment between longer exposures and stacking shorter ones.
07-17-2018, 02:17 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
That should work. Here's my take on Andromeda, using a tracking mount: M31 - The Andromeda Galaxy - PentaxForums.com

You will want to experiment between longer exposures and stacking shorter ones.
That's a really nice photo. If I ever produce one like I'll be really proud.
07-17-2018, 02:22 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by AI8877 Quote
Thank you. Based on your response, i placed an order for the 3200. Just hoping with that combo I can catch andromeda
You are going to need a way to mount your cam/lens combo...

07-17-2018, 03:17 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SKYGZR Quote
If you are a bit handy at wood working and have enough 1/4-20 bolts and nuts, you can probably kludge something up like this, shown attached to a (truly vintage!) Sears (!) tracking mount, carrying an itty-bitty Q7 -- but it's also hefty enough for my K-1 + 300 DA* combo. The row of holes down the middle are threaded (tapped just by screwing a 1/4-20 bolt through an appropriate size hole) to accept a little 1/4-20 quick release thumbscrew (a la this from Amazon: amazon.com : ChromLives Quick Release Thumb Screw with 1/4?tag=pentaxforums-20&"-20 Male Female Thread (Pack of 2) : Electronics) that bolts into the mounting hole on the bottom of the camera.

Last edited by AstroDave; 07-17-2018 at 03:22 PM. Reason: get picture inserted
07-17-2018, 05:32 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SKYGZR Quote
What do you mean a way to mount the camera? I ordered a dovetal mount. That's not enough ?

---------- Post added 07-17-18 at 06:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
If you are a bit handy at wood working and have enough 1/4-20 bolts and nuts, you can probably kludge something up like this, shown attached to a (truly vintage!) Sears (!) tracking mount, carrying an itty-bitty Q7 -- but it's also hefty enough for my K-1 + 300 DA* combo. The row of holes down the middle are threaded (tapped just by screwing a 1/4-20 bolt through an appropriate size hole) to accept a little 1/4-20 quick release thumbscrew (a la this from Amazon: amazon.com : ChromLives Quick Release Thumb Screw with 1/4?tag=pentaxforums-20&"-20 Male Female Thread (Pack of 2) : Electronics) that bolts into the mounting hole on the bottom of the camera.
Oh I wish I have the skill and knowledge but I don't
07-17-2018, 08:20 PM   #10

Yes, you will need the dovetail, yet will then have to connect the cam/lens some how. Could probably use a short 1/4-20 thumb screw in the rear hole of the dove tail & attach the lens collar to that. Yet, with only one point of attachment, there is a possibility of the assembly turning-or-twisting on that one point, depending where pointed, or if that screw doesn't get tight enough to allow a good solid attachment.

Here is my solution for a more rigid attachment, and allows for lens/cam rotation if wanted to help frame the target. You could probably rotate using the collar, yet as mentioned, it's not a very
secure way to mount it.

You will have to do some figuring out things when you actually have the mount in hand....

07-17-2018, 10:59 PM   #11

Original Poster
That’s what I ordered from amazon thinking that would be all I need!
Attached Images

07-18-2018, 11:11 AM   #12
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Orion 7388 dovetail adapter for mounting a camera to an EQ mount might do the job. SKYGZR has some good points, especially about the single point of attachment. I don't know how many mount holes the foot of the DFA70-200 has, but it should be mounted such that when the mount is moved to the side (with the lens/camera axis arranged parallel to the ground), and the declination lock is released (see your Ioptron smart eq 3200 pro manual), the lens/camera remains level (neither lens nor camera tips down, as best as possible). If there is only one mount hole in the lens foot, you have to live with it (really tighten the mounting bolt).

Under NO circumstances should you use the camera tripod mount hole, as you may punch a hole into your K-1, as this bolt is known to be a bit too long for some cameras. And I'll guarantee that the lens/camera will spin.

The top of that adapter is not flat, having side ridges and a valley in between. This may or may not work well with the lens foot in terms of getting a rigid, non-spinning connection. The top looks like this:

https://www.telescope.com/Orion/Mounts-Tripods/Mount-Tripod-Accessories/14-20-Adapter-for-Orion-Telescope-Mounts

If the Orion dovetail mount is not adequate, the setup that SKYGZR shows will get the job done.
07-18-2018, 07:46 PM   #13

Original Poster
So I got the mount. I'm impressed by the fit and finish for 500 CAD. It balances my k1 with the 70 200 mm D FA pretty nice using the counterweight. However, I can not see crap through the polar scope. It's basically just black even with light flashed on the side. Any insight? Is there something I'm missing?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G955W  Photo 
07-18-2018, 08:39 PM   #14

Have you read the manual? You may have to turn the Dec axis (where the cam's mounted) 90^ (so the cam is horizontal)( to be able to sight through the PS.
07-18-2018, 08:45 PM   #15
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The problem is that the DEC shaft inside the mount head blocks the polar finder in certain positions of the the rotation of the DEC axis. Loosen the DEC lock, then rotate the dovetail section while looking through the polar scope. At some positions (usually side ways to the pole direction), the opening in the DEC shaft will align properly with the polar scope.

Last edited by TedH42; 07-18-2018 at 08:46 PM. Reason: I see SKYGZR got there first.