Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2018, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #1

What settings for 600mm on K100D?

I have my Pentax K100D and I have just acquired a sigma 600mm f8 lens. Got it mounted on camera, but haven’t a clue about setting up for a shot, any help is much appreciated, TIA, Bob.

07-18-2018, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Congratz on the new lens!

I don't own this lens - but I guess what I'd do is set auto ISO for something like 100-1600 and put the camera in an automatic mode (P mode, for example).
I'd walk around and take some pictures (f/8 = outdoor lens). Then, at home, I'd look to see what pictures turned out the best and see what settings my camera automatically decided to use to take those pictures. Then, the next time I go for a photo walk I'll know what settings I appreciated and will be able to more manually target the aperture/shutter/iso appropriately.

At that focal length, you might want to use a tripod too.

Last edited by FozzFoster; 07-18-2018 at 08:14 AM.
07-18-2018, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #3

Supposedly a very nice lens. Sigma 600mm F8 Mirror Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Set focal length for Shake Reduction to 600

In setup set "Use aperture ring" to enabled. Set "Green button in TAv & M" to "Tv shift"

Set to Manual Focus. Set mode to "Av" or "M". All modes except "M", "B" and "X" will default to "Av". In "M" use the green button to set the shutter speed.

As noted above mainly a outdoors daylight lens with a fixed aperture of f/8. Change ISO as need to obtain shutter speed ranges needed. Most situations ISO 400 should do. If you need slower shutter speeds you would need Neutral Density filters which attach or are inserted at the rear of the lens.
07-18-2018, 10:35 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since this lens doesn't have an iris and is therefore always "wide open", just use Av mode - no need to green button or anything. Just chimp a pic or two to get the exposure compensation you will probably need.

600mm is a long telephoto, the challenge with lenses this long is:
1. nailing focus, note that focusing by eye on a standard focus screen with no aids at f8 (actually more like T10) is next to hopeless. And your model pentax doesn't have live view? Lean on focus confirm and try some judicious focus bracketing. Practice will improve results as you get a sense of what good focus looks like and how results relate to the focus confirm signals. Good luck.....

2. reducing shake and movement. Shutter speeds 1/1000 + for any sort of hand holding - up the asa. Better to use tripods/support etc. I never leave home without my bean bag with a lens like this, and a remote shutter release.

Last edited by marcusBMG; 07-18-2018 at 10:48 AM.
07-18-2018, 10:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

For handheld shooting you will need to get your shutter speed up pretty high in order to shoot clear photos with a 600mm lens. That might mean you have to use wide open aperture- f/8, and/or increase ISO some. The SR on the K100D is ok, but not as advanced as current models. In addition, you are handling a bulky lens of nearly 2 lb. weight, making it yet harder to be steady for handheld shots. Otherwise, a tripod is a good idea. For handheld shooting, I would say at the very least 1/320 sec. minimum, or maybe 1/500 sec minimum would be needed.
07-18-2018, 03:26 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have that lens and it should work in any mode of the K100D if you enable the setting “use aperture ring” as stated above. It’s a decent lens and the out of focus donuts can be interesting or annoying depending upon your preference. It actually can be quite good for telephoto macros since it close focuses well.
07-19-2018, 06:39 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Fast shutter speeds hand held and use a monopod or tripod as much as possible. Remember that it's shake reduction and not elimination, results with shake reduction vary by user because some are just going to be more steady than others. Do as much as you can to eliminate camera shake first and rely on shake reduction only as needed.

09-11-2018, 08:26 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks to all who took the time to answer, much appreciated, a great site this is, thanks again,regards, Bob.