Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2018, 11:14 PM   #1

K3 little problem - forgetting date

I am the proud owner of a K3 2, previously had a K50.
I had it second hand from a shop, it works well if not for this issue: often, mainly when I change the battery, it loses all the basic informations (i.e: date and time and so...), no damage but it's annoying and I hope it's not symptom of something worse.
What is it and can I remedy?
tx

07-20-2018, 12:10 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Znarf, it sounds like the cameras internal battery ( separate from the D-Li90 ) may not be working anymore. It probably needs a visit to a camera store for a replacement. Good luck.
07-20-2018, 12:40 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some earlier threads that may shed additional light on the issue:

K20D help - forgets time and date - PentaxForums.com
Clock resets with battery change - PentaxForums.com
Date and time lost without batery - PentaxForums.com

Hope that helps.
07-20-2018, 05:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The remedy is power on the camera every day or two to keep the internal memory battery charged.

07-20-2018, 11:48 AM   #5

Like all rechargeable batteries the internal clock battery will hold less of a charge through use and age. The battery only has a limited number of discharge and recharge cycles. Less if fully discharged. Once the battery reaches a point when it will no longer hold a charge there is nothing to do but replace it.

You might try fully charging the main battery and leaving the fully charged battery in the camera without turning the camera on for at least 72 hours. This will make sure the internal battery is fully charged. If it still doesn't hold a charge it probably needs to be replaced. The battery is soldered to the mainboard and is not considered user replaceable. If you have the tools, a replacement battery and the skills you could possibly do it yourself.

Or just live with the inconvenience of have to set the time and date every time you replace the main battery.