Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
07-19-2018, 06:34 PM   #16
ddb

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Could you clarify, what is a Pentax-M? Are you shooting an M-series film body, (ME, MX, etc), or a KM, or simply referring to
M(manual) Mode?

As mentioned above, the minimum recommended shutter speed in days before image stabilization was 1/focal length. With
IBIS you should be able to achieve consistently good results at 2/FL or even 3/FL. So, with IBIS and a bit of practice you should
be able to easily shoot your 135mm at shutter speeds of 1/60 or 1/45. With good technique it's even possible to shoot slower.

It really does all boil down to good technique. There are experienced shooters out there who handhold very long and heavy
lenses.
with Pentax-M I mean a set of manual lenses I collected. I have a 28/2.8 35/2 50/1.7,2 55/2 and 135/3.5 still looking for 85

so far I am trying to do 1/FL at iso 200 and it looks I still have some room to go lower. I don't take my sony a6000 to the beach because of high winds and sand. Ill definitely push the limits when I fully understand what is behind my failures.

---------- Post added 07-19-18 at 06:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Hi, Here is an online article on shooting technique, right here on the Forum.I shoot a lot at night and just as a matter, of course, have my tripod in the back seat of the truck.

thank you ill definitely read it tonight.

---------- Post added 07-19-18 at 07:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I don't see a lot of shakes, even with the shots at 1/125 (last one) That just has subject motion blur. The close up from the lens just has narrow DOF and low contrast. On the Silhoutte and the Gull the focus is a bit off.

Thank you. It was a vicious cycle sort of. I tried to get the rock waves and horizon right, Now if l close the lens I get sharp horizon, but have to compensate with speed and picture gets dark or lose water sparkles. Next time ill try with the tripod or go closer with shorter FL at wide open. For a silhouette, ill tape down the zoom ring on my 135 and pre-measure perfect focus ill ask my wife to hold a restaurant menu or something to see where is perfect distance. I have a laser range finder ill get to the bottom of it.

Last edited by ddb; 07-19-2018 at 07:06 PM.
07-20-2018, 06:08 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Ether use of a tripod serves 2 purposes' first it slows you down and as a result you think and compose more, second is image stability
The first point you make is very true. I always am happier with my results when I am using a tripod.