Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
07-18-2018, 09:10 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
New 55-300!

I am excitedly fondling my newly arrived HD DA 55-300mm lens from B&H. They pushed me over by sending me a $14 gift card which made the price $345, no tax or shipping, take that Amazon ! So, help my bewilderment, the hood included has a small removable trap door...why? Side note: in my search for info, I discovered the the Japanese Ricoh-Pentax website has FAR more information than the US site, lots more accessories and software downloads...anyway here is a pic of the PH-RBK58 hood.

Attached Images

07-18-2018, 09:25 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You remove the "trap door", as you name it, to rotate filter rings on, e.g., a circular polarizer, without having to remove the hood or poke your fingers through the front of the hood to rotate it. Very useful when needed, but easily lost once removed, so make sure to place it in your camera bag or a pocket on your clothing.
07-18-2018, 09:36 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by demondata Quote
You remove the "trap door", as you name it, to rotate filter rings on, e.g., a circular polarizer, without having to remove the hood or poke your fingers through the front of the hood to rotate it. Very useful when needed, but easily lost once removed, so make sure to place it in your camera bag or a pocket on your clothing.
Of course! Thanks!
07-19-2018, 12:17 AM - 2 Likes   #4

I nearly lost the trap door on a trip out when I first had a digital Pentax; I dropped it in the grass. It's not easy to spot because it's matt black, so I put a fluorescent orange stick on spot on both sides.

07-19-2018, 05:33 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MrEarle Quote
I am excitedly fondling my newly arrived HD DA 55-300mm lens from B&H. They pushed me over by sending me a $14 gift card which made the price $345, no tax or shipping, take that Amazon ! So, help my bewilderment, the hood included has a small removable trap door...why? Side note: in my search for info, I discovered the the Japanese Ricoh-Pentax website has FAR more information than the US site, lots more accessories and software downloads...anyway here is a pic of the PH-RBK58 hood.
Looks like you got a great buy especially if its the Pentax Hd Da 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 Ed Plm Wr Re. Its a great lens and focuses quite quickly and accurately as well as quitely. I think you will be quite pleased with your bargain.

Larry
07-19-2018, 05:59 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has anyone ever tried a stick on lens cap keeper/leash a hood door?
07-19-2018, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
remember

gaffer tape can substitute when you lose that part

and chances are that you will lose it

remember Murphy's Law and Finnigan's corollary

[ any thing that can go wrong will go wrong, Murphy was an optimist ]

07-19-2018, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think I have ever lost one of those but, of course, I rarely use them. This is ironic considering how excited I was when I realized how handy they would be.
07-19-2018, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I don't think I have ever lost one of those but, of course, I rarely use them. This is ironic considering how excited I was when I realized how handy they would be.
Same here. Since the hood is so quick to put on or off, I just remove the hood, set the polarizer and replace the hood. It's easier for me than removing the door and awkwardly working the filter with my finger through the small opening.
07-19-2018, 10:02 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
Same here. Since the hood is so quick to put on or off, I just remove the hood, set the polarizer and replace the hood. It's easier for me than removing the door and awkwardly working the filter with my finger through the small opening.
Yes, that may be it. I found replacing the little cover very fiddly.
07-19-2018, 10:59 AM   #11

Original Poster
Funny though, in the old film days before getting back into it, I never much ever used hoods at all - are new lenses more prone to flare and reflection issues than the old 35mm glass?
07-19-2018, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If anything, they're even better than ever at suppressing flare. However, the manufacturers have got better at making hoods, especially when I think of the awful tripe we used to screw on to wide-angles back then. Bayonet hood mounts make that possible.
07-19-2018, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
I love that little door, and often will just put it in my shirt pocket until done with the lens. I've gotten pretty good at pushing it with my left index finger. That direction of push/rotation also works well to keep from having the polarizer unscrew off the lens instead of adjusting as desired.
07-19-2018, 09:38 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Robot camera Quote
I put a fluorescent orange stick on spot on both sides
part of the hood's value is to suppress reflections, light on the inside of the hood could reflect off that spot. Not sure it could get to the lens, but I would not take that chance.
The metal hood I found for my DA 50 ƒ1.8 had the thread size printed on the inside in white paint, I took a black Sharpie to it, no risk from it now.
My preference would be to keep the inside face of the hood as black and non-reflective as possible. I've seen old hoods that were metal, flocked (black velvet?) on the inside.
just my 2¢